Desktop or Laptop? Any recommendations??
Jun 21, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #31 of 42
As student I can recommend you from my own experience to go for something portable like a lightweight laptop. Mine lasts over my whole student years and it was used quite hard every day. Ok, after 5 years it doesn't look that fresh but at least it worked.
smile.gif

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #32 of 42
Netbook or a 13" laptop all the way. I never have looked back for a desktop since I switched. Period.

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #33 of 42
Another thought will you be needing your computer when you are away from school and
on break its a lot easier to snag up a laptop then pack up a desktop.

Jun 27, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #35 of 42
Sweet!
biggrin.gif

The 13" MacBook Pro looks aces...

Jun 27, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #36 of 42
i havent seen one i need to check, does it have optical?

May 4, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #38 of 42
For a college student, I am pretty sure that laptop would be the best for you. College is a fast-paced life, too. You will be running around for completing the requirements before the deadline. I used an HP, though.

May 6, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #39 of 42
Definitely laptop!

Computers are a commodity these days, so don't go crazy.  I spend lots of money getting the newest and best during my earlier years in college.  During my senior year, I did tons of intensive engineering work on a Thinkpad I bought for $350.  It handled everything like a champ.

I would completely echo the comment made earlier: buy an inexpensive, used Thinkpad!  It will last forever, you won't feel bad if you manage to kill or lose it, and the performance is great.  I used a T61 for most of this year, and just "upgraded" to a T60p with the IPS UXGA screen.

There are lots of kids in college who spend $2k on a MBP, only to use it for typing English papers and surfing Facebook.  On the other hand, I was using my $350 Thinkpad for heavy CAD duty (T61 had a Quadro, T60p has a FireGL), signal and image processing in Matlab, typesetting big reports for senior design in LaTeX, and a lot of other things.  Make the most of what you have, and if you find that you somehow really need more power, upgrade without breaking the bank.

May 6, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #40 of 42
sony vaio has a new  laptop model thats in your price range and sports a Core i5!   its the blue lookin one on their site forget model number. 
   that one is way portable but if you want i7 you must get a 16.5 screen i think... or if you have more funds the Z laptop is  my favorite and has core i7.

cheers

May 6, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #41 of 42
I hope you guys know that you've resurrected a year-old thread.

And in my case, I'm going from laptop to desktop. Right now I have my 17" laptop closed, but it's outputting to a 26" monitor, a full-size keyboard, a Pico DAC, and a mouse. Next year I'm definitely bringing my desktop on campus, throwing in a quad, and beginning to fold like none other, because here on campus we aren't charged for how much electricity or air conditioning we use.
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #42 of 42

Take it from a current college student: One study session where you cannot bring your computer and you wish you had a laptop.  Also, you need it for live music performances?  What on Earth prompted you to think an iMac was appropriate for that?  Laptop all the way.

-Nkk  <-- a proud Linux user who if forced to would take Windows over Mac.  :p

EDIT:  It seems I assumed this was recent due to the recent activity on it.  Oh well...hope you liked whatever you chose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back