Denon DCD-1500 (D-1500) headphone out
post-812163
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 7

GuineaMcPig

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 19, 2003
Messages
405
Reaction score
12
Joined
May 19, 2003
Posts
405
Likes
12
Hello all-

I'm looking for a sub-$100 redbook source that will sound decent with my Grado SR-225's. I've set my sights on the Denon D-1500 as pretty much the best bang for my buck, and I notice that it has a headphone out. I won't be able to afford an amp for a while, and was wondering if any owners of this CD player can comment on the sound of the headphone out. Is it as a good as most receiver's headphone outs?

Thanks!

~Jordan
 
     Share This Post       
post-812384
Post #2 of 7

mkmelt

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 14, 2002
Messages
907
Reaction score
16
Joined
Jun 14, 2002
Posts
907
Likes
16
The headphone jack of the Denon DCD-1500 is rated to deliver 70 mw @ 32 ohms. This is way more power than is needed to drive a pair of Grado phones. The Denon also can drive high impedance phones quite well. When the headphone output of my Denon DCD-1500 player was compared to the latest Perreaux solid state amplifier using some Sennheiser HD-600 phones, those who heard this combination agreed that the Denon had audibly stronger bass than the Perreaux amp. The overall sound of the Perreaux, however, was a bit smoother than the Denon. Still, for well under $100 a Denon 1500 it is a good deal. It is a very analog sounding red book player.
 
     Share This Post       
post-963643
Post #3 of 7

kfh227

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 21, 2004
Messages
203
Reaction score
0
Joined
May 21, 2004
Posts
203
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuineaMcPig
Hello all-

I'm looking for a sub-$100 redbook source that will sound decent with my Grado SR-225's. I've set my sights on the Denon D-1500 as pretty much the best bang for my buck, and I notice that it has a headphone out. I won't be able to afford an amp for a while, and was wondering if any owners of this CD player can comment on the sound of the headphone out. Is it as a good as most receiver's headphone outs?

Thanks!

~Jordan



I AM IN THE SAME EXACT BOAT!

I was wondering if you picked up the Denon and if you are happy with the headphone outputs. I'll be using it primarily with hte Senns in my signature. Driving the Senns I have should be a snap from what mkmelt mentioned. I could always switch overto the Grado's I have.

Thanks,
Karl
 
     Share This Post       
post-964168
Post #4 of 7

GuineaMcPig

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 19, 2003
Messages
405
Reaction score
12
Joined
May 19, 2003
Posts
405
Likes
12
My search ended this summer. I got one for $50 on eBay and am quite happy with it. It's definitely not the final word, but it sounds a hell of a lot better than any portable that I've heard (including a couple "higher end" vintage PCDP's). And the headphone out is POWERFUL...the volume knob starts at around 7:00 and I don't think I've ever had it past 9:00 with my Grados. It will probably hold me over for a while (and my 'while' is a lot longer than those head-fiers that fell in love with their perreauxs, kept thenm a 'while,' then sold them a month later). It will have to...because I'm broke!

~Jordan
 
     Share This Post       
post-964476
Post #5 of 7

Canman

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 13, 2003
Messages
3,667
Reaction score
14
Joined
May 13, 2003
Posts
3,667
Likes
14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mkmelt
The headphone jack of the Denon DCD-1500 is rated to deliver 70 mw @ 32 ohms. This is way more power than is needed to drive a pair of Grado phones. The Denon also can drive high impedance phones quite well. When the headphone output of my Denon DCD-1500 player was compared to the latest Perreaux solid state amplifier using some Sennheiser HD-600 phones, those who heard this combination agreed that the Denon had audibly stronger bass than the Perreaux amp. The overall sound of the Perreaux, however, was a bit smoother than the Denon. Still, for well under $100 a Denon 1500 it is a good deal. It is a very analog sounding red book player.


I am going to call the DCD-1500 is the "mkmelt special". It's a great cd player and a heck of a deal. The headphone out is not bad either. It didn't have the refinement of the Perreaux or comparable amps but it didn't seem to lack power.
 
     Share This Post       
post-965102
Post #6 of 7

kfh227

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 21, 2004
Messages
203
Reaction score
0
Joined
May 21, 2004
Posts
203
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
I am going to call the DCD-1500 is the "mkmelt special". It's a great cd player and a heck of a deal. The headphone out is not bad either. It didn't have the refinement of the Perreaux or comparable amps but it didn't seem to lack power.


Well, I think I'm sold on this one. I'll be hunting one down ASAP.

Thanks to both of you for the help!
Karl
 
     Share This Post       
post-965179
Post #7 of 7

mkmelt

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 14, 2002
Messages
907
Reaction score
16
Joined
Jun 14, 2002
Posts
907
Likes
16
If you decide to purchase a Denon DCD-1500, be sure the unit is well packed for shipping. This includes making sure that the transport lock screw is installed in the underside of the chassis. If the original lock screw is lost (it normally is stored in a spring clamp slot on the underside of the chassis just behind the front left foot when not in use, be sure to have the seller install a suitable replacement. My information is that the correct size for the transport screw is a metric size m3x70. A small washer can be used to hold the head of the screw against the bottom of the player. Make sure the seller understands that they need to install this screw into the underside of the player prior to shipping the unit.

Also, be sure to remove the transport screw before attempting to use the player.

Also, also, be sure to get one that includes the original Denon remote control. The remote is full function, and in fact the only way to control the volume of the variable outputs is via the remote. The DCD-1500 CD player also has standard fixed outputs.

The player also features a digital output port (it is non standard). I have never been able to determine what type of cable would have to be rigged to be able to use the digital output from this player. As I recall the digital output port looks like it will accept an S-connector, the type used for DVD players and television, but as to how it is wired, I dunno. I don't have an external DIO, so I have never investigated this further.
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top