Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Mar 29, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #4,846 of 5,248
  well I'm not longer in team Denon, my LA D5k shipped out today. Still I did enjoy it for the year or so that I had it. Frankly, with the FULL Lawton Mods it wasn't as fun as my TH X00 Alpha Pads or as transparent as my Modded W1000X, 

Non the less, I did enjoy it. Might have been one to keep if not for the others in my collection still you'll have a new Denon fan here shortly ^^ 

That and I might wander back in with a LA D7k ona these days [might just pony up the 2000 to that guy selling the NIB LA D7k he's been hoarding for years now] 

Yeah, he has had the for sale for that same price for almost 4 years.  Gotta admire his resolve...............

Sorry to see you go bro............stop by and visit sometime! 

Mar 29, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #4,847 of 5,248
well I'm not longer in team Denon, my LA D5k shipped out today. Still I did enjoy it for the year or so that I had it. Frankly, with the FULL Lawton Mods it wasn't as fun as my TH X00 Alpha Pads or as transparent as my Modded W1000X, 

Non the less, I did enjoy it. Might have been one to keep if not for the others in my collection still you'll have a new Denon fan here shortly ^^ 

That and I might wander back in with a LA D7k ona these days [might just pony up the 2000 to that guy selling the NIB LA D7k he's been hoarding for years now] 

I'm not sure who's crazier, the person that buys that D7k or the seller for pricing it where it is. I'm sure it's in pristine condition, but even from a collectors standpoint, it's been modified so it wouldn't have value like that.
Sorry, I just get annoyed every time I see that thing get bumped. Lol

Mar 29, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #4,848 of 5,248
I'm not sure who's crazier, the person that buys that D7k or the seller for pricing it where it is. I'm sure it's in pristine condition, but even from a collectors standpoint, it's been modified so it wouldn't have value like that.
Sorry, I just get annoyed every time I see that thing get bumped. Lol

Gawd I do too, like you don't even know 

still I'd like to have a LA D7k, and his is about as new as you might ever find. so who knows... one day I might grab it, or i might just get a TH 900 with Mods [might be the better buy] costs around the same ish... assuming I buy new 

either way, the TH X00 replaced my LA D5k in the Fun EDM zone, the full Lawton mods made it really balanced, and with tubes it was really something, though at the end of the day, it was too well balnaced honestly. The cash serves me better at this point int time, and it wasn't boring by any means, it just didn't compare with my HE 4 in the "balanced zone" and it didn't compare with the W1000X or the TH X00 in the fun colour'd zone 

Apr 15, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #4,850 of 5,248
Does anyone know where I can source D2000/D5000 drivers? My D5000s finally failed after ~4-5 years of daily listening. I already picked up new cans, but I'd like to repair the D5000s for sentimental reasons. Anyone have any experience with replacing the drivers either with OEM replacements or with ones with the same fitment?

Apr 16, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #4,851 of 5,248
i feel abit embarrassed for asking this online in a forum, i feel i should be able to handle this myself, but im looking for a 3.5 mm stereo jack to be soldered, with a 1/4" inch adapter that screws onto it, like the one that comes with the DX00s. the one on my dt 770s has failed, i looked all around the usual electronics shops in my neighborhood and none of them have such a thing, i searched ebay and couldnt find anything. i figured this would be a good place what with all the modding going on, so does anyone know a website? i soldered a regular 3.5 jack for the time beeing, and its just not as fun...

and i think this guy is asking the same thing

Quote:
  does anyone know where I could the same 1/8 inch plug for the D2K/D5K?

Apr 16, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #4,852 of 5,248
Apr 16, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #4,853 of 5,248
  i feel abit embarrassed for asking this online in a forum, i feel i should be able to handle this myself, but im looking for a 3.5 mm stereo jack to be soldered, with a 1/4" inch adapter that screws onto it, like the one that comes with the DX00s. the one on my dt 770s has failed, i looked all around the usual electronics shops in my neighborhood and none of them have such a thing, i searched ebay and couldnt find anything. i figured this would be a good place what with all the modding going on, so does anyone know a website? i soldered a regular 3.5 jack for the time beeing, and its just not as fun...

and i think this guy is asking the same thing

Quote:
  does anyone know where I could the same 1/8 inch plug for the D2K/D5K?

This is all I can find, and it's from Alibaba. 

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/3-5mm-Stereo-Male-Repair-Headphone_60265293707.html
+
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Screw-On-Waterproof-Headphone-Jack-Adaptor_60264540524.html

May 24, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #4,855 of 5,248
I've had my D2000's for a long time, at least 8 years, and I still love them. Im in on the Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart's and will be selling the Denon's to a coworker, I'm currently in the process of finishing modding them. Read the thread on the easy mod's for the TH-900 and applied the principles to the D2000....so now it has more forward mids, more bass, and just barely tamed highs. Only thing I need to work out to complete it is a headband, I will be using leftover perforated Alcantara I'm about to purchase for some car interior work.

Some pictures of the process so far...

D2000 broken down, cups have fiber paper tape applied to help dampen cups. Pads are J-Money lambskin...

Being the headband is held on by a single tiny screw to the adjustment mechanism and one of them stripped, I decided to make it a more secure attachment method...

With the original headband 'leather' in not that great shape I removed it. I also never liked the blocky look of the adjustment mechanism 'block' so I fixed it to make it less blocky...

