Denon D2000, D5000 & D7000 stock pad mod for wider sound stage
Jun 17, 2011 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

Dougeefresh

500+ Head-Fier
I did a little pad modding last week and thought I would share it. I got this idea from markl's mod.
I tried to "beef up" the pads by stuffing the polyfiber stuff that he used. I didn't like the fact that it was very difficult to make the fiber go in evenly around the circle while keeping the height and density of the stuffed area consistent. I ended up with lumpy fiber patches that were not even (this could be my OCD talking :). Also, I didn't like cutting up the plastic cup to just to keep the fiber in place.

So this is what I did:

• I went to a hobby store and bought a sheet of foam sheet for $0.60.
  • Removed plastic circular locking piece from the pad.
  • Used it to trace a ring on the foam sheet.
  • Cut it.
  • Glued two rings together (although I don't think gluing is necessary. I glued them to make sure no sound leaks through the two layers of foam.)
  • Put the foam into the pad.
  • Replaced the plastic locking piece over the foam.
  • Perfectly fitted and sealed pad enhancer!

I am not going to claim that this has made a noticeable bass/mid/treble improvements or reduced sound leak as I am honestly not able to tell the difference in the amount of certain freq.  before/after the mod.

What I did notice was the sound stage and general feel of music. It's now more spacious and airy, in a good way. I am really liking how wide the sound stage feels. I can also tell you that it didn't make anything worse in those depts.

It takes 10 minutes to do and completely reversible so try it if you're inclined and report back how you feel about it. I am sure there are people out there with more sensitive hearing that can pick out cons/pros better than me.

$0.60 foam pads from a hobby store cut into a ring shape

Sandwich two layers of the foam between the pad and the plastic adapter

It raises the pad height by about 3/8" effectively placing the driver that much further away from your ear

Final result. The pads are not wimpy anymore!

Jun 17, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #2 of 59
Way to go. There is always more than one way to DIY. Enjoy.

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #3 of 59
I did this mod tonight, only I used 3 sheets of 2mm craft foam, so it isn't quite as tall. You're right, it does increase/improve SS, and it isn't a subtle change either. It's a pretty damned big change of depth for the better, this is far superior to the fiberfill/cup rim mod. Also, it does increase bass response a bit and brings the mids just a touch forward, highs seem to be the same. I know these things happened, because I had to adjust my EQ afterward to compensate.

Kick-ass job, good stuff. :cool:

Feb 29, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 59

Quote:
I did this mod tonight, only I used 3 sheets of 2mm craft foam, so it isn't quite as tall. You're right, it does increase/improve SS, and it isn't a subtle change either. It's a pretty damned big change of depth for the better, this is far superior to the fiberfill/cup rim mod. Also, it does increase bass response a bit and brings the mids just a touch forward, highs seem to be the same. I know these things happened, because I had to adjust my EQ afterward to compensate.
Kick-ass job, good stuff.
cool.gif

Glad you like it. I haven't looked back after the mod
wink.gif

Feb 29, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #5 of 59
Wow, now I know what I'm trying tonight!

Tried it, and...wow. The balance doesn't seem too different (it seems to have more sparkly highs, and can be quite a bit more sibilant, nothing a small EQ change can't fix), slightly stronger clamp from the headband (which is nothing anyways), and I need to pop the volume up a notch or two. But the soundstage is impressive. It's finally completely detached from my head. Headphones always sounded like speakers next to your ears, the denons stock seem like speakers further away from your ears but still felt like they had some connection to you. With this mod, the sound sounds and feels completely disconnected. It's very impressive! I may try fiddling with the mod a tad, as I seem to have sibilance issues.

I did the same mod as Magick, 3 2mm dense foam sheets (same sheets).

EDIT: Got toooooo sibilant, brought it down to 1 2mm foam.

Mar 2, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #6 of 59
I have no access to foam sheets, or that i know of in France. Would anyone be willing to cut out the foam circular mod for me and send it to either me in France or my auntie in LA, USA?
Of course I'll pay for your help! :)

Thanks for the mod idea. I looked into Mark's one and wasn't too sure about the amount being equal nor the plastic ring...

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #9 of 59

Quote:
of course
The pads are the same - i suggest the ttle of the thread to be changed to Denon AH-D2000, D5000 & D7000 mod

Good idea. Done.

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #11 of 59

Quote:
cheers - good title :D

Would u be willing to help me out here for the foam pads?

You can't find foam pads in Paris? It seems like an overkill to ship two pieces of foam pads over Atlantic Ocean
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #12 of 59
Will mod my D7000 and  W1000x this weekend.

Thanks OP

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #13 of 59

Quote:

You can't find foam pads in Paris? It seems like an overkill to ship two pieces of foam pads over Atlantic Ocean
tongue_smile.gif

well no - you would be posting to LA, to my auntie there :)
As she is sending over quite a lot of stuff to me in around 1-2weeks :D!

Although, that said, I didn't find foam, but RUBBER circular pads:

(Haven't measured it out yet - will do so, and then go in and maybe buy a rubber pair)

Would you think rubber will do? lol

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #14 of 59
Which of thse headphones D2000, D500-, D7000 has the smoothest... Least exagerated treble? I had some D2000 but the treble was too much for me.... I am considering some D5000 or D7000 for a pair of closed cans.... Which of thise two has the best treble and how does it compare to the D2000?

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #15 of 59
You know you are not buying a ring of foam. You buy a SHEET of foam, take the white plastic adaptor out from the existing pad, trace the ring shaped outline then cut. You can buy the foam from an art supply store. Isn't Paris the city of art? :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back