Denon D2000 vs Senheiser HD25-1 II vs Audio Technica A900
Nov 4, 2008 at 12:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

phandrew

500+ Head-Fier
I have decided to buy one of these 3 headphones after weeks of searching.
My main priority is sound quality but i here they are all very close to each other so i am stuck.

Nov 4, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #2 of 12
I've owned two of these three (A900 and HD25), and I'd take a beyerdynamic DT770 over either one of them. I can't speak for the Denon because I've never heard one before.

Also, as a word of warning: if you wear glasses, take the HD25 off your list. You will likely learn a new meaning of pain trying to wear glasses with them.

Nov 4, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 12
I've heard all 3 at the same time (Owned the HD25s and D2000s, and had another head-fi'ers A900s in possession). the A900s sound thin particularly in the mid range in comparison to the 2 mentioned above. The HD25s sound congested in comparison to the two. The d2000 has bloated bass and recessed mids in comparison to the other two. All 3 headphones have obvious flaws, that are unacceptable imo. If I had to order them from best to worse my opinion would be D2000 > A900 >= HD25.

What's your budget?

Nov 4, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #5 of 12
I am currently using the HD280pro and they have good sound quality but the bass impact lacks a bit so i am looking for one with same or better sound quality with more bass impact.

So now the choices are down to 2. Denon D2000 or Beyerdynamic DT770 2005

Nov 4, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #6 of 12
What will you be driving them with? The Denons are low impedence and easy to drive. Even with fairly poor sources (ie: something stupid like plugged into an iPod) they have quite a bit of bass.

Nov 4, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #7 of 12
The HD25-1 will be the easiest to drive despite their 70 ohms. To remove any congestion from them, loud burn-in is required. They are the most valuable dynamic Sennheisers for me, and I don't care for their soundstage limitations. All the rest is from between the Grado and the Sennheiser worlds.

Nov 5, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by BruteFM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned two of these three (A900 and HD25), and I'd take a beyerdynamic DT770 over either one of them. I can't speak for the Denon because I've never heard one before.

Also, as a word of warning: if you wear glasses, take the HD25 off your list. You will likely learn a new meaning of pain trying to wear glasses with them.

I wear glasses, with a thick rim, but I have no problems with wearing the HD 25. And I find the HD 25 being one of the cans that has the most value to me at this price range. One of the characteristics is limited soundstage, which I do not really care about. Actually I really like the forward presentation of music, instead of laid back and distant. Also, this can separates itself from a lot of cans in this price range: its mids are not recessed! Recessed mids is absolutely unacceptable to me, no matter how much details the headphones present. So I encourage you to try the HD 25, you will fall in love with it =)

Nov 5, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD25-1 will be the easiest to drive despite their 70 ohms. To remove any congestion from them, loud burn-in is required. They are the most valuable dynamic Sennheisers for me, and I don't care for their soundstage limitations. All the rest is from between the Grado and the Sennheiser worlds.

I bought mine used, and used them everyday for a couple of months, they still sounded congested in comparison to full sized cans. If you don't need them for portability I would personally skip these, but ymmv
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidtai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wear glasses, with a thick rim, but I have no problems with wearing the HD 25.

I suppose that could make a difference. I have wireframes, and the HD25 helped cut grooves in the side of my head.
frown.gif

Sonically, I'd still take the DT770 '05 over it. I sold a pair of A900s so that I could pick one up (at a profit, no less) and I couldn't be happier.

I will agree that the HD25 does pretty well without an amp. That was the reason I bought it in the first place, and it ran just fine out of the Sony DAP I was using at the time. It's just incredibly uncomfortable to me, and the sound wasn't anything special.

Nov 6, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #12 of 12
The Beyers sounds very nice for their price ( especially when they went for $108 shipped on amazon the last few days )

But the Denon D2000 is worth every penny for the upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back