description of how the ATH-xx700’s sound
Mar 6, 2006 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

boead

100+ Head-Fier
You guys, as usual, were a big help learning about AT clipons and earbuds.

I did a search on the ATH-AD700, ATH-A700 and Pro700 SV’s. My impression is that there aren’t many users of them. Why?

How do they compare to popular brands like Sennheiser, AKG and Beyer? What models to they compete with? From reading I didn’t’ get a clear impression of how they sound.

I’ve been fortunate to have heard more then a dozen popular model headphone in the last year or two. I drive mine primarily with an VanAlstine T7 SLR pre which has a superb FetValve (12AT7) section. I have also toyed with using my Zen SET. My buddy has a SinglePoint and has/had a variety of headphone amps.

Some of my favorite headphone are the HD-600’s with ZuCable, the new 701’s and the Sony 5000’s as well as the Beyer 880’s.
I didn’t like the Grado SR 80’s, 225’s or the 325’s at all. I also didn’t like the AKG 501’s all that much, they sound stage well but have NO bass.

I think the Senn HD-25 are nice for a closed headphone and can be driven with an iPod. I can’t do that with my HD-600’s, that’s what my old PortaPros and 75’s are for.

Any description of how the ATH-xx700’s sound would be appreciated? And what about the 500’s?

Thanks again.

Mar 6, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 5
I have a pair of A700s and while they are a good pair of cans, they don't satisfy me 100%. I really should've gotten a pair of MS-1s or 555s. The A700 has nice deep bass extension and beautiful, slightly sibilant but no so bad highs. Mids are really recessed. Vocals really don't stand out on the A700s and sound distant (my biggest complaint with them).However, they are good all around cans and don't really shine in one genre. Comfort is also a big plus with these.

-- edit --

The reason people don't buy the cans in the middle is because people buy extremes. If they are looking for value they go with the 500s, if they are looking for the best sound they go for the 900s. I bought the 700s because I wanted to save every penny and didn't want to spend the extra $30 from wh,at I understand is, minimal gain.

Mar 6, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #3 of 5
For the ATH-Axxx, people usually go all out or save money.

People with less money get the ATH-A500, while people who have money go for the A700 instead of treading on the middle.

apnk is selling a mint condition A900... Almost the price of A700.

Mar 6, 2006 at 12:31 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckluck
I have a pair of A700s and while they are a good pair of cans, they don't satisfy me 100%. I really should've gotten a pair of MS-1s or 555s. The A700 has nice deep bass extension and beautiful, slightly sibilant but no so bad highs. Mids are really recessed. Vocals really don't stand out on the A700s and sound distant (my biggest complaint with them).However, they are good all around cans and don't really shine in one genre. Comfort is also a big plus with these.

-- edit --

The reason people don't buy the cans in the middle is because people buy extremes. If they are looking for value they go with the 500s, if they are looking for the best sound they go for the 900s. I bought the 700s because I wanted to save every penny and didn't want to spend the extra $30 from wh,at I understand is, minimal gain.

So the A700’s have more bass then the AD700, due to its closed back design?

How’s the sound stage on the A700? I assume the open back AD700 is larger. DO they sue the same driver?

Mar 7, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #5 of 5
I have the PRO700's. I gave the AD700's a try but them sent them back in exchange for the PRO's.

THe AD's are very lean and lack low end punch. They are well extended, fast, have a very large soundstage, and are very resolving. They lack impact in the low end. Impressive and lacking at the same time.

The A's have a slightly smaller soundtage, a little less resolving(almost equal detail but less seperation) and the mids are recessed. The large cups give a larger soundstage at the expense of losing some mids. AT of course makes better attempts to fix that problem as you go higher up the line. Much better bass.

The PRO700 has a smaller enclosure(and the smallest soundstage) and has the best mids of the bunch. Not as resolved as the AD's with vocals but better overall and more prominant, even with much more bass. As much detail as the other two but the least resolved and slightly less extended. No major sonic flaw. The low end is clearly better than the AD's and the mids are clearly better than the A's. The soundstage is actually pretty good. Having had an AKG K401 and the AD700 I know and like a nice large soundstage. The PRO's have enough for for me to be quite happy. IMO, they are best of the three and a well spent $105.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back