Denons but not Denons
Jun 3, 2014 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Shimunogora

New Head-Fier
I used to have the AH-D200s and they were fantastic. Sadly, the left driver went out after about 1.5 years. Afterwards, I purchased the AH-D600s and one of the drivers went out in those as well.

I would purchase another pair of AH-D600s but it's tough to justify the $350 price point with how often my Denon headphones seem to break. None of my other pairs have ever gone out that fast, even with prolonged use. Right now I'm using my spare DT 880s, which are great but not nearly as colorful & bassy as I like for much of my music library. Right now I'm looking for very colorful & thumpy headphones with a budget of $400.

I've heard good things about the Sennheiser Momentums, has anyone tried those and the AHD2000/600s? How do they compare?

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 14
Driver blowing out on Denons?
Are you sure it wasn't just the cable breaking? Because that's almost always an easy and cheap fix. 
But if you're not bothered I'll gladly take them off your hands. 
biggrin.gif

The Momentums are not the cans you are looking for. 
They simply aren't coloured enough in the bass or treble for your taste.
In fact from 2KHz down, they're almost neutral. Some people think the treble rolls off massively too, and the FR graphs agree with them - I disagree, to my ears, the treble is just slightly on the dark side of neutral. 

Not really sure what your ideal cans are. Maybe look into Focal - they've got quite a bit of yummy bass going on. 

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #3 of 14
  I used to have the AH-D200s and they were fantastic. Sadly, the left driver went out after about 1.5 years. Afterwards, I purchased the AH-D600s and one of the drivers went out in those as well.

I would purchase another pair of AH-D600s but it's tough to justify the $350 price point with how often my Denon headphones seem to break. None of my other pairs have ever gone out that fast, even with prolonged use. Right now I'm using my spare DT 880s, which are great but not nearly as colorful & bassy as I like for much of my music library. Right now I'm looking for very colorful & thumpy headphones with a budget of $400.

I've heard good things about the Sennheiser Momentums, has anyone tried those and the AHD2000/600s? How do they compare?

I've tried the Sennheiser Momentums, they are quite good. I'd put them in the range of other cans like the Sony MDR-1r. Neither Momentum or MDR-1r are as bassy as the AH-D600. I'm quite enjoying the D600 and I'd recommend picking up another if you can score a good price. Haven't ever heard of the driver going on these. They are actually quite well built, and I've even used mine DJing for a bit until I got my Amperiors. 

I'm also interested in the Focal Spirit Pro as well as the Sony MDR-7520. Both look like they can produce really tight and accurate bass. But they are different cans than the D600. They are not going to be as colored, and will be far more analytic and possibly fatiguing. So you may lose that 'happy' signature you have with the Denons. I'm interested in these cans for professional applications for monitoring and mixing. The D600 I can wear endlessly and its signature is pleasant, there is sufficient detail, nice low-end rumble, and are incredibly efficient. Not sure what I'd replace them with. 

I'd also be interested in these: http://www.head-fi.org/products/v-moda-xs or v-moda m100

but then there are some comparisons: http://www.head-fi.org/t/702123/v-moda-m100-vs-denon-ahd600-which-one-is-better

Shure SRH-1540 may be a consideration.

So I just got my 1540 (yay FedEx...) and after listening to these for about a half hour, the best way I can describe them is if the HD650s and D600s had a baby and that's the 1540s :D.  A better more proper description would be they sound like a closed version of the HD-650s (I haven't done any A/B'ing between the two to verify this nor do I care to at the moment so I'm just going just going from memory), what I mean is these are like a pair of HD-650s with more low end emphasis (I do not have "Golden Ears").  ...

...The bass doesn't hit as hard as my Denon D600 but the D600's really punch hard, in fact they rock your skull.  The 1540's don't hit too hard to me, in fact they hit hard enough.

TLDR: I'm really enjoying these for all music genres.  It's like the baby of the D600's and HD650's :D

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #4 of 14
Hey Fellas,

I saw that I got quoted (via notification), I subscribed to this thread in case you have any questions for me so feel free to ask.  The D600 is a very fun headphone IMO but the 1540 was much more neutral but it still retained the fun factor of the D600s but with more bass detail.  Also you can find the D600s for much lower $350, I've seen them as low as $240 (US dollars) on amazon brand-new.

Jun 4, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 14
Hey Fellas,

I saw that I got quoted (via notification), I subscribed to this thread in case you have any questions for me so feel free to ask.  The D600 is a very fun headphone IMO but the 1540 was much more neutral but it still retained the fun factor of the D600s but with more bass detail.  Also you can find the D600s for much lower $350, I've seen them as low as $240 (US dollars) on amazon brand-new.

Thanks, Byrnie, your insight is valuable. I guess that you've kept the D600s even though you have higher end cans says something.

You really have my interest in the SRH-1540. I had a SRH-840 for about five years and it was a good headphone.

Have you listened to the MDR-7520 (sounds like a neutral can with bass quality and depth)? On the fun side, how does the D600 stack up against the Fidelio X1 (if you've heard it)?

Thinking one of these may help replace Shimonogora's D600

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #6 of 14
Thanks, Byrnie, your insight is valuable. I guess that you've kept the D600s even though you have higher end cans says something.

You really have my interest in the SRH-1540. I had a SRH-840 for about five years and it was a good headphone.

Have you listened to the MDR-7520 (sounds like a neutral can with bass quality and depth)? On the fun side, how does the D600 stack up against the Fidelio X1 (if you've heard it)?

