Denon DN-HP1000
Aug 18, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 7
How about they just look like Dj headphones.

Too bad real DJ's don't use DJ headphones.
tongue.gif

Aug 19, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #3 of 7
Tom Anderson:  Hey, wait a minute.  These golf balls look familiar.
Butt-head:  Many balls look alike, sir.
Beavis:  Yeah.  M heh heh.  I got 2 that are identical.

djviciouscycle:  Hey, wait a minute.  These headphones look familiar.
BotByte:  Many headphones look alike, sir.
Audio-Technica:  Yeah.  M heh heh.  I got 2 that are identical.

I just don't understand the "real DJs don't use DJ headphones" part.

Aug 19, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:

I just don't understand the "real DJs don't use DJ headphones" part.

Most DJ advertised headphones are not good for DJ's.

My cousin's father owns the largest club in my city and acts as the DJ on the weekends. He uses HD25-1 ii's all the time and sometimes switches over to HD600 and AKG K701.

I know a good handful of DJs that use the correct cans for the job and I've met a truck load of "DJs" using "DJ" headphones.

Aug 19, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #5 of 7
Most DJ-advertised headphones are great for DJing - even the cheap ones.  The things I look for are massive volume, reasonable clarity, and isolation.  Even the cheap Numark, Stanton, and Behringer DJ-style headphones suffice, but I would rather go for some sound quality.  High fidelity is not a requirement, but twisty joints are popular (my style of DJing does not depend on contorting or swiveling), and they help with isolation on a variety of head shapes and sizes.  The HD-25-II is popular with DJs in Europe, but in my 'hood, the HD-280 is one of the big industry standards.  I have heard that the prices of these 2 headphones are switched around in England, but I'm not sure.

I couldn't imagine using open headphone while spinning.  I have some ported headphones, and sound leakage interferes with my ability to EQ properly.  Which club/city are you in?

Anyways, I think the DN-HP1000 is a possible rebadging of the ATH-M50 or Pro700SV.  My real question is if the drivers have been changed, upgraded, or downgraded, and if there is any other small design change.  They all cost the same, and I'm curious which one has the best sound quality and which one is best for beatmixing, if there is any difference.

Aug 19, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
Most DJ-advertised headphones are great for DJing - even the cheap ones.  The things I look for are massive volume, reasonable clarity, and isolation.  Even the cheap Numark, Stanton, and Behringer DJ-style headphones suffice, but I would rather go for some sound quality.  High fidelity is not a requirement, but twisty joints are popular (my style of DJing does not depend on contorting or swiveling), and they help with isolation on a variety of head shapes and sizes.  The HD-25-II is popular with DJs in Europe, but in my 'hood, the HD-280 is one of the big industry standards.  I have heard that the prices of these 2 headphones are switched around in England, but I'm not sure.

I couldn't imagine using open headphone while spinning.  I have some ported headphones, and sound leakage interferes with my ability to EQ properly.  Which club/city are you in?

Anyways, I think the DN-HP1000 is a possible rebadging of the ATH-M50 or Pro700SV.  My real question is if the drivers have been changed, upgraded, or downgraded, and if there is any other small design change.  They all cost the same, and I'm curious which one has the best sound quality and which one is best for beatmixing, if there is any difference.

Actually, the DN-HP1000 are both rebadged and officially modded ATH-PRO700, and despite the fact that they are DJ headphones, they don't have a very strong bass presence one would expect, and they do have a rather balanced sound. Still, for DJing, I'd advise on doing pad modding, as the pads are far too shallow to do adequate isolation.

Aug 20, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 7
Balanced sound is good. For the past 7 years, I've been using the Pioneer HDJ-1000, and I was using some cheap no-name stuff for 3 years before that. The Pioneers have the low midrange scooped out a little with good extension at the extremes. The pronounced upper midrange mixed with the crazy output power makes them great for keeping up in noisy places, and, at the same time, they sound great with an iPod. After getting into this headphones kick recently, I'm thinking of keeping my focus on DJ-style headphones, since they serve both fun and function. Unfortunately, DJ, pro-audio, and hi-fi shops don't seem to last long in this city, and the mainstream electronics stores don't have great selections to audition.

Thanks for the input, dudes. If anyone else has some comparisons to share, I'd be glad to hear.

I recently ordered a pair of Pro700mk2, but they are on backorder at J&R, so it may be a while before I get those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back