Denon Recable Guide (56K friendly thumbnails, but large photos)
Jan 2, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #16 of 33
I can't thank you enough for this thread, FallenAngel.

I have not touched a soldering iron since HS Electonics workshop 30 years ago, when I did build a transistor radio, and amp and a linear regulated PSU.

I was off this past week, and got my feet wet making some interconnects with mogami 2549. Luckily, I have easy access to Redco locally and can pick up materials as needed.

I've never recabled headphones, so the next day, I did a trial recable with an inexpensive pair of Superlux HD 681's with mogami 2534, converting it to dual entry. Amazing cans for the price, BTW.

Yesterday, I tackled the main project that all the practice was for: recabling my D2000's. I really hate the stock cable on these. I just used mogami 2534, and it was a breeze, thanks to your instructional. The hardest part was getting the earpads on and off! Thanks, man.

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #18 of 33
what type of wood was used for the cups. Thanks for posting this guide !
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #19 of 33
I plan to recable my D2000's with mogami 2534 soon, any impressions on how the sound changed with the upgraded cable?

Oct 13, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #20 of 33
You mentioned using a DMM to test the polarity- can someone explain how to do this (I've been searching for a while and can't seem to find an answer, just get more confused)

Great thread, can't believe it didn't get more attention.

Jan 13, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #21 of 33
OK, dumb question: after doing the above, are the headphones balanced? I assume the answer is yes. I'm just wondering: you're only using two of the three pins in the XLR, right? What is the third pin for if it isn't being used?

I also have a related question. On this page from the Audio Gd website, they show a pair of Denon headphones being reterminated so that they can be used with the 4-pin jack on the front of their balanced amps, such as this one. Is there any reason why FallenAngel's modified cans terminate in two separate 3-pin XLR connectors, whereas the Audio Gd website shows the Denons terminating in a single 4-pin connector? Will the Denons be fully balanced after the Audio Gd modification (when not used with the 1/4" adapter)?

Am I missing something or does this mean that converting Denon's to balanced headphones is a piece of cake?

Thanks for your advice.
Adam

Jan 13, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #22 of 33
Yes, those are balanced.  The shield is not used (pin 1) for headphone cables.

Most gear uses dual 3-pin XLRs, some gear uses a single 4-pin XLR, both are balanced.  Personally, I prefer 4-pin - it's smaller, lighter and takes less space on the amp.

You aren't missing anything, converting ALMOST ALL headphones to balanced is a piece of cake. :wink:

Jan 13, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #23 of 33
Sweet! I am positively astounded. I thought there was lots of voodoo involved!

Out of curiosity, do you happen to know whether Ultrasone PRO 900s also have two wires running to each cup? I know they are single-entry, but after entry do 2 wires go to one ear and two wires go through the headband to the second cup? I assume yes.

Also, any ideas on where to get those 4-PIN XLRs that are shown on the Audio Gd website I linked to (other than from Audio Gd themselves)?

Regards,
Adam

Jan 18, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #25 of 33
FallenAngel,

I've now got the 4-pin XLR connectors and I'm going to have a go at this tonight. I plan on recabling my Denon AH-D2000 as described on this Audio Gd website. My only question is: [size=11pt]how do you tell which black wire is "L-" and which wire is "R-"? Does it matter?[/size]

[size=11pt]Also, any experience recabling Shure SRH840s? These are also single-entry. I assume they are like the Ultrasones, better left alone?[/size]

Best regards,
Adam

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #26 of 33
Yes, it matters - easy way to tell is to measure resistance from L+ / R+ to determine which wires are which.
No experience with SRH840 aside from listening.  All headphones that have detachable cables with TRS connectors are a little harder to work with - you need to remove that connector and run the wires directly (or replace with a small 4-pin XLR jack).

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #27 of 33
Errrr....sorry for being a dunce, but how do I measure resistance from L+ / R+? I assume I need a multimeter? But what do I do and what should the dial in the center of the multimeter be set to?

Thanks!
Adam

Apr 17, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #30 of 33
I know this is an old thread - But I'll bump it + save it in my list of threads.
Excellent guide - still not quite sure fi i should mod mine or not.

Out of interest is it reversible, ie. re-soldering the stock cable? For warranty purposes for example?

I want to put a shorted D7K cable, which in it self will also be terminated differently.
So:
D7k cable, shortened to around 1.5m & a 3.5mm jack termination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back