Denon D5000 sound leakage question
Nov 21, 2008 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jack667

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

Apologies if this has been covered, but I had a quick search and couldn't find anything about it here.

I want to buy a pair of Denon D5000 based on all the good things I have read, however I have two questions.

I don't currently have a headphone amp, are they going to produce loud sound levels using an iMac or iPod with lossless material?

I also plan to use these at work.. is there a lot of sound leakage from these cans when the volume goes up?

I'm currently using a pair of Audio Technica M50 and although I enjoy their sound, i feel like they're missing something. They are however, extremely good at keeping noise in, and out.

Appreciate any comments/thoughts you clever lot have..

Cheers

Nov 21, 2008 at 8:57 AM Post #2 of 7
Yes even without amp they can go very loud. The m50 somehow look like ultrasone e9 not sure if they have the same kind of isolation as the e9 but if they do then they will have superior isolation compared to the denons, although the denons should block enough sounds leaking out to not disturb your coworkers if you listen to them at moderate level.

Nov 21, 2008 at 9:18 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for your fast reply - all the information I needed
icon10.gif

Just out of curiosity, how do the D7000s compare with the D5000s? Is there a big difference in sound?

Nov 21, 2008 at 9:22 AM Post #4 of 7
No idea sorry, my answer was actually just based on my d7000 but they are supposedly very similar in build/isolation.
The d7000 is supposed to be a bit more sensitive than the d5000 according to the specs so they should go a little bit louder but you probably shouldn't worry about volume since the d7000 can already get to dangerously loud level with just the ipod the d5000 could still very very loud
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #5 of 7
I just want to add to what hawat said and say that please don't listen at elevated levels that could damage your hearing
wink.gif

One good thing about closed headphones (although the d2000 didn't isolate that much in my experience) is that you can listen at lower volumes due to the reduced ambient noise.

So listen safely and you'll be able to listen longer and more effectively
wink.gif

HeadWize - Article: Preventing Hearing Damage When Listening With Headphones (A HeadWize Headphone Guide)

Enjoy the headphones jack 667!
jecklinsmile.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #6 of 7
From what I read so far, D7000 has a tighter bass control than D5000 and a better build, basically. I am sure they are more fine details, but that's what I've gathered so far.

If I were you though, if I have a money to buy D7000, I'd get D5000 and get a decent portable amp to free your cans.

Nov 21, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 7
I had D7000's for a loan for a week and liked them alot. Now when I have my own D5000's I have to say I like these more than D7000's. Everything sounds just right even it has under 20h of burn-in. Now that it has about 60h it sounds even better.

That is of course my opinion, you have to listen to all of them to make your own decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back