Denon d2000, ATH-AD900, HD598?
Jul 27, 2011 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

h1a8

500+ Head-Fier
I have the denon d2000 and think they are great. But I’m looking for something with a larger soundstage with even better mids (more clear, detailed, transparent, and realistic).I don't really care about having less bass as I have good amps with good sources to cleanly boost the bass. I’m torn between the Sennheiser HD598 and the Audio Techinica ath-ad900. From what I’ve heard both have larger soundstages and are more clear/detailed/transparent in the mids but have less bass than the denon d2000. The HD598 has more bass and is a little more comfortable than the ad900 but its soundstage isn’t as large nor is it as detailed /transparent or as bright as the ad900.

If this is correct then explain

1. How much bigger the ad900s soundstage is is over the hd598 and in what ways (depth, width, or height)? If possible, can you rank the depth, height, and width on a scale of 1 to 10 in regards to the HD598, ad900, and denon d2000 or any two of the three phones (in case you haven’t heard all three).

2. How much better are the mids on the ad900 in comparison to the HD598 and how much better are the mids on the HD598 in comparison to the denon d2000 and in what ways? Please again rank the midranges from 1 to 10 in regards to these phones.

Many of you may suggest that the hd598 is probably the one to get (especially since I have good amps). But will this still be the case if I can achieve denon level bass and less brightness on the ad900 using very good sources and amps? Would the ad900 now be better than the hd598?

Jul 27, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 11
I havent heard both in as much detail as you require, BUT I can quite simply tell you the HD598 is the better one. It has a highly acclaimed midrange all around Head Fi, and a large soundstage, maybe not to the extent of the ad900, but still fantastic. IMO the ad900 sounds too thin, but that sort of sound might suit your musical preference.

Jul 27, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #3 of 11
The Denon is a good can, so here's what I think:

I loved my Ad500s when I had them. But didn't feel that they didn't replace anything so I got my money back

Here's why

I love my HD598
I wear them 4 hours a day minimum.
The highs are clear and crisp, the mids are warm and detailed, the bass in punchy and relentless. They almost sound like a balanced closed can, like my MDR-V6 with more highs, shorter bass (I like) and more mids
The soundstage is relative to the AD900 but more spacious and not as expansive. The AD900 makes you think everything is just thrown about. But the HD598 sorts and spaces everything accordingly.
The comfort between the two is two different world. The ad900 rests on your ears and around them. Comfy but annoying sometimes if your ears have problems like mine do. The HD598 floats around you ear and has a cavity where your ear stays in. The ear might touch the can, but it's not smashing into it.

Call up J&R to get the for $180 shipped, in the states. I did.

The HD558 is a black version and after a little tape removal, sound 95% as close to the HD598.

Jul 27, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
I must have some odd ears. I could never describe the denon's as lifeless. 

I can

I've tested, God, hundreds, probably thousands of headphones and Denon are pretty dull.
Some even duller then Senn.

But they are good and I wouldn't mind a pair as my portable

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #9 of 11
has anyone else found the d2000 to have a very unnatural sounding treble? 

Aug 3, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
has anyone else found the d2000 to have a very unnatural sounding treble? 

Unnatural? No. Slightly too bright and sparkly? Yes.

To the OP, I have both the D2000 and HD598. They go very well together! The HD598 has an excellent soundstage and great imaging. The mids are fantastic, especially compared to the D2000! That's not to say the D2000 has bad mids. It's just slightly too recessed. The bass doesn't extend as deep and isn't nearly as punchy, but the HD598 does sound very natural, smooth, and balanced. I also found the treble to be detailed without being as sparkly and bright as the D2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back