Desktop amps neutral like the O2 but with more power...
Mar 4, 2013 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kskwerl

Headphoneus Supremus
Can anyone recommend me some amps that have the same neutral sound sig as the O2 but have more power? I like to have more power so I can blow the drivers on my headphones, it's a fetish I have.

Mar 4, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

In that case connect the headphones to speaker outs. If that doesn't do it then try the AC outlets.

part of the fetish is that it has to be a desktop amp for headphones 
frown.gif

Mar 4, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 16
Try the Headroom Micro Amp.
I might be able to blow up an HD-598 with it, but i've never tried.
I don't even use High Gain for anything.

The Magni will do it too..

Mar 5, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #7 of 16
Headroom amps have a dark signature.  I wouldn't call them neutral. 

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
Headroom amps have a dark signature.  I wouldn't call them neutral. 

Nonsense! Not even remotely dark..at least not the Micro Amp. Dead neutral IMO, but not "cold and analytical". This one is not much different than the Schiit Magni in terms of neutrality. Both have very well extended treble.
The Micro is a bit fuller sounding, but we're talking like a 2% difference. The E9 is actually warmer.

I would actually say the Micro is even more transparent than the Magni. If it ever sounds dark it's due to what's connected. The amp basically disappears.
For about forever I blamed my amp for things, when it fact it was my DAC! Stupid me..

If you check on Tyll's website it measures ruler flat and no roll off at 10khz. It actually makes the Fiio E9 seem dark in comparison.
The measurements are kind of hidden, but they are there somewhere.

NOTE: I've had the Micro for 3 years, so I know it's signature inside it out. It has none
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
Can anyone recommend me some amps that have the same neutral sound sig as the O2 but have more power? I like to have more power so I can blow the drivers on my headphones, it's a fetish I have.

The most powerful All-in-one DAC/Amp/Preamp  combos are The Conductor by Burson and the M903 by Grace Designs. They both have a clean 2 wpc into 32 Ohms. The most powerful stand alone Amp that I know of is the Schiit Lyr @ 6 wpc into 32 ohms. but I have never heard one and have no idea how clean that is...

I will follow this thread with great interest. I've been known to "crank it up" a little myself and will probably end up buying a powerhouse Amp once I get my DAC/Preamp purchase settled... 
wink.gif

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

You may want to look again at the audio-gd range - several of the single ended DAC/Amp combos output around 2.8W at 32 ohm. 

Those specs are for Balanced Outputs I believe. The owner of the company sent me this email:

Dear Barry,
The Compass 2 is most powerful ( unbalanced) DAC and AMP all in one combo.
We have not return policy, so sorry.
Here is the quote...

According to their website the Compass 2 has 2W @ 50 ohm. I didn't see any specs for 32 Ohm on the Compass 2 but it's feasible it could be 2.5W @32 Ohm. 

Mar 6, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #15 of 16
None of your current headphones need all that much. HD 600 is the only one that is demanding whatsoever I recon.

Holographic Audio Ear One is as neutral as I ever come by. Haven´t heard the O2 though though it´s designed from the same concept pretty much as in being transparent. 3W at 32 ohms and I haven´t had any issues with it whatsoever. 

SPL Auditor do well with high impedance headphones but not so much with low impedance headphones I feel.

SA-31 10W if you are serious about the W contest but that is in their musical line. I have the C-2.1 and I feel it´s not as strictly neutral as the Ear One but it´s liquid sound and tube like presentation with deep and wide soundstage can be seriously addictive. It only has a  touch of warmth. C-2.2 has 5W of channels. Don´t know if it sound pretty much the same as the C-2.1 and is perhaps discontinued?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back