Denon D2000/D5000 vs Ultrasone PRO 900
Mar 18, 2011 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sysfail

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 1, 2011
Posts
785
Likes
40
I have been set on getting an Ultrasone PRO 900, but I've been looking around and found that the Denon D2000/D5000 also compete well against the PRO 900 within the same price range. I want to get one last pair of closed headphones that will provide a different sound signiture from the headphones I currently own (see signiture). I particularly love the Grado sound signiture and Sennheiser HD600's detail and clarity, so if one of these headphones resembles that kind of sound signiture then it would be great also (but of course it still holds its own sound signiture). I know these are bass oriented headphones and the Grado/HD600 are not, but a bass oriented headphone is what I'm looking for (like a Grado with more quantity but still quality bass). Also, I have a feeling that the PRO 900 or the D2000/D5000 might sound too similar to my Beyer DT990/600ohm, and I don't want that. I want a different sound, but resembling the Grado sound is ok cause I love it.
tongue_smile.gif
I'm asking a lot, but hopefully someone can help. Thanks!

 
 
Mar 18, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 15

Katun

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 27, 2009
Posts
3,229
Likes
143
Location
Washington
Before my favorite headphone left (D2000), I had to do a super long comparison against the Pro 900. Well, turns out the Pro 900 was the keeper. I remember jotting down some notes after the comparison was complete, just so I wouldn't forget my findings. Basically, the D2000 sounds a tier higher or brighter than the Pro 900. And the bass on the Pro 900 generally outclassed the D2000's bass. Those two sound aspects made me prefer it over the D2000 (not even getting into build or comfort).
 
But both have bright treble and very present bass, but the thing is, so does the DT990. From what I can remember, the DT990's are still much brighter than either of the two. Bass wise, I'm already sure the Pro 900 provides more of it. Both the D2000 and Pro 900 are fantastic headphones (two old favorites), and I will miss them.
 
I really would love to try the D5000 against the Pro 900. I think that would be a very square fight.
 
Mar 19, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 15

sysfail

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 1, 2011
Posts
785
Likes
40
Yeah I'm definitely leaning towards the D5000 vs the PRO 900 rather than the D2000. I threw that in there because new, the PRO 900 and D2000 are pretty much the same, the D5000 is much higher new, and if I want the D5000 then I'd have to get it used. I definitely don't want this purchase to sound like my DT990 or any of my other headphones except the Grado because I love the Grado sound signature.
tongue_smile.gif

 
Mar 19, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #4 of 15

Katun

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 27, 2009
Posts
3,229
Likes
143
Location
Washington
Quote:
Yeah I'm definitely leaning towards the D5000 vs the PRO 900 rather than the D2000. I threw that in there because new, the PRO 900 and D2000 are pretty much the same, the D5000 is much higher new, and if I want the D5000 then I'd have to get it used. I definitely don't want this purchase to sound like my DT990 or any of my other headphones except the Grado because I love the Grado sound signature.
tongue_smile.gif

 
I remember but a few months ago, the whole Denon DX000 series was much cheaper than it is now. I've seen the D2000 at $180, D5000 at $360, and the D7000 at about $680. Now, they all seemed to have jumped back to their MSRP which is a bit discouraging. If the D7000 stayed that low, I would have had a pair by now!
 
Mar 19, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #5 of 15

sysfail

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 1, 2011
Posts
785
Likes
40
Wow, that's a big price jump. Same thing with the Beyers, the DT990/600ohm could be had for $200 but now it's $300+ so I ended up buying a used. :frowning2:
 
Mar 19, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #6 of 15

tisb0b

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 27, 2009
Posts
723
Likes
16
The Pro900's are on the same level as the D7000's and are above the DT990's. 
 
Mar 19, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #7 of 15

sysfail

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 1, 2011
Posts
785
Likes
40


Quote:
The Pro900's are on the same level as the D7000's and are above the DT990's. 


Really? Same level as the D7000 at almost 1/4 the price? I think the PRO 900 is the clear winner then against the D5000 lol.
 