And painted cups, swivel arm, and adjustment mechanism block satin black - cups clear coated and waxed. Rubber grommets also added to adjustment mechasim since the nylon original pieces are fragile and I broke one, plus never liked the way too easy to change on you nature of the adjustment. Stock headband cut and used as a temporary one...

Foam rings positioned into Stock + orientation and cottonball damping added to help tame the resulting more piercing highs...

Depending on how the headband works out I'll probably do the same adjustment mechanism and headband mods to the Purplehearts.

May 26, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #4,856 of 5,248
Does anyone know where I can source D2000/D5000 drivers? My D5000s finally failed after ~4-5 years of daily listening. I already picked up new cans, but I'd like to repair the D5000s for sentimental reasons. Anyone have any experience with replacing the drivers either with OEM replacements or with ones with the same fitment?

E-MU Teaks has the same drivers. You could contact a Denon Repair service to have them replace the drivers but it's next to impossible to source individual drivers.

May 27, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #4,857 of 5,248
I've had my D2000's for a long time, at least 8 years, and I still love them. Im in on the Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart's and will be selling the Denon's to a coworker, I'm currently in the process of finishing modding them. Read the thread on the easy mod's for the TH-900 and applied the principles to the D2000....so now it has more forward mids, more bass, and just barely tamed highs. Only thing I need to work out to complete it is a headband, I will be using leftover perforated Alcantara I'm about to purchase for some car interior work.

Some pictures of the process so far...

D2000 broken down, cups have fiber paper tape applied to help dampen cups. Pads are J-Money lambskin...
g the headband is held on by a single tiny screw to the adjustment mechanism and one of them stripped, I decided to make it a more secure attachment method...

With the original headband 'leather' in not that great shape I removed it. I also never liked the blocky look of the adjustment mechanism 'block' so I fixed it to make it less blocky...

And painted cups, swivel arm, and adjustment mechanism block satin black - cups clear coated and waxed. Rubber grommets also added to adjustment mechasim since the nylon original pieces are fragile and I broke one, plus never liked the way too easy to change on you nature of the adjustment. Stock headband cut and used as a temporary one...

Foam rings positioned into Stock + orientation and cottonball damping added to help tame the resulting more piercing highs...

Depending on how the headband works out I'll probably do the same adjustment mechanism and headband mods to the Purplehearts.

Very impressive. 

Jun 7, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #4,859 of 5,248

and none of the current crop of same physical unit style Fostex outdo the D5k in your opinion ?

Last year i auditioned the TH900's and i certainly prefered my AH-D5000's. I put it down to the wooden cups, i think the D5K has superior wooden cups compared to the TH900. Honestly, i've marvelled at the quality of the finish on them, the way they where varnished also. IMO this is what made the D5K/7K particularly good. If Fostex could make an exact replica of the D5K/7K then i'd be happy to give them my money. I may just buy TH600's though and transfer the D5K's wooden cups on to those, my D5K's are old now.
frown.gif

I'm sure the up-coming TH610 will be an amazing headphone in it's own right also, but it's not an original D5K/7K.

I know some may believe graphs are still not a good indicator of absolute neutrality, but I found this one site's graphs align almost dead-on with what I believe I hear. I like a gentle lift of extra oomph and sizzle on the frequency extremes and a neutral sound in the middle spectrum. This graph below matches this sonic preference and is exactly how I perceive my Denons when listening critically and running sweeps across them: they are a beauty to listen to! Going a step further, the HD 800's make the classic Sennheiser HD 6xx sound veiled and outclass them in treble response, but the Denons are easily on-par if not better.

Denon_AH-D5000_fr_impedance.png

The Sennheiser HD 800's are no slouch, mind you, but their pseudo-holographic effect I have always found distracting in the ultimate sense–not exactly authentic and robbing bite and attack in order to produce the illusion of a larger than life sonic picture. I find the root cause to be a depression in the upper midrange and the lower bass, and the graph below corroborates this. This explains likely why instruments and voices, though full of definition and air, seem ever-so-slightly subdued and missing that last bit of grit and guttural fortitude. Hi-Fi+ and The Absolute Sound's retro review PLAYBACK 22: DENON AH-D5000 HEADPHONES call this type of sound the HD 800's subtractive error, and I concur.

Sennheiser_HD%20800_fr_impedance.png

I do not understand the comments about the Denons being U-shaped and lacking in midrange response. I have owned countless models of Beyerdynamic headphones (DT 990 Pro, DT 990 Premium 600-ohm, DT 860, and DT 880 Pro) and those are much more inclined to overshadow the midrange with excess treble and bass. Personally, the graphs below describe exactly how the Beyers sound: somewhat harsh and sometimes bassy.

Beyerdynamic_DT%20990%20PRO%20%20250%20ohm_fr_impedance.png

Beyerdynamic_DT%20990%20%20600%20ohm_fr_impedance.png

Beyerdynamic_DT%20880%20PRO%20250%20ohm_fr_impedance.png

Jun 9, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #4,860 of 5,248
Mhmm, I should have gotten them measured before I sold them off, but my LA D5k [Pads, inner cups dampened and Driver Mods] was crazy neutral with just a touch of added bass! So much so I sold it as it sounded... toooooo balanced! It was like a closed back HE 4, but without the speed or tactility

either way, if it's the only headphone you ever own. MOD IT, mine sounded wonderful! Though again, I didn't need a balanced closed back headphone, I needed something Fun [which the TH X00 Alpha Pad] does nicely 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back