Denon DVD 5900 coming soon
Sep 11, 2003 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JaZZ

Headphoneus Supremus
Product presentation at Audioworld.

denon.dvd-5900.dvd-audio.universal.player.gif

Specs (PDF)

Is this the reason for Tuberoller's delay with the high-rez player shootout?
eek.gif

peacesign.gif

Sep 12, 2003 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by JaZZ
Product presentation at Audioworld.

denon.dvd-5900.dvd-audio.universal.player.gif

Specs (PDF)

Is this the reason for Tuberoller's delay with the high-rez player shootout?
eek.gif

peacesign.gif

Fact is..... three of the five players I used for the shootout will be replaced within the next month or so. This is why I constantly advise people against spending big bucks on any digital. I'll offer an update but I'll post the shootout as soon as I finish with the last player which arrived very late.

Sep 13, 2003 at 4:21 PM Post #6 of 7
I was looking at the specs for both the Denon 2900 and 5900 and the audio side specs look the same to me.

The difference I noted was more on the video side and none on the audio side. Am I seeing wrong?

If they are indeed the same, is there any audio improvement to be heard on the 5900 with the same parts from the 2900? I would like to know your opinions since I like denon's and would like to get an universal player in the next 6 months or so.

Has anyone compared the 2900 to the philips SACD 1000?

Sep 14, 2003 at 2:18 AM Post #7 of 7
Hold on. I thought that the Denon DVD 5900 can play HDCD discs wheras my Denon DVD 2900 can not play HDCD. So, there is a difference between the 5900 and the 2900 on the audio capabilities. Furthermore, the 5900 can playback DVD - / + R/RW discs wheras the the 2900 can only play - R/RW discs. It should be noted that + R/RW discs can be burned faster using the newest generation of DVD dual format burners such as the Plextor 708UF (and its internal version which is on the street as I write now). I only speed-read through the 5900 .PDF file and I noted these differences. Remember, if SONY & Philips are serious about foisting SACD II upon us all, then that will change the dynamics of the high resolution marketplace just a bit, no? Hopefully for both you and me, there will be a newer generation of universal DVD players that support SACD II discs within the next six to nine months (about when I graduate from MSU and dump my 2900 for a $2000 USD universal source with SACD II playback). Please download the .PDF files for the 2900 and 5900 and compare them carefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back