Desk mic
Mar 4, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #4 of 22
Doesn´t have noise canceling?
Not sure what you mean by noise cancelling, but I also have a blue yeti and if you're willing to spend a bit of time in software setup, you can filter out most ambient noise. Of course if it's mounted on your desk it will pick up bass noises if you slam, bump into, set mouse down hard on your desk. It will also pick up keystrokes if you have a loud mechanical keyboard but that's pretty much any mic unless you manage to filter out that particular frequency without too much affect on your voice. And if the desk slams being picked up is a real problem for you, you can always use a wall shelf and mount it to that with a boom arm and the desk slams will just pick up like any other headset mic rather than being transferred directly through the arm/stand like it will be when on the desk.

Mar 4, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 22
Like @Nitr0 mentioned you can reject a lot of noise by setting up a noise gate and gain filter, which makes using a condenser microphone like the Yeti more than reasonable. The Yeti also has multiple pickup patterns which can help reject side/rear noise depending on the setting. If I was trying to place a mic 1m away in my current setup, I'd probably end up using one of my condenser mics (the Yeti is a solid pick) or a shotgun. With that distance, you'll probably want to look into controlling some of reflections in the room with acoustic foam or by hanging some heavy blankets. If the Yeti isn't for you, you could also consider the Blue Snowball, Audio-Technica AT2020, or Rode NT-USB microphones. All three are solidly performing USB condenser mics at alternative price points.

Most noise cancelling microphones are designed to be within inches of the mouth, not across the room. You'll see them more on headsets or boom mics like the BoomPro (which has passive noise reduction, not active cancelling) rather than on standalone microphones.

As overkill as it may be, I currently game with a Shure KSM8 mounted on a mic boom attached to my desk, suspended in a cheap shock mount, running into an XLR interface, USB to the computer, into whatever game I'm currently playing. The KSM8 isn't hyper sensitive, being a stage microphone, so it's suspended about 3-6 inches away from my face. That setup gives me the most noise rejection, so teammates hardly hear my typing, AC noise, room noise, etc.

Mar 5, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #6 of 22
Not sure what you mean by noise cancelling, but I also have a blue yeti and if you're willing to spend a bit of time in software setup, you can filter out most ambient noise. Of course if it's mounted on your desk it will pick up bass noises if you slam, bump into, set mouse down hard on your desk. It will also pick up keystrokes if you have a loud mechanical keyboard but that's pretty much any mic unless you manage to filter out that particular frequency without too much affect on your voice. And if the desk slams being picked up is a real problem for you, you can always use a wall shelf and mount it to that with a boom arm and the desk slams will just pick up like any other headset mic rather than being transferred directly through the arm/stand like it will be when on the desk.
Like @Nitr0 mentioned you can reject a lot of noise by setting up a noise gate and gain filter, which makes using a condenser microphone like the Yeti more than reasonable. The Yeti also has multiple pickup patterns which can help reject side/rear noise depending on the setting. If I was trying to place a mic 1m away in my current setup, I'd probably end up using one of my condenser mics (the Yeti is a solid pick) or a shotgun. With that distance, you'll probably want to look into controlling some of reflections in the room with acoustic foam or by hanging some heavy blankets. If the Yeti isn't for you, you could also consider the Blue Snowball, Audio-Technica AT2020, or Rode NT-USB microphones. All three are solidly performing USB condenser mics at alternative price points.

Most noise cancelling microphones are designed to be within inches of the mouth, not across the room. You'll see them more on headsets or boom mics like the BoomPro (which has passive noise reduction, not active cancelling) rather than on standalone microphones.

As overkill as it may be, I currently game with a Shure KSM8 mounted on a mic boom attached to my desk, suspended in a cheap shock mount, running into an XLR interface, USB to the computer, into whatever game I'm currently playing. The KSM8 isn't hyper sensitive, being a stage microphone, so it's suspended about 3-6 inches away from my face. That setup gives me the most noise rejection, so teammates hardly hear my typing, AC noise, room noise, etc.

Thanks very much for the clarification guys. very helpfull.
The mic its intended to use in games and 90% of the time with friends in discord. My keybord has red switches so typing wont be much of a problem. My only concern is if the mic catch clearly my voice at maybe 1,5 arm distance.
I´ll probably go for the snowball because of price. I use v-mode boom pro so i hope i can see huge diference in voice quality.

Thanks very much for the clarification guys. very helpfull.
The mic its intended to use in games and 90% of the time with friends in discord. My keybord has red switches so typing wont be much of a problem. My only concern is if the mic catch clearly my voice at maybe 1,5 arm distance.
I´ll probably go for the snowball because of price. I use v-mode boom pro so i hope i can see huge diference in voice quality.
I can buy the blue yeti blackout (2 year used) for 70€.. Dunno if thats a good deal compared to a new snowball. what do you think?

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #10 of 22
Unfortunately I don't have any first-hand experience with the Yeti Nano, but maybe someone else will. I haven't had a bad experience with a Blue Microphones product so far, and I've tried a good chunk of their lineup from the Snowball to the Kiwi.
And what do you think about the AT2020usb+ (i can buy it for arround 80€ in sale)? This or the snowball for arround 60€?
Also, the snowball have mute button?

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #11 of 22
I haven't use the AT2020USB+, but it's the replacement for the original AT2020USB which I thought was an excellent USB microphone. The Snowball that I own doesn't have a mute button, but you can create a keyboard shortcut for the same effect. And there's always push to talk for Discord too.

With a 20€ difference, I'd give the AT2020USB+ a go. I preferred the captures of the AT2020USB to the Snowball. The Snowball is great for the price, but to me the AT2020USB was better overall. Looking at the design, I think the physical controls on the AT2020USB+ look like a nice improvement, but again I don't have any first-hand experience with the Plus model.

Mar 6, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #13 of 22
Have you thought about an attachable microphone? I attach my Audio-Technica ATGM2 to whatever headphone im currently running and it works great.
I was using v-moda boom pro and it also worked well but my current headphone dont have detacheble cable so i canot use v-moda anymore.
Problem is i don´t want an extra cable and mod mic wireless its way to expensive.

Mar 6, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #14 of 22
I haven't use the AT2020USB+, but it's the replacement for the original AT2020USB which I thought was an excellent USB microphone. The Snowball that I own doesn't have a mute button, but you can create a keyboard shortcut for the same effect. And there's always push to talk for Discord too.

With a 20€ difference, I'd give the AT2020USB+ a go. I preferred the captures of the AT2020USB to the Snowball. The Snowball is great for the price, but to me the AT2020USB was better overall. Looking at the design, I think the physical controls on the AT2020USB+ look like a nice improvement, but again I don't have any first-hand experience with the Plus model.

I wonder if the AT2020usb+ can mute mic with the volume control.. i can´t see that info anywhere.

Mar 6, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #15 of 22
I wonder if the AT2020usb+ can mute mic with the volume control.. i can´t see that info anywhere.
As far as muting goes, at least in terms of discord, I highly recommend just setting up a hot key for that. Once you get used to that it’s so much more intuitive than using an in line button on a mic cable or pressing a button on a mic itself. If you have an extra button on your mouse that’s perfect, if not then a keyboard key would work just fine as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back