Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Aug 11, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #4,636 of 5,248
  Oh boy, I'd be tempted if you'd ship to NZ :xf_eek:

BTW, which pads do you reckon you prefer for the D5000? Mine came with some modded stock pads but they're fairly deteriorated and a bit uncomfortable. I bought the Alpha pads which are super comfortable but I feel the distance between the driver and my ear degrades the sound somewhat - I prefer the way they sound with the stock pads... unsure if I can justify the cost of those Lawton pads, as tempting as they are. Might just need to find a new pair of stock pads (though the pads for the TH600/900 interest me)

Also need to figure a way to repair the headband so they don't look so untidy :frowning2:

I personally prefer the Lawton angle pads to anything I've tried.  Have the Stax 007 pads on my LA7000 which I'd say are equal to the Lawtons at a $60 premium.  Bought them to try on my HE-6 and then put them on the Denon. 

Aug 17, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #4,639 of 5,248
  Does anyone here know where I can buy a "hanger" (part) for my D5k? I got a small scratch on mine and it's driving me nuts. Absolutely pristine for 4 years and then bam, scratched. 

Hello,

You should contact your local distributor of Denon, usually they have technical services and can order the original parts for you. That's how I ordered original screws for the hanger of my D5000. :) 

Aug 17, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #4,640 of 5,248
  Help!!! My trusted Denon AH-D5000 starts to malfunction :-o The left side sometimes gives scratching noises and sometimes there is no sound at all. When I wrangle at the cable, the sound comes back. Did someone experience this too and how can you solve it??

Well, it's official. The problem has gotten worse :frowning2: Now 60% of the time, it doesn't work. I know chances are (very very) small but there is no one here from Belgium who can help me with this? 

Aug 17, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #4,641 of 5,248

Well, it's official. The problem has gotten worse :frowning2: Now 60% of the time, it doesn't work. I know chances are (very very) small but there is no one here from Belgium who can help me with this? 

I am pretty sure if you re-solder or re-cabled them they would work perfectly. 

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #4,644 of 5,248
Finally got my AH-D2000 up and running again after semi-retiring it in the closet for several years. I purchased these early in 2008 during college and they were EXPENSIVE at about $260 shipped. I fell in love with the sound immediately after going through so many sets of cans so they were worth every penny. A couple years after that they were discontinued and they started to develop a rattling sound with deep bass notes. I checked everywhere in cups / around the driver making sure nothing was stuck and causing the rattling noise to no avail. I couldn't afford to get them fixed so I retired them to sit on my desk and then into the closet for a few years ; I even started to search for a replacement driver for them occasionally. 

Fast-forward to 2015 and I purchased myself a set of Fostex TH-600 earlier this year and also have a TH-900 on the way from a Head-Fi member =) 

I decided to pull my D2000 out, clean them-up, and test the Beyerdynamic C-0NE headband I purchased for the TH-900 on it first in case it doesn't fit and cause some tears or something.... (It fits perfect and looks fantastic IMO) I had another go at trying to fix whatever was making that rattling noise so I took the driver under bright light. I noticed that the glue/residue that is holding the driver to the frame was detached slightly in one tiny spot. I took a flat-head screwdriver head and carved that tiny barely-visible speck off the driver. 

After 3-4 incidents of the hinges falling off, the original earpads as well as the headband material flaking and leaving black flakes all over my head, multiple drops from negligence, and many hours of usage; they are finally up and running again sounding better than they did when I first got them (burn-in duhh! 
wink.gif

I am very excited for the TH-900 coming, but right now I think I am more happy because my original D2000 are fixed. 

Cool Story Bro! 

Sep 20, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #4,645 of 5,248
so ive had my D2Ks for a good long while, with alpha dog pads and deeper wooden cups from Lohb (which i installed sometime beginning of may i think). these are my "recreational" set that give a club-like sound, i listen to electronical music mostly, anyway - the D2K do their job really really well.
now, admittedly, any headphone based spending will probably loose out to more urgent things, but i am playing around with the idea of damping them somehow. ive noticed that male voices, mostly on movies or series, can sound very unnatural with all that boom from the dennons.  

has anyone here tried damping his set "a little bit"? just to tame down the lows a tad? i dont want to go full on damping - these are my "fun" set you see?
anyone willing to share?

