1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Desktop Amp for IEM's

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by bionicman, Feb 5, 2015.
  1. bionicman
    After spending countless hours researching and a failed experiment with the Fiio E10K, I need some help . . .

I'm looking for a desktop amp (or Amp/DAC) that can specifically handle IEM's, in particular the Klipsch S4 and Sony MDR-7550. I tried the Fiio E10K and it sounded muddy and didn't have ANYWHERE near enough power even on the high gain setting - which really surprised me. This is a strictly office setup, so I'm not looking to spend big money. My current setup is: desktop computer > Schiit Modi > Logitech Z130 > Klipsch S4 into the headphone jack on the Z130. It honestly sounds halfway decent, but lately I've been getting some pops/dropouts and I'm not sure if it's related to the Z130, Modi, or the motherboard. Either way, I feel that improving on the Z130 for amplification shouldn't be particularly difficult, even for less than $150. Naturally I'd lean towards the Schiit Magni or Fulla, but I've read a few negative reviews on both considering IEM use. Somebody please point me in the right direction . . . 

2. bionicman
    I figured out the software issue holding the Fiio E10K back in volume, but it still sounds pretty poor. The mids are muddled and the soundstage is terribly narrow. Frankly, I can't imagine why anyone would recommend this unit. (and I LOVE my Fiio X5, so I'm no Fiio hater) Any suggestions for a decent priced amp???

3. bionicman
    Hmm, no suggestions, huh?

4. jodgey4
    O2/ODAC is always an option IIRC, custom unity gain and you'd be good to go.

5. bionicman

I was seriously considering combining the O2 amp with my Schiit Modi until I realized that it was battery powered. I'm not sure what the long term reliability would be like with the batteries in a state of constant charging. Any thoughts?

6. Oklahoma
    What issues have you seen with the magni and iems? I just purchased it and couldn't be happier. My main headphones i use are B&W P7 and on low gain it get to about 9 o'clock on the volume and it is loud. I have a set of the Sure SE425s at home and can see how they do tonight.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

7. bionicman
    I read issues regarding the original Magni and floor noise when used with IEM's. With the new model equipped with 2 gain options, perhaps that's no longer an issue . . .

8. ProtegeManiac Contributor

Doesn't it have a charging on/off switch? I have an Ibasso D-Zero that I use with my ASG-1.3 (all other Ibassos have that charging switch AFAIK), and this set-up is what I use when I'm working on my laptop (at the office and at home). I charge the D-Zero with a real charger (a USB+AC surge protector that I also use on my tablet) isntead of USB, and from full with roughly three to four hours of use everyday (on weekends I use them at home), I get about twenty days. That's roughly up to 80 hours of battery life on a single charge driving a 32ohm, 125dB/1mW IEM.

9. bionicman
    Just wanted to bump this necro thread because I finally found the perfect solution and it sounds surprisingly good.

Pandora One via USB < Schiit Modi < custom O2 amp < Klipsch X11

I'm using the JDS Labs Objective 2 with the following options:
     - no batteries, AC power only
     - 2.5 & 6.5 amplification (2.5x is plenty for the X11's)
     - rear RCA inputs
     - rear AC power jack

I bought a B-Stock model (no visible issues) with these options and it was only $107. A very cheap and effective solution.

Thanks to jodgey4 for the original suggestion on the O2.

jodgey4 likes this.