Denon PMA 255UK with speaker choice
Jan 15, 2018 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

musical-kage

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone.

I think I posted in the wrong thread before, but I've been doing my own research anyway, and I've come across a Denon PMA-255 UK for £45 quite close to me.
I plan on using it to power my Tannoy Mercury M1s I have recently acquired for cheap.

Recommended Power - 10-70 Wpc
Peak Power handling - 100W
Sensitivity (2.8v at 1M away) - 87 dB
Nominal Iimpendence - 8 ohms
Freq Response +/- 3dB - 55hz-20khz

Would the Denon be a good match? Only need an AUX in.
If not, what would you suggest?

If I was to want to power 2 passive subs though (same connections as speakers with +/-), can I wire them up with the same +/- as speakers and add a high pass filter?
Or am I best off buying a cheap desktop amp too and have the subs wired through that?
Its for an arcade cabinet but going to be using it for a high quality jukebox I'll be able to remove the speakers from for setup in my living room at times

Thanks everyone

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #2 of 2
From things I have read, the Denons apparently might be too warm for my speakers. Or isn't this the case with older Denons? As I can get the amp for £45.
The speakers cost me £25.

So a kit for £80 in total.

On another note, my dad has some Kef Celeste iis. Big buggers they are.
They are plugged in to his Kenwood amp and I listened specifically to Dead In The Water - Ellie Goulding and listened to the middle where the bass and strings come in and then high strings. I find it a great tester for headphones too.
It sounded so full and the detail was rich. So I thought, right, I'll connect mine up now.

I wish I didn't...
Mine lack the body. Albeit, mine are 3-4x less the size.
The detail/substance in the strings just wasn't there and it didn't sound as airy.
Only way I can explain it.

Haha... but should I try the Denon?
Really not sure what to do though because I was left feeling a bit '... oh' about the speakers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back