Describing Sound for newbies
Jul 17, 2009 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

talisman42

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've been reading many of the reviews and I'm unclear with some of the descriptions; like 'forward mids' and 'tight bass'. I'm sure there are others. More input and definitions would be appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

I have several phones to compare, as well as different tips. I also play with the EQ a bit so I can discover the sound that fits me. All things being equal, how would a person simulate these descriptors using the EQ? For example, would a forward mid have a mountain shape on the EQ? Conversely, strong bass and treble would have a U-shape? I'll stop here before I confuse myself any further
redface.gif

Jul 17, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 9
Yep- that guide helped me to understand lingo quite a bit. Now I use the lingo!

Jul 17, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 9
Forward mids just means the mids (usually referring to vocals, but also possibly guitars etc) are more prominent or easily heard in comparison to the other frequencies.

Tight bass just means the bass is well controlled, which usually means it's not boomy or very high in quantity (although tight does not automatically mean low quantity by itself)

The rest of your analysis sounds pretty accurate.

Jul 17, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for the clarification on the mids and bass. Also, reading the guide had some references to frequencies which is helpful. In theory, I'm guessing that the subtle differences between phones can be matched with the aid of an EQ? For instance, I've read the feedback on the UM3X and W3. Can minor EQ tweaks make one sound like the other? and vice versa?

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forward mids just means the mids (usually referring to vocals, but also possibly guitars etc) are more prominent or easily heard in comparison to the other frequencies.

Tight bass just means the bass is well controlled, which usually means it's not boomy or very high in quantity (although tight does not automatically mean low quantity by itself)

The rest of your analysis sounds pretty accurate.

Jul 17, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #8 of 9
Yes and no. It depends on a few things.

Ipod EQ is close to useless, and isn't much good except for making darker phones sound a bit brighter with say, the acoustic EQ.

There are some phones you can EQ a bit more successfully than others. It can be useful for some things, but I don't know any EQ on a portable that will help overall warmth a lot. They tend not to work on such low level frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back