Denon D7000's Midrange and Treble
May 8, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #61 of 73
For me the Source has made the most dramatic effect on Glare or edginess with d7000. Out of my X-FI sound was pretty rough and edgy. Compass smoothed everything out, a little too much. The Stello DA100 I use know is perfect to my ears. very musical never unpleasant unless the music is poorly recorded mixed or mastered (alot of the newer music is!!!).

May 8, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #62 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by launche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There could be several reasons for a perceived recessed or distant midrange. But again we must first consider the source material. Sammy Hagar, Scorpions and U2 are average recordings at their best. As is much of that and similiar genres and may not be viable to use for fair analysis. Now if that is what one listens to mainly then surely find a can that flatters that music.

Sammy Hagar and Scorpions aren't my audiophile listening material. But sometimes I just need to get my rock on and that's some of the music that does it for me. Blue Öyster Cult too, and Deep Purple, and Rush.

Bad Boys Running Wild from Love at First Sting is one of the songs that I noticed with distant vocals.

Amazon has a 30 second clip that is enough to demonstrate the problem
Amazon CD Love at First Sting
Amazon MP3 Love at First Sting

Yeah, the sound quality will make an audiophile cringe. But it's about the music and the energy and not sound quality bliss.

The recessed vocal effect is more evident at lower volume. At high volume the vocals come forward, but that volume level is high enough for me that my ears will be ringing if I listen to the whole song that way. I normally listen to music at a mid or low-mid volume. I don't listen loud.

Try that track on a Denon. Then switch to something like a HD600 or Grado. With the HD600 and Grado the vocals are prominent. The recessed vocal effect isn't something that is inherent in the recording and mixing. It's something that is brought out by the D2000.

May 8, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #63 of 73
The distant vocal is quite disturbing suffice to say. I really need the midrange in my next can.

I had a nice conversation with musicman59 regarding the JVC DX1000 and I guess now it's the perfect time to bring this to the comparison. So, would anyone who have heard both the D7000 and DX1000 comment on these cans?

May 9, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #64 of 73
Tried the new input cable option to get rid of treble glare which has worked a treat
biggrin.gif
Replaced my SPOFC Milian Acoustic with a DIY which I knocked up yesterday afternoon.........

It's all copper Mogami Neglex and I listened last night for about 4 hours without any glare, I'm well happy!!!

My DIY glare beater:

P1000955.jpg

P1000958.jpg

May 9, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #65 of 73
Just got my D7000 today. Don't have any of the problems some are having. I also have HD 650 and K701. The D7000 for me is much better and that's right out of the box.

I have a WA6SE maxxed,
PS Audio - Premier Power Conditioner, Black Sand V1 power cord and a PS Audio - Classic Power Port.

May 9, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #66 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by sillysally /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my D7000 today. Don't have any of the problems some are having. I also have HD 650 and K701. The D7000 for me is much better and that's right out of the box.

I have a WA6SE maxxed,
PS Audio - Premier Power Conditioner, Black Sand V1 power cord and a PS Audio - Classic Power Port.

Maybe its how well the set up matches the Denons that determines whether the mid-range is recessed, and whether there is some glare.

As I recall, my MD5000s had a bit more recessed mids and glare, occasionally, with set ups that didn't match them so well. And... before they were well burnt in.

They sound good with my WA6 SEM, my MiniMax, and... they sounded great with the 2 X-CANv8s I had.

They had somewhat recessed mids and a bit of glare, occasionally, with the DV332, or the Solo 2007, I had - which were great with high impedance phones, but not quite as good with my low impedance phones.

May 10, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #67 of 73
I wonder how the Denon will do with the Caliente or the Mini 3. I want to get a hybrid amp but it seems that it's less flexible compared to either full SS or tube.

As for DX1000 vs D7000, I think the D7000 will be a safer bet. It seems to be more versatile and availability (and consequently, price) is better too here in Asia. OTOH, can anyone comment on treble extension between the D7000 and D2000?

May 10, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #68 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how the Denon will do with the Caliente or the Mini 3. I want to get a hybrid amp but it seems that it's less flexible compared to either full SS or tube.

As for DX1000 vs D7000, I think the D7000 will be a safer bet. It seems to be more versatile and availability (and consequently, price) is better too here in Asia. OTOH, can anyone comment on treble extension between the D7000 and D2000?

Actually... my Millett MiniMax hybrid is one of the most "flexible" amps I've had - sounding good with both high and low impedance phones. It seems to possess the best of both tube and SS amps.

You might try one, just to see what you think. If so, there are a couple on the F/S Forum right now, at bargain prices. I think you'd be surprised.

May 12, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #69 of 73
Quote:

Hmm... very lively discussions here, me like it!

So for those folks with a D7000, what can you say about the shortcomings of the Denon or what aspects you would like to improve? Does it still present the tiny hint of sibilance present in D2000/D5000?

It has shown the slightest amount of sibilance with a particular set of tubes on my amp. I swapped them for another brand and the sibilance went away.

May 15, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #70 of 73
Ok on the first page I said that I would do a review comparing the Grado 325i's and the D7000's. Well one problem, I have not got the Grado's out of the case for more than 5 minutes since the Denon's showed up. I am in love with the 7000's, so far the best dynamic headphones I have heard.

May 15, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #71 of 73
Congrats! Same here, my Grado's have been collecting dust for 5 months.

May 15, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #72 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Listen2this1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok on the first page I said that I would do a review comparing the Grado 325i's and the D7000's. Well one problem, I have not got the Grado's out of the case for more than 5 minutes since the Denon's showed up. I am in love with the 7000's, so far the best dynamic headphones I have heard.

Yep, that was my experience as well, for me, the Grados in question were the GS1000s. I had amassed a small collection of cool phones for various types of music and situations but found the D7000 sound signature so preferable and so fantastic with every genre of music I own that I felt completely comfortable selling off all the others. The proceeds of which are going to a pair of PS1000s; so Grado will get another shot at king of the hill. I am anticipating them to be nice complements as representatives from the closed and open-back varieties, but considering the excessive price, it will be hard to hold onto the PS1000s if they are not utterly sublime.

Regardless, for me, the D7000s are the most enjoyable headphones I have owned or heard to date. It is certainly fun to hear about others having that same experience!

beerchug.gif

May 15, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #73 of 73
Quote:

So, does anyone have anything to say against that?
tongue.gif

Comfort. Denons for the win in that department.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back