Thinking one of these may help replace Shimonogora's D600

Comfort-wise the D600s hold their own against the 1540s and the TH900. Ever since I got my TH900, I use my 1540s as my bedside/mobile pair of headphones. I am actually considering selling my D600s. I haven't heard the X1s but I plan to as two of my friends bought them (one of them did so based on my suggestion). I haven't heard those Sonys either.

*Fixed a couple of typos*

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #7 of 14
Thanks for all of the replies, everyone. I am legitimately considering the 1540s, but exactly how colorful are they compared to the AH-D600s? I'd like something with decent accuracy but a LOT of color.

Compared to my SRH-940s the DT 880s seem really colored. Did Shure have a huge direction change with the 1540s? The 940s are very, very neutral (if not a little bass shy). $500 is a lot to spend on a "fun" headphone, but if they're nice and colorful I'll definitely check into them. I wish I had somewhere nearby to demo them, but I live in a relatively small town.

Jun 5, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #8 of 14
Thanks for all of the replies, everyone. I am legitimately considering the 1540s, but exactly how colorful are they compared to the AH-D600s? I'd like something with decent accuracy but a LOT of color.

Compared to my SRH-940s the DT 880s seem really colored. Did Shure have a huge direction change with the 1540s? The 940s are very, very neutral (if not a little bass shy). $500 is a lot to spend on a "fun" headphone, but if they're nice and colorful I'll definitely check into them. I wish I had somewhere nearby to demo them, but I live in a relatively small town.

Essentially the 940 is tuned for a neutral sound signature for professional purposes. The 1540 is tuned for listening/pure enjoyment.
from Shure themselves http://www.shureblog.co.uk/srh940-vs-srh1540-which-is-best/

That said, I've read in their description of the 1540 that it would be great for mastering purposes (which is different than mixing, and is the final stage for equalization, limiting, compression, http://www.shure.com/americas/news-events/press-releases/shure-launches-srh1540-premium-closed-back-headphones

If I can make a comparison using speakers:
In the speaker world, an musician might do their monitoring, mixing and production on some Dynaudio monitors http://dynaudioprofessional.com and send their mixdown or stems to a mastering house who might do their work using a pair of Bower & Wilkins http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Discover/Discover/About_Bowers_&_Wilkins/Abbey-Road.html

Jun 5, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 14
You can have high-quality and fun at the same time. Arguably, you can still have audiophile and 'fun' as well.

Lucked out today and got my hands on a set of HD-650. Easily the most balanced of any headphone I've owned.

It sorta blows away the Denon AH-D600 in presentation. I can't do a full comparison just as yet, and my headphone amp may not be up to snuff, but I can say the D600 has a sub bass and bass impact that the Hd650 does not. The D600 has quite soundstage too for a closed can and is still very enjoyable to listen to. It's quality fun. Whereas the hd650 is classy. I know already the 650 is the superior phone for my purposes in creating music, but I'm already thinking "hmm better hold onto the D600 for its comfort and bass".

So maybe the 1540 rolls all these into one, and if I hear one and it does maybe I'll make the jump (the price I paid for both hd650 and d600 equals the price of a new 1540).

Even though brand new, I had no problem leaving the Senns at work and taking the D600 home to relax with.

Jun 8, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #11 of 14
Thanks for all of the replies, everyone! I decided to grab another pair of AH-D600s. I wanted something super colorful and the 1540's are a tad bit expensive since I didn't see them anywhere for less than $500. Once this pair goes goes out I think the 1540s will be their replacement.

Jun 9, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #12 of 14
  Thanks for all of the replies, everyone! I decided to grab another pair of AH-D600s. I wanted something super colorful and the 1540's are a tad bit expensive since I didn't see them anywhere for less than $500. Once this pair goes goes out I think the 1540s will be their replacement.

Cool man!  Congrats!

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #13 of 14
You can have high-quality and fun at the same time. Arguably, you can still have audiophile and 'fun' as well.

Lucked out today and got my hands on a set of HD-650. Easily the most balanced of any headphone I've owned.

It sorta blows away the Denon AH-D600 in presentation. I can't do a full comparison just as yet, and my headphone amp may not be up to snuff, but I can say the D600 has a sub bass and bass impact that the Hd650 does not. The D600 has quite soundstage too for a closed can and is still very enjoyable to listen to. It's quality fun. Whereas the hd650 is classy. I know already the 650 is the superior phone for my purposes in creating music, but I'm already thinking "hmm better hold onto the D600 for its comfort and bass".

So maybe the 1540 rolls all these into one, and if I hear one and it does maybe I'll make the jump (the price I paid for both hd650 and d600 equals the price of a new 1540).

Even though brand new, I had no problem leaving the Senns at work and taking the D600 home to relax with.

Totally agree.  I would say that you first comment definitely applies to the 1540s and definitely the TH900s (which I'm listening to now).  I have the HD650s also and love them especially for acoustic tracks.  It's funny though as I was listening to my D600s at work today that I felt the D600s were a little more bass heavy than the 1540s

I used to own the DT880s for a long time.  They are super comfortable, super durable, very neutral, and also one of the more analytical headphones that I've owned.  I did however find them a little boring IMO (Keep in mind that I'm most likely in the minority on this and it wasn't due to the quantity of bass given my more recent headphone purchases) but nonetheless they were great headphones just not my taste.

Jun 12, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #14 of 14
Sounds like you settled already but here's my 2 cents. I own the D2000s and love them. I got the Fidelio X1s and consider them to be in the same ballpark tonally. Both very fun sounding with great impact. The X1 is a bit more rolled off up top but still gives a good amount of detail with a more spacious sound than the D2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back