Denon D2000 vs. ATH-ESW9
Nov 10, 2008 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

aphexii

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone heard both of them? How do they compare?

As much as I love the ESW9, I think I really need to get a circumaural pair and keep hearing good things about the D2000's.

Nov 12, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #4 of 10
Think i might just pick up a pair to check em out
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #6 of 10
what's the deal with d2000 reviews? there are those that say it's very accurate and lively (headphone.com comes to mind), and then there are reviews such as this that say it's slow and uninspired. i've been searching for the past few days for reviews and it seems most people's opinion of these cans stay at the extremes.

what is it exactly? does this headphone require a certain amp/dac combo or something? i find it very confusing to only see extremely bad or good reviews without many in between.

Nov 12, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #7 of 10
I think the D2000 can be a bit neutral for some people, so it comes across as being "uninspiring". I've heard them myself and I think they sound a lot less "closed in" compared to the D1000/D1001 and the ESW9's. This comes at a price, that being the size of the phones.

Nov 12, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by techniqu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what's the deal with d2000 reviews? there are those that say it's very accurate and lively (headphone.com comes to mind), and then there are reviews such as this that say it's slow and uninspired. i've been searching for the past few days for reviews and it seems most people's opinion of these cans stay at the extremes.

what is it exactly? does this headphone require a certain amp/dac combo or something? i find it very confusing to only see extremely bad or good reviews without many in between.

I'm wondering the same. I owned the D2000 for a couple of weeks.
The first week, I said to myself: wow, these are really great. A full, rich sound, pleasant on the ear. The best sounding closed headphone for the money.
But from week to week I noticed several shortcomings. Like a not so detailed bass. Electric bass and a acoustic bass sounded almost the same.
Like recessed vocals, muffled backwards in the mix.
Like a sometimes too hars treble, and annoying sibilance.
Like a lack of speed and pace.
And a earcup falling off. Could easily be repaired, but spoiled a lot of fun.
Maybe it's a sort of disappointment, that provides the bad reviews.
Maybe in my case it was a unfortunate pairing with my amps. I really can't tell.
I sold them.

Nov 12, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by techniqu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They need a good SS amp for current and power. Balanced of my SP Square Wave XL my D2000 are lively, but with my old DV336i they were a little more veiled and less controlled. (remembering back in February when I compared the D2000 to HFI-780 and that's exactly what I heard since all I had was portable amps and my DV336i).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back