Denon at Headroom. Cool.
Apr 26, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #46 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume this has been asked elsewhere, but how big are the differences between the 2000 and the 5000?

Quite small. The D5000 sounds more refined in the upper frequencies but overall frequency balance is very similiar.

Apr 26, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #47 of 72
The differences seem small when used on a portable source but when you use a good home amp, the differences are quite large. The cable on the D5000 makes much more of an impact than the differences between wood and plastic earcups. They are low impedance cans, yes, and don't require much power to make them function.... but if you want them to work well you need to drive them with a good amount of clean current, way more than a portable amp or source will provide.

But also the materials used inside the housing are different. Denon also needs to adjust the earpads and fill them with more stuffing to place the drivers further from the ear -- which is why we do the mod.

Apr 27, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #48 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The differences seem small when used on a portable source but when you use a good home amp, the differences are quite large. The cable on the D5000 makes much more of an impact than the differences between wood and plastic earcups. They are low impedance cans, yes, and don't require much power to make them function.... but if you want them to work well you need to drive them with a good amount of clean current, way more than a portable amp or source will provide.

But also the materials used inside the housing are different. Denon also needs to adjust the earpads and fill them with more stuffing to place the drivers further from the ear -- which is why we do the mod.

So based on your assessment above, a recable on the 2000 should make them virtually identical, correct?

Apr 27, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #49 of 72
Quote:

So based on your assessment above, a recable on the 2000 should make them virtually identical, correct?

Virtually, yes. Realistically, no. I have never heard a recabled D2000 so I can't comment on it's sound quality, and I don't know of too many people who have recabled a D2000 that have listened to a D5000. But why would you spend the money to recable a D2000? Why not just buy the D5000 in the first place which will end up costing about the same or less and have a higher resale value than the recabled D2000? What I can say is that the wood cups on the D5000 yield a much more "natural" tone than the D2000. The D2000 has a more "analytical" studio-type sound. So in that respect, I don't feel a recabled D2000 will end up sounding like a D5000, since you're still without the wood cups. The D5000 has an excellent cable on it. To me, the decision is a no brainer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #50 of 72
Quote:

What I can say is that the wood cups on the D5000 yield a much more "natural" tone than the D2000. The D2000 has a more "analytical" studio-type sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Wouldn't adding Dynamat Xtreme or any other damping material while doing the markl mod make the "natural" tone of the wood all but disappear, since the damping material's primary function is to deaden any vibrations, reverberations or tones coming off of whatever it's applied to?

Apr 27, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #51 of 72
Quote:

Virtually, yes. Realistically, no. I have never heard a recabled D2000 so I can't comment on it's sound quality, and I don't know of too many people who have recabled a D2000 that have listened to a D5000.

Forgive me, but that makes the initial statement of limited value to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodpj
But why would you spend the money to recable a D2000? Why not just buy the D5000 in the first place which will end up costing about the same or less and have a higher resale value than the recabled D2000?

I can easily recable and balance them myself.

Quote:

What I can say is that the wood cups on the D5000 yield a much more "natural" tone than the D2000. The D2000 has a more "analytical" studio-type sound. So in that respect, I don't feel a recabled D2000 will end up sounding like a D5000, since you're still without the wood cups.

Thank you, this observation is much more helpful.

Quote:

To me, the decision is a no brainer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Me, too: Wait 'til CanJam and listen, listen, listen.

May 1, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #53 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by zmorris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't adding Dynamat Xtreme or any other damping material while doing the markl mod make the "natural" tone of the wood all but disappear, since the damping material's primary function is to deaden any vibrations, reverberations or tones coming off of whatever it's applied to?

Excellent observation, and that is why I refuse to add dampening to the D5000. They don't need it. (I tried experimenting with different materials and all they seemed to do was entirely deaden the bass.) All they need is extra cushioning in the pads to space the drivers further from your ears. For tonal and soundstaging adjustments beyond that, I just expand and contract the headband when necessary.

May 6, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #54 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*need * some *graphs*
wink.gif

Hi Guys-

We did get some graphs up on the DENON's-- only the 1001, 2000, and 5000 at the moment. You'll find you can compare them to each other but not to other headphones... our data points have changed and it will be a little while before everything is back up and running properly.

Products - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

enjoy!

May 9, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #58 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Headroom
smily_headphones1.gif

The Monkey: did you get to try the D2000 vs D5000 test at canjam? what were your impressions?

I did. Unfortunately, neither phone did it for me, with the exception of the 5000 out of the HR Maxxed stuff. Otherwise, just not my cup of tea. It is still good to see a new, quality entrant into the market.

May 9, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #59 of 72
Quote:

I did. Unfortunately, neither phone did it for me, with the exception of the 5000 out of the HR Maxxed stuff. Otherwise, just not my cup of tea. It is still good to see a new, quality entrant into the market.

Could you tell us what you liked/didn't like about either of them? Did you hear either of them in a balanced configuration? What other amps were they connected to besides the HR max?

I have a Desktop Balanced and I have been very much looking forward to hearing a D2000/5000 in balanced configuration - but your pessimism towards these cans is discouraging...

May 10, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #60 of 72
I'll post some impressions on the general headphone board when I get a chance. Also, my recommendation is to have a listen to these phones yourself if possible, as I seem to be in the minority in disliking them. If you can't get to a meet, one of the great things about HeadRoom is that you can try out the gear and return in as new condition w/in 30 days if you don't like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back