Denon d2000 unamped
Aug 12, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 23
Unamped ohm is best at 32ohm

D2000 run at 24ohm, meaning they wouldn't need a amp out of anything

But be warned, I always do this, please don't hate, I think that Denon are kinda boring. IMO

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 23
What's your:

Price Range
Music tastes
preference of headphone (comfort, sound, looks)
and any sources/amp/or DAC (ipod, computer, receivers or amps)

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #7 of 23
The Denons definitely sound good without a amp.

(But they sound much better with one)

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #8 of 23

Quote:
The Denons definitely sound good without a amp.

(But they sound much better with one)

Everything sounds better, just a bit if they don't, everything sounds better amped. Especially Grado

Aug 12, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #13 of 23

Quote:
And I like headphones with a big soundstage if that helps
biggrin.gif

Sony MDR-7509HD

I like a balanced can for anything with a good bit of bass and maybe some classical due to rap artists

For your genres, I turn to my V6 which are little brothers to the 7509HD and the 7509HD doesn't need a amp and won't be hurt by going without. $200 and all you will need for a LONG time

Aug 12, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #14 of 23
I'm one (like a few others on here) that think they're best with a full desktop amp. Giving them a second chance when I got a desktop amp was totally worth it and changed my opinion of them.

Back in early 2010 or so I complained that they had very bloated bass and recessed mids. When I got my Asgard in early 2011 my opinion of them totally changed. I loved them and it hard to even think they had slightly recessed mids! Didn't sound this way to me.

The day after I tried them with my amp I went downstairs to listen to them unamped and hated how they sounded. Went back upstairs to my amp and the problem was fixed.

Why this is I'll never know.

They deserve a good desktop amp if you can afford it.

So yes, they might sound decent unamped. Just worth trying it. It seems the bass is much better controlled with a good amp.

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #15 of 23

Quote:
I'm one (like a few others on here) that think they're best with a full desktop amp. Giving them a second chance when I got a desktop amp was totally worth it and changed my opinion of them.

Back in early 2010 or so I complained that they had very bloated bass and recessed mids. When I got my Asgard in early 2011 my opinion of them totally changed. I loved them and it hard to even think they had slightly recessed mids! Didn't sound this way to me.

The day after I tried them with my amp I went downstairs to listen to them unamped and hated how they sounded. Went back upstairs to my amp and the problem was fixed.

Why this is I'll never know.

They deserve a good desktop amp if you can afford it.

So yes, they might sound decent unamped. Just worth trying it. It seems the bass is much better controlled with a good amp.

I find it still bloated and recessed with any amp I've tried, but yes to a lesser extent. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back