Denver 2013 Impression Thread
Jun 26, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #16 of 29
A lot of the setups sounded impressive, but I felt likoolaidman's Little Dot +1 with recabled Senn 580 was one of the setups that just sounded natural.  Voices sounded like voices. It didn't sound thin, or too rich - it just sounded right.  Musical.

Jun 27, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #17 of 29
Third & last set of pics.

Head-Fiers listening to other headphones at their respective tables....

(continued)

AudioCats' setup

AudioCats' HCC86 hybrid amp

AudioCats' uPA Micro Power

AudioCats' Fostex T20 V1

Quote:
[size=12.0pt]Short Impressions [/size]

[size=12.0pt]Audio Technica AD2000X [/size]
[size=12.0pt]I wish I had spent more time with these actually. The first thing I can say is that these are certainly a step-up from the AD1000 which I had for a while. The AD2000 is much more three dimensional and natural than the AD1000. Although the soundstage of the AD1000 is very wide it is also very forward and flat, which makes for a slightly unnatural presentation.  The 2000X seemed very balanced and capable [/size]

Hey if you want to listen to them again sometime just let me know, I'll have them for a while. Great job on the impressions btw, definitely enjoying reading them.

Jun 27, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #18 of 29
Looks like a KILLER time!

My best friend is a label manager at Beatport there in Denver.
I want to get them involved somehow (headphones + DJ culture).

Anybody who organizes this meet: PLS PM me when you get a chance

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #19 of 29
Another setup that sounded natural to me was arteom's Cavalli EHHA and Technics turntable.  The transparency of the Cavalli EHHA  coupled with the Technics analog source was very engaging.  Used my LCD3s.  This was the first time in more than 20 years that I have listened to analog and this system showed how engaging analog can be.  I still have my Sony PS-70 and MC cartridge - makes me tempted to find a way to borrow a phono preamp and revisit some of my old vinyl.

Also....  One of my goals was to get some time on a GS-X MK2 with my LCD3s.  

Spent some time with Asr's GS-X MK2 and Plinius CD-101 and could see why he didn't really care for the LCD3s - that combination didn't seem to work very well - the sound through the GS-X MK2 was very dynamic and transparent, but the pieces just were not synergistic to me.  I also used the LCD3s with Justin's (HeadAmp) OPPO and GS-X MK2, again the sound was transparent and quite nice, but here too the wow factor just wasn't there.

Late in the day I asked Justin if I could bring my QB-9 and cables over - and use them with his GS-X MK2.  Wow.  Transparency, dynamics, realism - not in my face but just there.  Details in the music I have never heard before.  Justin also spent time listening to the combination.  When Justin stopped listening his first words were: "I can not understand how people can believe the LCD3 isn't detailed enough."

[size=x-small]Asr - thank you very much for organizing this.  Thanks also to Justin (HeadAmp) and Rachelle (Westone) for joining us.[/size]

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #20 of 29
LCD-3 > Pico Power > QB-9

Following on from my previous post of the LCD-3, I also checked out the LCD-3 in Hi Rez's setup. For some reason I thought the LCD-3 sounded better in his setup! I wasn't really sure why, but something about it just seemed to be punchier & more dynamic. I thought it was weird that I thought the LCD-3 sounded better on the Pico Power than the GS-X MK2, when the AC-powered amp should theoretically sonically destroy the transportable one.

AD2000X vs AD900X > GS-X MK2 > CD-101

I was interested in comparing the latest Audio-Technica "X" headphones against each other, so I plugged them both into my setup for easy ABX'ing. I could see why BigCabDaddy preferred the AD900X vs the AD2KX, but I personally thought the AD2KX crushed the AD900X in nearly every way. I spun my usual set of electronica & metal music with both headphones and the AD2KX delivered everything that the AD900X didn't. The AD900X had really puny bass compared to the AD2KX, which is saying something because the AD2KX lacks general bass quantity to me as it is. The AD2KX also had way more clarity than the AD900X. There were so many sonic layers that were audible on the AD2KX that got lost on the AD900X. The AD2KX's treble was also substantially more refined than the AD900X's, which was just messy & splashy in comparison. And lastly, the AD2KX had way more of a forward/aggressive-type sound that IMO goes really well with any kind of in-your-face, fast-paced music (i.e., electronica, rock, metal, etc). The AD900X was more of a non-participatory, passive-sounding headphone. Not that the AD900X was bad, but I ended up thinking that the AD2KX was simply sonically superior in nearly every way.