cheers
--------------------------------------------

fixing such a problem should be pretty easy for anyone even remotely connected to sound or electronics. now, im not Belgian so unfortunately i cant help you myself, but im sure youll be able to find some electronics shop or something that could do it for you. the type of shop youd go to to get a power supplier for a headphone amp, the type of shop technicians go to to get soldering equipment or electrical doo dads etc. - you know what i mean? the way you describe it, either the cable connected to the driver got loose, in which case you only need to open up the cups and re-solder, or the plug area is damaged somehow, which would mean cutting off a couple of inches, and soldering a new plug - both easy fixes. im sure you can find a place that will do it for you, and im willing to bet itll be inexpensive too. where would you go to get a toaster fixed? try that place.
i also think that you should get them fixed regardless of whether or not youre going to sell them. a "refurbished" set will probably sell for significantly more than a "broken" one - just my 2 cents 

I decided to pull my D2000 out, clean them-up, and test the Beyerdynamic C-0NE headband I purchased for the TH-900 on it first in case it doesn't fit and cause some tears or something.... (It fits perfect and looks fantastic IMO) I had another go at trying to fix whatever was making that rattling noise so I took the driver under bright light. I noticed that the glue/residue that is holding the driver to the frame was detached slightly in one tiny spot. I took a flat-head screwdriver head and carved that tiny barely-visible speck off the driver. 

i always enjoy stories of gear being given new life - its a really satisfying feeling when that poor old -piece of gear- finally works again isnt it?

btw, id glue that hole up somehow if i were you

Sep 20, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #4,646 of 5,248

Have you considered the Lawton damping?  Lohb's cups are gorgeous but I found the added depth (only got the medium deep cups on both my LA7000 and MD5000) so I lined the cups with Mark Lawton's recommended Dynamat and it solved the boominess. 

Sep 20, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #4,647 of 5,248

Have you considered the Lawton damping?  Lohb's cups are gorgeous but I found the added depth (only got the medium deep cups on both my LA7000 and MD5000) so I lined the cups with Mark Lawton's recommended Dynamat and it solved the boominess. 

correct me if im wrong, but the "Lawton damping" consists of damping both the cups, and the ,urm, bits around the driver (on the magnet i think). which would give the set a nice controlled and tight sound (or something like that).

im looking for a half measure, that would perhaps include only damping one of those, for a slight change.

i understand youve chosen to dampen only the cups and are happy with the result? im afraid the difference will be too great, which i know is a little foolish, but once you dampen, i understand its a little hard to take off, or impossible, depending on what you did.

also, im a poor student, with a very expensive hobby, its unlikely ill be able to justify spending as much as the mod kit from lawton costs, and im looking for a more DIY kind of solution - buying a sheet of damping material (which is pretty expensive as it is isnt it?) and cutting it out for myself.

would you mind explaining what you did?

Sep 20, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #4,648 of 5,248
  correct me if im wrong, but the "Lawton damping" consists of damping both the cups, and the ,urm, bits around the driver (on the magnet i think). which would give the set a nice controlled and tight sound (or something like that).

im looking for a half measure, that would perhaps include only damping one of those, for a slight change.

i understand youve chosen to dampen only the cups and are happy with the result? im afraid the difference will be too great, which i know is a little foolish, but once you dampen, i understand its a little hard to take off, or impossible, depending on what you did.

also, im a poor student, with a very expensive hobby, its unlikely ill be able to justify spending as much as the mod kit from lawton costs, and im looking for a more DIY kind of solution - buying a sheet of damping material (which is pretty expensive as it is isnt it?) and cutting it out for myself.

would you mind explaining what you did?

Well then just put less dampening material.

Or try vinyl dampening; the peel and stick kind. Vinyl is lighter weight, so not as effective compared to something like Dynamat. Also has the side benefit of being easier to take off than sticky rubber/tar based solutions like Dynamat. Probably cheaper as well. You can get some at parts-express i think.

Sep 20, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #4,649 of 5,248
  Well then just put less dampening material.

Or try vinyl dampening; the peel and stick kind. Vinyl is lighter weight, so not as effective compared to something like Dynamat. Also has the side benefit of being easier to take off than sticky rubber/tar based solutions like Dynamat. Probably cheaper as well. You can get some at parts-express i think.

sounds interesting, ill check it out - cheers

Sep 20, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #4,650 of 5,248
You won't get cheaper than pipe lagging.
It is a close substitute to silverstone foam except it is not as porous but scoring sandpaper over it would remove the shiny surface seal.
Silverstone better in small quantites,not expensive.

Also, if you don't want to go full on, you could experiment with shelf liner on the interior of the cup so you are getting 50/50 wood and damping material and not muffling the cups tonality so much,while breaking up the back-wave trying to get your subjective sweetspot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back