Desktop DAC/AMP combo for Desktop under 200$
Feb 20, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 9
I am looking for a DAC/AMP combo to power my HiFiman HE-400i. My budget in anything within 200$.

I'm in the same boat. I have the Audioengine D1 and it's good. I want for more power though. It's unsustainably loud at full tilt for long perioods but when your really enjoying a song you will find yourself so close to full tilt that there's no headroom left. This coming from someone who most often listens at fairly low levels. 

It DOES sound good with them though.

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 9
Schiit Magni/Modi stack is always a safe bet. Do you have any particular input/output needs?

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 9
I am looking for USB input, output may be anything. I would love to have dsd support, but that's not a deal breaker.
I would prefer all in one DAC amp combo rather than stack.

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 9
Being in the same shoes as you I can say what most of your options are, Dacport HD, Schiit Fulla 2, Magni/Modi stack but this will be over $200 after shipping, Audioengine D1, SMSL M6 (they have lower offerings but that has the same dac as the D1, Fulla 2 and Dacport HD), XDuoo TA-01, iFi Nano iDSD, and HiFiman EF2C though it seems universally stated that the amp in that thing is great but the DAC clips and that it is much improved by using different tubes.

There are others of course but these are the ones with the power to drive it that are well regarded. I didn't mention the DragonFly Black or Red because I'm not sure if they provide enough power or not. 

Apr 3, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #7 of 9
Some notes that address my concerns.  That is how the amp is powered and the price.  If I am off on any of this, let me know.  I am mostly turned off by the idea of having my Android phone act as an audio source and power source.  This will be a dedicated amp for my use at work so I'm not going anywhere with the dac/amp.  When I go for a run, I use headphones made for that and SQ is not important.

FWIW: I have ATH-M50s

The summary:

Schiit Fulla 2 - dedicated USB input for power(wallwart) - ~$200
Dacport HD - powered by USB input/source (phone) -  $~$200
Magni/Modi stack - powered by walwart (awesome!) - $360
Audioengine D1 - powered by USB input/source (phone) -  $~$120 - $170
SMSL M6  - powered by walwart (awesome!) - $160
XDuoo TA-01 - powered by walwart (awesome!) - $160
iFi Nano iDSD - powered by USB input/source (phone) -  $~$130
HiFiman EF2C - powered by walwart (awesome!) - $160

Useful links:

SMSL M6 discussion:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/779544/can-anyone-tell-us-about-the-new-smsl-m6/30

XDuoo TA-01
It's a tube amp!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/682282/xduoo-amplifiers/60
http://www.head-fi.org/t/803456/aune-t1-vs-xduoo-ta-01

Questions

Do these all wok with Anrdroid phones?

Can someone explain to me what an otg cable is and what it's purpose is?

This is my short list (walwart powered):
Schiit Fulla 2 - dedicated USB input for power (wallwart) - ~$200
Magni/Modi stack - powered by walwart (awesome!) - $360
SMSL M6  - powered by walwart (awesome!) - $160
XDuoo TA-01 - powered by walwart (awesome!) - $160

Removed from short list
HiFiman EF2C - powered by walwart (awesome!) - $160
- Keep reading about DAC issues.

Apr 3, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #8 of 9
I am looking for USB input, output may be anything. I would love to have dsd support, but that's not a deal breaker.
I would prefer all in one DAC amp combo rather than stack.

Pangea HP101 is $50 on Amazon right now. That leaves you $150 to put towards something really good later on, like an AudioGD NFB-11. Or whatever they release by the time you have $400.

Works via USB OTG too.

Apr 3, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #9 of 9
USB power from your phone is nice because a battery puts out DC - whereas a wallwart has to convert it. It really just depends on the DAC/amp as to how good the PSU is, I wouldn't worry too much about these things though it's good to be aware. Unless you have really noisy AC in your building, a wallwart probably can do a good enough job with some capacitors thrown in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back