Denver, NC meet Impressions, January 20, 2013........AKA Charlotte area meet
Jan 22, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #31 of 140
Quote:
;( I wish I my uncle didn't die. Then I would still have him and I would have been at this fantastic meet. Ughhhhh. Oh well. I really wanted to try the Sony's, audeze, sennheiser, and the grado models that were all there. Thanks for the opportunity tho, even if I couldn't come.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sorry for your loss... I hope the next meet can happen at a less stressful time.

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #32 of 140
Quote:

Did you try the HE-500 on the La Figaro 339 or the V200/V800 pairing (or something else)?  If you tried them on the LF339 pairing, they're going to sound more laid back than you're used to... however, I found that the V200/V800 pairing connected via balanced cable in the back made the HE-500 sound like a 98-99% well driven HE-6.  If it is connected RCA with the exact same combo, then I think the LF339 and HE-500 pairing sounds better... weird how that works right?

Also, what did you pair the HD800 with at the meet?  Some pairings only allow the HD800 to sound exceptionally good for slower stuff and really good recordings, but other pairings allow it to actually be rather fast, while still retaining its vast soundstage and detail retrieval.

i had the 500 running on my fairly modest set up. Simply because that's what i'm used to. So ALAC--->FiiO E10--->Matrix M Stage. 

The 800 was through a high end tube amp (sorry tubes are really not my area of expertise) The one down from on the right as you entered the room.  I'm pretty sure it was through a top of the line music streamer dac too.The rig as a whole was quite impressive. 

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #33 of 140
Quote:

It really tickled me to see the CD 3000 grow legs and sprint around the room. Hope everybody got to try it who wanted to -- I think it's an unjustly obscure piece of kit well deserving of a reissue. And, yes, it really loves tubes. I had made a mental note to try it on the La Figaro and 2A3 but, again, never got around to it. Next time for sure.

For the record, it cost me a little over $350 for it last year, used, and I don't regret it a bit.

Good to see some CD3000 love. They are an awesome headphone that have fallen off the radar in recent years. Too bad it's near impossible to find replacement parts. I took a pair to a meet in Sydney a few months back, but no one touched them :frowning2:

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #35 of 140
Quote:
any impression on comparison between the crack and 339 on hd650?

Sadly, I didn't have a chance to try the HD650 on the LaFigaro (even though they were literally sitting right next to each other) but once I heard it on the Crack I was sold, and I seriously doubt the 339 would have changed anything at all.

I used to think that the HD650 sounded great on my Darkvoice 3322, and it still does, but damn that Bottlehead just energizes the HD650...I've never really understood or put much stock into the whole "synergy" thing, but I suppose that's what the Crack and HDE650 have boatloads of....synergy. And VC's Bottlehead build didn't even have the Speedball upgrade!

I've talked my wife into letting me order the Bottlehead Crack for my birthday, (even she liked how it sounded) so I'll be starting my build around mid-March.
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #36 of 140
Quote:

Did you try the HE-500 on the La Figaro 339 or the V200/V800 pairing (or something else)?  If you tried them on the LF339 pairing, they're going to sound more laid back than you're used to... however, I found that the V200/V800 pairing connected via balanced cable in the back made the HE-500 sound like a 98-99% well driven HE-6.  If it is connected RCA with the exact same combo, then I think the LF339 and HE-500 pairing sounds better... weird how that works right?

Also, what did you pair the HD800 with at the meet?  Some pairings only allow the HD800 to sound exceptionally good for slower stuff and really good recordings, but other pairings allow it to actually be rather fast, while still retaining its vast soundstage and detail retrieval.

I would argue about that 
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #37 of 140
Quote:
Sadly, I didn't have a chance to try the HD650 on the LaFigaro (even though they were literally sitting right next to each other) but once I heard it on the Crack I was sold, and I seriously doubt the 339 would have changed anything at all.

I used to think that the HD650 sounded great on my Darkvoice 3322, and it still does, but damn that Bottlehead just energizes the HD650...I've never really understood or put much stock into the whole "synergy" thing, but I suppose that's what the Crack and HDE650 have boatloads of....synergy. And VC's Bottlehead build didn't even have the Speedball upgrade!

