Denon DCP-150: ebay Buy it now $429
Nov 8, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #196 of 217
Wow, including the box even, pretty cool, that buyer got a really great deal. They normally don't go for as low as that in Germany, especially when being so complete.

That seller doesn't seem to ship outside Europe though.

Nov 8, 2004 at 11:02 PM Post #197 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by Notorious P.I.G.
And worth every penny. Wish I got it (but I already have two).

I had two until fifteen minutes ago, LOL
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2004 at 11:02 PM Post #198 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanT
Well After the last one before that I tought the price were going down but $355, it back up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3838093019 which include Original Box Remote control, Original WallWart, Original Mini-RCA cable, Original Battery and the carrying bag.

It sold for 113 euro
icon10.gif
cool.gif

Ah but they only ship to europe for that auction - darn, they don't like shipping to US eh?

Nov 9, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #199 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Ah but they only ship to europe for that auction - darn, they don't like shipping to US eh?

Some Ebay sellers are willing to ship to the US if you explain to them that your are willing to pay for shipping and if you both can agreee on a method of payment. Most sellers from Germany don't want to ship to the US because it too far and they fear that the item may get lost during shipping or that shipping would be too expensive.

Nov 9, 2004 at 12:19 AM Post #200 of 217
Congrats LamerDelux on making a great sale on your DCP-150, I hope the new owner will enjoy it as much as you. 41 people that was currently keeping watch on your auction is quite alot. I for one couldn't possibly bring myself to sell my DCP-150.

Nov 9, 2004 at 12:22 AM Post #201 of 217
Congrats on the rather healthy price. It's amazing what people will pay, but your model was in perfect condition. Mint, almost. But wow, congrats. I'm surprised yet not surprised that the price went up that high. I wonder if a head-fier got it though...

Nov 9, 2004 at 12:24 AM Post #202 of 217
Thanks Oddball and warubozo!

I guess as he's willing to pay such a good price for it, he knows what he's buying and will probably know how to enjoy it. I'm looking forward to hearing what he thinks of it when he receives it.

I try not to think too much about selling that DCP-150
smily_headphones1.gif
Luckily I have another one, but now I don't have a backup unit anymore. Though now another person gets a chance to enjoy this great player.

I also wonder if the buyer reads head-fi. The unit I sold is indeed in a great condition. Quite amazing for such a relatively old model.

Dec 19, 2004 at 6:38 PM Post #204 of 217
where are the new crops of dcp 150???

this time last year the market was en fuego for vintage players.

Dec 19, 2004 at 7:08 PM Post #205 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by spwal

Hmm...there have been quite a few but mostly on the European eBays, Germany in particular. I bought mine from Germany.

Dec 20, 2004 at 6:46 AM Post #206 of 217
Quote:

Why would you go with an ipod that will go the way of the Machintosh Apple 2 e (most of the people in here are too young to remember what us older folks grew up with).

The Denon and all vintage portables worth remembering have gone the way of fine wine, that is why they are discussed and sought after today. No you cant listen to one on the go, but after a hard day on a business trip or late night in the university library, as many of us head fiers can relate, we get the pleasure of kicking back with a beer and a fantastic sound system thats packed into a backpack or over night case. It is a rare and special pleasure that an entire age of mp3ers will miss out on, in much the same way as vinyl has passed me by...

The vintage discmen are a great part of audio history, ipods are great gadgets--that will undoubtedly prove to be a part of audio history in their own right.

And lets not forget that these units were 300 to 500 dollars to start with--all of them bvack to the d25 (i still remember the envy i felt when my friends dad bought a gyroscopic gooseneck to put the cd player in the car).

I will gladly sacrifice the portability an ipod provides for the lush and refined sound a vintage provides. I would never buy into the slick media campain of apple, and forget what it is all about--the quest for great sounding music.

As it was mentioned earlier, these two are apples and oranges and not poll worthy. Head-fiers manage to coexist in relative peace. I mean the home rig people aren't even bothering to throw in ther $.02 because it doesnt concern them. I can promise you that ipods will be worth less than a 100 bucks some time soon (like and xbox etc.), and the vintage portable people will be all the wiser...

And to make it really interesting, a controled sonic comparison between the ipod etc and some vintage classics. Lets see how that would be!

Thanks folks for the civility and the mature sharing of ideas
cool.gif

spwal, I'm listening right now to my 150; own a 100 as well, but it's nowhere close in overall sound quality, as others have correctly pointed out. I just finished A/B'ing the Denon 150 and my 4G 40GB iPod's Line Out with my SR-71 and my Gilmore Lite+PSU... MS-2s, ER4s, HD650s, HD-25s, DT880s, and my PS-1s hooked up to both, with nice array of music (CDs for the 150, of course; Apple Lossless from the Line Out (Sik Din and base) for the iPod)... guess what?

