Dented my gado driver AND what does it matter?
Mar 14, 2006 at 9:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

hugz

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey all

Today i accidentally (duh) dented one of the drivers of my alessandro MS-2 nudie modding them (see doobooloo's thread. One of the drivers now has 2 small visible dents in it.

Right off the bat i was sure that they were done for, but i've just plugged them in and they sound fine? Everyone always seems to be so cautious about denting their drivers, so what is the supposed side effect? Have I damaged them in a way that i've not yet realised? They certainly aren't sending out any obvious sign that they've been damaged.

Also, should i try fix them (with bluetac?) or is that likely to damage them further?

Cheers!

Hugz

resale value of my ms-2: $0. Ghetto nudie mod + dented driver + detachable cable mod which involved dremelling the enclosure

Mar 14, 2006 at 9:13 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz
resale value of my ms-2: $0. Ghetto nudie mod + dented driver + detachable cable mod which involved dremelling the enclosure

This is Head-Fi. It's a modded, one of a kind headphone. Those go for big bucks around here...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 14, 2006 at 9:31 AM Post #4 of 8
It's not crackling or anything but is there a chance that i hurt the detail or something? It seems pretty unlikely but i'm curious to know. you had better beleive that i'm quite happy that it sounds fine!

Mar 14, 2006 at 9:32 AM Post #5 of 8
I don't know anything about the robustness of the Grados/Alessandros compared to Senns, but i dented one of the drivers of my HD595 just recently when trying to clean the whole can. To "undent" it i simply put my mouth over the hole where the driver is and just shortly sucked (without coming anywhere near the driver itself of course). and what can i say: it looks like anything happened at all!
Try at your own risk.........or just leave it.

Mar 15, 2006 at 2:21 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore
I don't know anything about the robustness of the Grados/Alessandros compared to Senns, but i dented one of the drivers of my HD595 just recently when trying to clean the whole can. To "undent" it i simply put my mouth over the hole where the driver is and just shortly sucked (without coming anywhere near the driver itself of course). and what can i say: it looks like anything happened at all!
Try at your own risk.........or just leave it.

c'mon, rhymesgalore, that's your solution for everything
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 3:55 PM Post #8 of 8
Sorry to break the news, but yes, its not good for sound quality. The dent causes un-calculated stresses in the plastic driver, which can result in it not laying flat, not moving smoothly and in a linear fashion as well as causing extra friction and other oddities. Remember, in this hobby drilling a few extra holes in a pair of $15 Koss makes a difference to sound, as you can imagine a dented driver will show its ugly head in terms of audio.

I actually recommend the low-pressure method mentioned by rhymesgalore. Just don't go to crazy, you do not want to extend the driver outwards too far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back