I've talked my wife into letting me order the Bottlehead Crack for my birthday, (even she liked how it sounded) so I'll be starting my build around mid-March.
biggrin.gif

The 339 and Crack are completely different with the HD650.  The 339 amplifies a more lush, romantic jazz-oriented sound signature that is innate in the HD650, while the Crack speeds up everything and makes the HD650 a better all-rounder type of headphone.  For dxanex's preference of music, the Crack pairing was perfect.  I'd still really like to know what it would've sounded like had I received and installed the speedball upgrade to the amplifier.

Congrats on brainwashing the wife :wink:.

Quote:
I would argue about that 
wink.gif

You're welcome to argue it, but I own all of the pieces of equipment I wrote about in the above post and have done extensive A/B tests on each setup.  I only write exactly what my ears hear, nothing more, nothing less.

Jan 24, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #40 of 140
Quote:
You're welcome to argue it, but I own all of the pieces of equipment I wrote about in the above post and have done extensive A/B tests on each setup.  I only write exactly what my ears hear, nothing more, nothing less.

I found the HE-6 to be quite a bit overhyped over here... I haven't heard them myself but statements like "HE-6 driven by a speak amps can almost rival SR009" sound pretty odd to me. Especially since all the websites like innerfidelity, headphonia etc. happen to prefer HE-500.

Jan 24, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #41 of 140
Quote:

I found the HE-6 to be quite a bit overhyped over here... I haven't heard them myself but statements like "HE-6 driven by a speak amps can almost rival SR009" sound pretty odd to me. Especially since all the websites like innerfidelity, headphonia etc. happen to prefer HE-500.

I never wrote a statement like that seeing as how I've never had an opportunity to hear the SR-009, but this is from David Mahler's own words: "you can purchase an HE-6/EF6 combo and get fairly close to the fidelity offered by a well-powered SR-009. On the other hand, if you are seeking technical-perfection at any cost, the SR-009 is going to be the one you want."  

However, I can attest to the fact that the HE-6 certainly sounds more neutral and natural compared to the HE-500, which is what most people consider 'better' these days.  While I enjoy both headphones a very large amount, the HE-500 seems to have a warm-silky bubble encompassing it, which gives it a bit of a muffled effect.  Don't believe me?  A/B a pair of with HE-500 with LCD-2, and you will see what I mean.  

Headphones will always be hyped up based on user bias.  That's why meets like this exist, where you can try different combinations and verify for yourself whether the hype is real, or just a load of nonsense.

Jan 24, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #42 of 140
I have the HE-6 and have heard the HE-500 (albeit not at this week's meet). I think they're quite similar, the differences being mostly in extent and degree: The HE-500 is revealing, the HE-6 slightly moreso; the HE-500 has detailed bass, the HE-6 slightly moreso...

The HE-500 is considerably less demanding of power, which makes it more versatile and compatible with most headphone-oriented listening systems. This, along with how much less it costs than the HE-6, makes it the better recommendation for anybody who isn't inclined to pay hundreds of dollars more for subtle improvements, and possibly set the stage for wanting a new headphone amplifier as well.

As for people who compare the HE-6 to the SR-009, I haven't heard them sound a lot alike; I couldn't tell you why other people do. In general it is difficult to directly compare electrostatic headphones to non-stats; different equipment is needed to drive them, so changes cannot be isolated to the headphones alone.

Jan 24, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #43 of 140
Just noticed we made the front page on Head-Fi. Someone's got some friends in high places...
tongue.gif

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #44 of 140
iv'e owned he 500s and thought they weren't revealing at all, actually they sounded muffled. compared to grado sr350s, they weren't even close. the 500s had a deeper smoother bass, but no detail in the mids, and highs

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #45 of 140
I own the HE-400 and i decided that in order to not have to sell a kidney someday, ill better stay away from meetings and shops where you can test monsters like those...
Well, maybe just once... :D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back