The iPod smoked the 150. I'm talking with both amps and every headphone, every type of music. Bought my 150 new from the old Tweeter, Etc., just off Harvard Square, many moons ago; it's in perfect condition... even have the useless 'case' and both original batteries!

Make no mistake- if I were in the market today for a PCDP, there's only one king... the 150. But I'm not. I hook my 4G 40GB iPod's L/O to my SR-71, then on to my ER4s, or MS-2s, etc., and I get BETTER sonic quality, IMO. No fumbling with CDs, etc... spwal, you can bawl over the sale, but collect yourself, go get an iPod from BB (with the 3 year $49.00 exchange thing, natch), and you have better sound from this 'lil 'gadget' (LOL, I love how everyone predicts the demise of Apple for twenty years, then uses the iPod's success to denigrate their products and predict Apple's doom yet again... priceless)... hey, I'm fond of Apple, and I buy the products I feel are good from them... but I am a huge Denon fan; have owned their home and portable stuff for years, and I am a * fanatic * about sound quality- first, last, and always... if that's what you're after, spwal, forget about the hideous Apple ad campaigns and just go try out a 4G/5G iPod from its Line Out, (sorry, I can't mention that enough- the iPod's headphone jack and the Line Out are * way * different in amp'ed listening quality), with a good amp and your favorite cans, LOSSLESS music files from the iPod's Line Out, NOT the headphone jack... you may be surprised...
icon10.gif

Or, grab another 150 off of eBay and never let it go again. It's the best 'portable' (yeah, right) CDP out there, and probably will be forever.

But to say that the 150 smokes the 4G iPod's L/O running Lossless... nonsense. Just heard them both, and it wasn't even close. Time moves technology forward for a reason, and until the iPod's Line Out, lossless (ok, there's always been iPod compatibility with good old AIFF files, but the [1G through 5G] iPod's buffer 'burps' digesting them because they are so HUGE), and the 4G's new Wolfson DAC chip got together, I would have called it a draw... but now (4G and 5G) iPods have it all over the 150, as long as you use the Line Out and Lossless files... I sympathize with the 'Seller's Remorse', though, spwal... I wouldn't part with this 'lil 150, but that's because my 8 year old daughter will soon be using the 150, rather than some Sony, etc. cr*p, as her 'room' source...
icon10.gif
Thank goodness she digs Jazz and not Britney...
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Dec 20, 2004 at 4:16 PM Post #207 of 217
Quote:

Besides ipodstudio getting his DCP-150, there have been two other members here that are new owners of the DCP-150. I wouldn't say that the DCP-150 smokes the ipod, I also own one and the sound quality it can deliver with Lossless is incredible. I use the ipod when I don't want to lug around my pcdp or don't want to mess with cds.

Dec 20, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #208 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
Besides ipodstudio getting his DCP-150, there have been two other members here that are new owners of the DCP-150. I would say that the DCP-150 smokes the ipod, I also own one and the sound quality it can deliver with Lossless is incredible. I use the ipod when I don't want to lug around my pcdp or don't want to mess with cds.

Well, we'll soon see and funny you should mention it as I'm just about to do a test review of those two at the ipod studio. Should be posting within a couple of weeks. I haven't had an ipod since I've owned the Denon as my last one met an unfortunate end but I have a new ipod mini arriving Wednesday and I fully intend to test it thoroughly against the DCP-150.
I'm just compiling some test music for that review as we speak!!
basshead.gif
icon10.gif

I'll wait until then before commenting further as it's been a while since I used an ipod critically and it wouldn't be fair or accurate.

Dec 20, 2004 at 5:54 PM Post #209 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
Well, we'll soon see and funny you should mention it as I'm just about to do a test review of those two at the ipod studio. Should be posting within a couple of weeks. I haven't had an ipod since I've owned the Denon as my last one met an unfortunate end but I have a new ipod mini arriving Wednesday and I fully intend to test it thoroughly against the DCP-150.
I'm just compiling some test music for that review as we speak!!
basshead.gif
icon10.gif

I'll wait until then before commenting further as it's been a while since I used an ipod critically and it wouldn't be fair or accurate.

Ooops, I meant to say wouldn't smoke the ipod, don't mean to start any flame war between ipod owners and DCP-150 as I own and enjoy both.

Dec 20, 2004 at 6:04 PM Post #210 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
Ooops, I meant to say wouldn't smoke the ipod, don't mean to start any flame war between ipod owners and DCP-150 as I own and enjoy both.

LOL! I thought you might have meant that, but no mind. It'll be fun to compare, anyways.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back