Denon d2000 unamped
Aug 13, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #16 of 23
I find it still bloated and recessed with any amp I've tried, but yes to a lesser extent. 

Different strokes...

To the OP,

Just grab a set of cans and judge for yourself, don't put much faith in written word for audio products.

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #18 of 23

Quote:
I'm one (like a few others on here) that think they're best with a full desktop amp.

I'm probably the most vocal supporter of giving these cans a good amp and dac.

It sounds so much better with one that I can't stand to drive it out of an iPod or crap receiver.

Invest in a decent 200 dollar amp/dac combo (these days you can probably get a good 100 dollar amp/dac), then thank me later.  I have no idea why anyone would want to drive it directly out of an iPod or Laptop. 

They might not take much, but what you give them comes back to you in spades.

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #19 of 23

It's really just what you have for reference.

Judging from the OP I would say he does not have a large collection of headphones.

The D2K will do just what he asked.

Sep 16, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #22 of 23
One strange thing I noticed recently is that the D2000 has VERY bloated bass using an Ipod Touch and amp.
To me they're unusable. Switched to a different source/DAC and the problem was fixed. Very much neutral bass and not bloated or uncontrolled EVER!
Not sure if the Ipod Touch is supposed to be bassy or what. Always heard it was supposed to be neutral. I have the 2G version.
D2000 loves the Nuforce Mobile DAC. Don't ask me how or why, but it just does. I usually listen to CDs, but my DAC will be upgraded soon.

D2000 also sounds great with the E11. I do think the D2000 is worthy of a good desktop amp as long as it's fairly neutral and doesn't add any extra bass (unless you want that).
It sounded good out of my Asgard.

Sep 18, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #23 of 23
I currently have an Asgard and a Dac Magic for my home set up.  I'll be listening to these at work so would be interested in something like the nuforce mobile or the nuforce icon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back