Depeche Mode Remasters?!
Mar 3, 2006 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Twombly

100+ Head-Fier
Taken from Pitchfork:

"To remain relevant in a world where cassingles don't have quite the caché they once did, Dave Gahan and gang also plan to roll out DVD and SACD reissues of the Depeche Mode back catalog. Speak & Spell, Music for the Masses, and Violator are slated for an April 25 release. The remastering was supervised by each album's original producer, and they include 5.1 surround sound mixes, extra tracks, and bonus remixes like the unfortunately titled 'Just Can't Get Enough (schizo mix)'."
Why are they doing this? Those albums are well recorded. Some Great Reward, Exciter and Playing the Angel are the only ones that need a remaster.

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 8
I agree with you. The only reasoning I can think of is that they want to reach another generation that is more interested in the newer formats. SACD has taken some root and needs more releases. Having Violator on SACD doesn't seem too shabby. I've got it on vinyl and CD and am quite happy with both ("World in my Eyes" on vinyl is wooooooooonderful).

Mar 4, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 8
5.1 5.1 5.1 5.1 5.1 5.1

If the surround mixes are done right, it could be an awesome experience. And congrats to Depeche Mode for reaching granddaddy status deemed worthy for the SACD treatment.

Mar 5, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
5.1 5.1 5.1 5.1 5.1 5.1

If the surround mixes are done right, it could be an awesome experience. And congrats to Depeche Mode for reaching granddaddy status deemed worthy for the SACD treatment.

Ha ha, grand daddy status. That sounds more like a euphemism for "culturally stale" than a compliment.
wink.gif

*cough*Playing the Angel*cough*is thematically identical*cough*to all their previous releases*cough*

Excuse me, I needed a drink there.

Well, the only track for which I think 5.1 would be necessary to the experience would be "One Caress". Because I really think we need to hear some woman's coitus in surround sound.

And that bonus remix track the reviewer mentioned is already on the horrid Remixes 81-04 which I was suckered into buying since Linkin Park's Mike Shinoda was on there (quiet, you! I was twelve at the time). At least it got me into the good 'ol days of Mode.

Apr 3, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #5 of 8
It looks like this is the best remaster to get so far - check out the extra 5.1 track remixes!

06_mftm.jpg

Apr 3, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twombly
Well, the only track for which I think 5.1 would be necessary to the experience would be "One Caress". Because I really think we need to hear some woman's coitus in surround sound.

icon10.gif
Just read that.

Anyway, 25 is the April drop date for Uncle Sam. No high rez surround?
mad.gif
Oh well, that was a pipe dream anyway. At least we get DTS.

Apr 3, 2006 at 9:51 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twombly
Taken from Pitchfork:

Some Great Reward, Exciter and Playing the Angel are the only ones that need a remaster.

You think PTA needs remastering? Its a different kind of sound, to me its seems a little flat, I wouldn't think it'd benefit from remastering anyway.

Having their back catalogue in 5.1 would be great though.

Apr 3, 2006 at 1:07 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
icon10.gif
Just read that.

Anyway, 25 is the April drop date for Uncle Sam. No high rez surround?
mad.gif
Oh well, that was a pipe dream anyway. At least we get DTS.

I notice that there are no specs listed for the SACD on that Music for the Masses cover, only the lossy 5.1 tracks on the DVD. Maybe we'll get a high-rez 5.1 surround mix on the SACD... maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back