Desktop Amp for Hifiman HE 500
Dec 9, 2014 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

KewlMunky

500+ Head-Fier
Hello all. Sometime next year I plan on getting the Hifiman HE 500 headphones. This will be my first set that would actually require an amp to drive. I am very inexperienced with headphones amps. The only one I have used is the Fiio E17, which I don't believe would power them sufficiently. Is there an amp in the $200 range that would power these headphones well? I have been looking at the Hifiman EF 2a amp, which can be had on Amazon for $169.

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #3 of 12
Looks like the Asgard 2 wouldn't be too far past what I initially wanted to spend. I could possibly try to get one off of ebay for a good price as well. I have seen a lot of people recommend the Lyr, but you believe the Asgard 2 would suffice?

If it really comes down to it, I will spend the extra to go with an amp that will make me satisfied with these headphones, rather than going cheap now and ending up spending the extra down the road on a better amp. That's the reaosn why I'm going with the HE 500's over the 400's. I've just read so much about how the 500's improve upon the 400's. I've had car audio long enough to know that if there is something higher end that I have my eyes on, I'm going to eventually get it. So rather than spend some now and spend even more down the road, I'd rather just make the high investment right away.

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #4 of 12
I don't know if head-audio works quite the same...personally, I've developed a bigger interest in many different types of headphones, as each pair has its own strengths, and the same applies to amplifiers.

But as for amps, Asgard is the solid state amp of Schiit's middle tier. Good on current capacity, less good on voltage (hence the lower power output at very high impedances). Valhalla is the all tube amp, with excellent voltage potential, but with less current output. Lyr is the best of both worlds. Using a hybrid design, it can source much more current than Asgard while still managing good voltage for high impedance cans. (Also note: you might find lower prices on used versiona of the original "1" models. The "2's" available straight from Schiit are a little better, but also include gain switches and preamp outs, offering more function over the older models.)

Anyway...I think Asgard will probably do well. Lyr will have some more versatility. My recommendation, however, is to try everything. You clearly indicate that you aren't on the verge of purchasing any of this tomorrow, so try to find some meetups or a real store to test these for yourself. If you can, get the headphones first and plug them into someone's amp (with premission!) and see how you like it.

Oh, and keep in mind that Schiit do offer 15-day satisfaction guarantees. So if you have a flexible bank account, you could try a couple amps and keep the one you prefer. You'll only lose the 5% restocking fee (plus shipping, maybe) on Lyr and Asgard.

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #5 of 12
The road to the head-fi poor-house is paved with the corpses of head-fiers that were convinced that each time they made a purchase, they had finally bought their last headphones & amps.

There is a reason the traditional greeting is: Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet...

:wink:

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #6 of 12
Unfortunately, I have no local stores that sell anything of the sort. All they sell are the basic Bose, Skull Candy, Beats, Sony, with the occaisional Audio Technica. Only one car audio store here has headphones, but nothing that interests me. North Dakota can be a bit dry sometimes :frowning2:

Maybe I'll get the chance to venture out of state and find some stores or a meetup before I purchase my new equipment. I appriciate the input guys. I'll keep doing some searching.

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #7 of 12
The draws of the much more expensive Lyr are its power and (to a less extent) tube rolling.  If you were getting the HE-6, the Lyr is the way to go.  However the HE 500, which is not easy to drive in its own right, does not require the Lyr level of power.  Although I know that it is Head-Fi sacrilege, I suggest that you keep the extra $200 or so in your pocket.

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #8 of 12
  The draws of the much more expensive Lyr are its power and (to a less extent) tube rolling.  If you were getting the HE-6, the Lyr is the way to go.  However the HE 500, which is not easy to drive in its own right, does not require the Lyr level of power.  Although I know that it is Head-Fi sacrilege, I suggest that you keep the extra $200 or so in your pocket.

So you would suggest I stick with the Asgard 2 then?

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #9 of 12
I'm not arguing the fact that the asgard 2 can adequately drive the HE500 but I think you're shortchanging the Lyr a bit by saying the draws are power and tube rolling. The power and tube rolling is nice but it sounds damn good too. 

OP - the HE400 and 500 don't sound alike. I wouldn't necessarily say the the 400 is inferior to the 500 it just sounds different. 

Dec 10, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #10 of 12

So you would suggest I stick with the Asgard 2 then?

Yes--in your situation.  Many prefer the HE 500 from the Asgard over the Lyr.  Of course reasonable ears are on both sides.

You will find that the mids of the HE 500 are vastly more accurate and superior than those of the HE 400.

Dec 10, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #11 of 12

Yes--in your situation.  Many prefer the HE 500 from the Asgard over the Lyr.  Of course reasonable ears are on both sides.

You will find that the mids of the HE 500 are vastly more accurate and superior than those of the HE 400.

I'm not arguing the fact that the asgard 2 can adequately drive the HE500 but I think you're shortchanging the Lyr a bit by saying the draws are power and tube rolling. The power and tube rolling is nice but it sounds damn good too.

OP - the HE400 and 500 don't sound alike. I wouldn't necessarily say the the 400 is inferior to the 500 it just sounds different.

Most of what I have heard between the two is that the 400 can have rather piercing highs, and that the 500 has them toned down more. That, and the mids are much better. I've also heard that both have good bass precense, which is what I am looking for. Not overly done, but just some extra.

Dec 10, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #12 of 12
Problem is that there at least two versions of the HE 400.  The early one was almost a basshead lite can.  The later ones I have heard (for at least two years or so now) is more balanced but with slightly funky and slightly unnatural mids.  I did not find its highs to be anything near piercing.  Perhaps some find them a bit bright.

The HE-500 improves just about everything that the HE 400 offers--and most especially the mids, which are outstanding in the 500.  Some may still find the HE 500 to be a bit on the bright side, but it seems that most of those are OK or much more than OK with the Prince of Darkness, the LCD 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back