Denon DCP-150 going once, going overpriced?
Jul 15, 2005 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Organizer for Can Jam '09
I've been looking around and found one of those legendary Denon DCP-150 on the Deutschland eBay site. But the current high bidder is willing to pay EUR 16,01. I converted it to US currency, which is $1,936.56; also converted it to UK pounds, which is $1,102.46.

I guess whatever the market will bear, but it seems awfully overpriced to me.

Does this seem right or is the conversion wrong... What gives?

Here is the link--
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...sPageName=WDVW

Jul 15, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #2 of 13
Unless it was signed by John Lennon and Princess Diana, I'd stay away from it.

Jul 15, 2005 at 12:33 AM Post #3 of 13
16,01 is roughly $20,00 USD or so (or "20.00"). The "," is a decimal point. Considering the hype surrounding it, though, it may eventually hit 1.600 euro
tongue.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt
16,01 is roughly $20,00 USD or so (or "20.00"). The "," is a decimal point.

Oh right, I wasn't paying close enough attention.

Jul 15, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Oh right, I wasn't paying close enough attention.

biggrin.gif

Oh well. I'd like to get one of those, but, I imagine it will be well beyond my threshold by the time it gets near termination.

Jul 15, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #6 of 13
Current high bid of roughly $20 USD, we'll see how long that last for the next 48 hrs. So far 99 people stumble across this auction, count on it that quite a few are currently watching this item.

Jul 15, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #7 of 13
When converting currency from the EUR to the US dollar or the UK pound instead of using a comma (as was used on the Deutschland eBay site) you should replace the comma with a decimal point.

But why don't they just use a decimal point--why use a comma?

Though, it does make a lot more sense using the decimal point when figuring the exchange rate with respect to the price of the unit.

Jul 15, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
When converting currency from the EUR to the US dollar or the UK pound instead of using a comma (as was used on the Deutschland eBay site) you should replace the comma with a decimal point.

But why don't they just use a decimal point--why use a comma?

Though, it does make a lot more sense using the decimal point, instead.

Both are "decimal points"; it is simply a difference in convention. One could just as easily ask why you choose to use a period instead of a comma. Several countries use a comma to mark decimal point, rather than a period. A period is used to mark each third power of ten (e.g., 1.000, 1.000.000, 1.000.000.000).

Jul 15, 2005 at 12:25 PM Post #10 of 13
Buying a vintage PCDP is a lottery - you end up paying big bucks(>$200) and then find out that it skips, shorts out, doesn't read some CDs, doesn't read CDRs, jumps on even ever so slightly scratched CD... etc, etc...
To make it even more silly, many people buy expensive vintages DCP150, D555 etc ($400, $500...
rolleyes.gif
)to use as a "desctop/bedside unit", when for not much more one could (and should!) get a Cyrius CDP thats not big neither and sounds better then any PCDP
eggosmile.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 1:03 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubijza
Buying a vintage PCDP is a lottery - you end up paying big bucks(>$200) and then find out that it skips, shorts out, doesn't read some CDs, doesn't read CDRs, jumps on even ever so slightly scratched CD... etc, etc...
To make it even more silly, many people buy expensive vintages DCP150, D555 etc ($400, $500...
rolleyes.gif
)to use as a "desctop/bedside unit", when for not much more one could (and should!) get a Cyrius CDP thats not big neither and sounds better then any PCDP
eggosmile.gif

Couldn't agree more. But then it'd be less unique. I think that probably counts for more among collectors, not the sound quality which I think is inferior to the latest PCDP's. The Cyrus specifically is nearly as transportable as some of these PCDP's, especially if you don't have working batteries for it.

Jul 15, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
what can i say..
I can reccomand the dcp-150 without reserves if you want transportability + soundquality .

I agree, I have no problems what so ever with having vintage PCPDs including the DCP-150 being not as transportable as current PCDPs. If I wanted something more portable with great sounds I take my iPod or one of my more current PCDP that has skip protection and plays MP3s. No matter how great a PCDP sounds, it will never surpass the sound out of a fullsize CDP. I have yet to hear a better sounding PCDP vintage or the latest than the DCP-150.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back