MS Pro > EHHA > Technics turntable

Until this meet, I'd never heard the Alessandro MS Pro before. For some reason I just never got around to buying one (or seeing one at a meet either, for that matter). I can now say that the MS Pro is probably one of the most neutral-sounding John Grado-era headphones that I've heard. It actually sounded really good - and totally unlike most of the plastic or wood Grado models which have overt V-shape sonic signatures. The MS Pro really balanced out the mid-range, reducing that V-shape effect. And it played electronica really well too, which is weird, because that's something I thought I'd never say about any headphones made by Grado.

I spent some time at arteom's table listening to his vinyl, since it's a format that I've never really listened to before. The pops & crackles were distracting but it did sound really good. I found out about some new artists too, like Telefon Tel Aviv, which I have to check out on CD now!

I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting some other gear, so more to come later....

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #22 of 29
.AD2000X vs AD900X > GS-X MK2 > CD-101

I was interested in comparing the latest Audio-Technica "X" headphones against each other, so I plugged them both into my setup for easy ABX'ing. I could see why BigCabDaddy preferred the AD900X vs the AD2KX, but I personally thought the AD2KX crushed the AD900X in nearly every way. I spun my usual set of electronica & metal music with both headphones and the AD2KX delivered everything that the AD900X didn't. The AD900X had really puny bass compared to the AD2KX, which is saying something because the AD2KX lacks general bass quantity to me as it is. The AD2KX also had way more clarity than the AD900X. There were so many sonic layers that were audible on the AD2KX that got lost on the AD900X. The AD2KX's treble was also substantially more refined than the AD900X's, which was just messy & splashy in comparison. And lastly, the AD2KX had way more of a forward/aggressive-type sound that IMO goes really well with any kind of in-your-face, fast-paced music (i.e., electronica, rock, metal, etc). The AD900X was more of a non-participatory, passive-sounding headphone. Not that the AD900X was bad, but I ended up thinking that the AD2KX was simply sonically superior in nearly every way.

Can't say I disagree with you. I suspect what we see here is about musical choices as much as anything as I favor acoustically based music and you evidently, electronic. I wish I'd listened to your styles of music more to reference what you're saying. For my music and ear, the 1840 and the T1 are the upgrade path I'd hoped the AD2000X would be. Wish I'd tried the HE6 too from what's being said here but I'm still feeling burned enough by the HE400 hype that I shied away from them.

Jun 29, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #23 of 29
Last quick impressions:

Effusion's Headphile-modded HD650 > DarkVoice 336 > (unknown DAC)

These sounded pretty good! Definitely unlike the stock HD650 - clearer, more open-sounding, etc. The Headphile mod seemed to take away the classic Senn veil, but without taking away the laid-back Senn HD6xx signature.

Fostex T20 V1 > HCC86 hybrid > Sony C601ES

These were probably the biggest surprise that I've heard in a long time. The T20 V1 kicked serious ass! They were clear-sounding but the thing that hit me most was the serious accelerated-sounding drive without it sounding aggressive. It was sort of like a Stax on steroids to me, maybe something like a cross between a Stax (because of its form factor it reminded me of the SR-X MKIII) and Audio-Technica AD2K - incredibly fast, ultra-tight, & clear. The bass hit (and decayed) so fast it was practically like lightning. Next to the AKG K340 on the GS-X MK2, these probably ended up being my 2nd favorite headphones that I heard at the meet.

Quote:
Looks like a KILLER time!

My best friend is a label manager at Beatport there in Denver.
I want to get them involved somehow (headphones + DJ culture).