 
Mar 19, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #8 of 15

tisb0b

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 27, 2009
Posts
723
Likes
16
Yeah you have to go to the LCD-2 level before you find a headphone that is better and not different sounding. 
 
Quote:
Really? Same level as the D7000 at almost 1/4 the price? I think the PRO 900 is the clear winner then against the D5000 lol.
 



 
 
Mar 19, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #9 of 15

cswann1

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 5, 2009
Posts
1,656
Likes
92
Thinking that more money means better sound is exactly what the manufacturers marketing people are hoping you'll believe.  Don't "buy" into it. If you do you'll likely spend a lot of money on the next new bling and end up frustrated and disappointed.  There are lots of $300 ish headphones that are absolutely stellar performers.  But the thing is you're source component is really the determining factor of the quality of your music reproduction. Your amp to a lesser extent. 
 
   I listen to my HD580s even though I could afford pretty much any dynamic in production today.  I listen to them because I understand that they have the ability to reproduce music about as well as anything else regardless of price, and though I may be able to get better reproduction I'd probably have to spend 4 to 5 times their cost.  And then I'd probably only do about 10-15% better.  Right now, for me any upgrades would need to come from my electronics.  Either that or make the jump to electrostats which aren't perfect either.  Like anything they have their strengths a weaknesses.  People who think that the lowest stat on the market gives as good or better performance as the top performing dynamics (note I didn't say most expensive) are buying into hype.  
 
Hype is nothing, hearing is everything.
 
 
 
Mar 19, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #10 of 15

sysfail

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 1, 2011
Posts
785
Likes
40


Quote:
Thinking that more money means better sound is exactly what the manufacturers marketing people are hoping you'll believe.  Don't "buy" into it. If you do you'll likely spend a lot of money on the next new bling and end up frustrated and disappointed.  There are lots of $300 ish headphones that are absolutely stellar performers.  But the thing is you're source component is really the determining factor of the quality of your music reproduction. Your amp to a lesser extent. 
 
   I listen to my HD580s even though I could afford pretty much any dynamic in production today.  I listen to them because I understand that they have the ability to reproduce music about as well as anything else regardless of price, and though I may be able to get better reproduction I'd probably have to spend 4 to 5 times their cost.  And then I'd probably only do about 10-15% better.  Right now, for me any upgrades would need to come from my electronics.  Either that or make the jump to electrostats which aren't perfect either.  Like anything they have their strengths a weaknesses.  People who think that the lowest stat on the market gives as good or better performance as the top performing dynamics (note I didn't say most expensive) are buying into hype.  
 
Hype is nothing, hearing is everything.
 
 


Definitely agree with that. IMO I like my Grado SR80i more than anything I have and is almost tied with my HD600. It is also the cheapest headphones I paid for besides my Sony one!
 
 
Mar 21, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #12 of 15

sysfail

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 1, 2011
Posts
785
Likes
40
Mar 22, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #13 of 15

sferic

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 22, 2010
Posts
222
Likes
29
Have both. Love both. But the D5000's edged out the 900's and became my home listening phones because they have more smoothness & subtlety with all the slamming bass, while I still enjoy the 900's at work. It really depends on your taste in music. Can't go wrong either way IMO.
 
Mar 22, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #14 of 15

Leander7777

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 10, 2010
Posts
393
Likes
15
They are both very good headphones. the D7000 and the pro900 are often compared, as they share many similarities, but also some significant differences. To be honest, you can't go wrong with either. One thing, to be sure of, however, is that you let the pro900s break-in properly before you draw any conclusions. I'm at around 350 hours and they are still altering. Well, at around 200 was the biggest improvement; now they are just smoothening out and the mids are gradually coming out. If I were you I'd get the pro900 and spend the money you saved on a better cable. It really makes a big difference.
 
Mar 23, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #15 of 15

sysfail

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 1, 2011
Posts
785
Likes
40
Considering the D5000 is usually much more than the PRO 900, and D7000 is about 2-3 times more than the PRO 900, I went ahead and got a PRO 900 since they can even compete with something 2-3 times its price range.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top