Anybody who organizes this meet: PLS PM me when you get a chance

Thanks for the offer but I'd rather not involve any DJs at a meet that I'm organizing. I prefer the laid-back, quiet atmosphere that this meet had, as a contrast against the other, bigger, and much louder local event known as CanJam@RMAF that's coming up in October. Why not have them at CJ@RMAF?
tongue.gif

Quote:
Can't say I disagree with you. I suspect what we see here is about musical choices as much as anything as I favor acoustically based music and you evidently, electronic. I wish I'd listened to your styles of music more to reference what you're saying. For my music and ear, the 1840 and the T1 are the upgrade path I'd hoped the AD2000X would be. Wish I'd tried the HE6 too from what's being said here but I'm still feeling burned enough by the HE400 hype that I shied away from them.

Indeed, as I mentioned at the meet I think music preferences play into headphone preferences a lot. Glad that you found an alternate headphone upgrade plan though to the SRH1840 or T1. Those are both very good-sounding headphones.

Jun 29, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #24 of 29
A week later and I'm just now posting in this thread.
rolleyes.gif

Lots of great stuff and a good variety at that. I found a new appreciation for the Koss ESP-950, this is my third time hearing these and despite the complaints about bright treble they tend to get, I just don't hear it. I think they're a great electrostat for what they are and they're great with female vocals. Speaking of electrostats, glad Headamp and the Blue Hawaii + SR-009 was there. There's nothing the Blue Hawaii does wrong. I must be the only person who prefers the SR-007s though, they seem more full-bodied to me - put simply. Also really liked the D7000s with the Soloist, sad Denon discontinued these I may even like them better than the LCD-2s within the same price range. A big thanks to Westone for being there, I think the new Active Series is a great option for those looking for a mid-range dynamic IEM and their customs are always amazing.

Quote:
A lot of the setups sounded impressive, but I felt likoolaidman's Little Dot +1 with recabled Senn 580 was one of the setups that just sounded natural.  Voices sounded like voices. It didn't sound thin, or too rich - it just sounded right.  Musical.

Well, I certainly feel like it's sufficient. If I had the extra cash I would probably get a few upgrades, but for what it is, it makes me happy
dt880smile.png

And thanks to Asr for another great meet and all those who showed to make it happen.

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #25 of 29
I just made a donation to Head-Fi in the amount of $70 as the surplus left over from the meet. (There was a post-meet cost of ~$5 and a donation of $20 received, which adds $15 to the previously posted amount.)

Thanks again to all who attended and contributed to the success of the meet!

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:
 The T20 V1 kicked serious ass! They were clear-sounding but the thing that hit me most was the serious accelerated-sounding drive without it sounding aggressive. It was sort of like a Stax on steroids to me

there is a reason they remained industry standard for many years and why they have such a following amongst the vintage orthocrowd. Not sure if they had been modded , the O2 pads on these appropriately damped are astonishingly good. 

Looks like some interesting gear you all had to share. 

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #27 of 29

Quote:
LCD-3 > Pico Power > QB-9

Following on from my previous post of the LCD-3, I also checked out the LCD-3 in Hi Rez's setup. For some reason I thought the LCD-3 sounded better in his setup! I wasn't really sure why, but something about it just seemed to be punchier & more dynamic. I thought it was weird that I thought the LCD-3 sounded better on the Pico Power than the GS-X MK2, when the AC-powered amp should theoretically sonically destroy the transportable one.

The GS-X MK2 did sonically destroy the Pico Power when Justin let me swap his GS-X MK2  with the Pico Power in my setup.  Just goes to confirm that it is the overall system synergy that matters.  A great component like the GS-X MK2 can't make a headphone sing unless the source is also a good match with the overall whole.

Jul 7, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:
I just made a donation to Head-Fi in the amount of $70 as the surplus left over from the meet. (There was a post-meet cost of ~$5 and a donation of $20 received, which adds $15 to the previously posted amount.)

Thanks again to all who attended and contributed to the success of the meet!

How does one go about making a donation to Head-fi
confused.gif

Jul 7, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:
How does one go about making a donation to Head-fi
confused.gif

I had Head-Fi's PayPal e-mail which I sent the donation to.

However, as an FYI to everyone, my donation was just refunded yesterday by Jude, with the explanation that Head-Fi no longer takes donations from members. So with Jude's consent, I just donated the $70 to the American Red Cross instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back