Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Feb 3, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #2,191 of 4,391
I wish I could hear this bass in the Z1R that many talk about. I tried the Z1R twice and I could not find this bass. Either I wasn’t driving them properly, I had a dud or the bass is highly dependent upon how the pads seal. Any advice?
It has bass but it doesnt hit hard. Its mids to treble sucked.

Feb 3, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #2,193 of 4,391
I wish I could hear this bass in the Z1R that many talk about. I tried the Z1R twice and I could not find this bass. Either I wasn’t driving them properly, I had a dud or the bass is highly dependent upon how the pads seal. Any advice?

It could also be the pairings. What are you using them with?

I didn't like the mids and treble when connecting them to my Chord Stack and the iBasso DX300, but the Z1Rs sounded like a dream paired with the Cayin N6ii with the AKM A01 audio card.

Deep low end, detailed mids and sparkly highs, it was an eye opener for me. :)

Also, now I have a 9200 on order from Thomann and I hope it'll get to me soon for comparisions!

Feb 4, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #2,194 of 4,391
That's odd, the difference should not be hat much. Z1R just cannot hit as hard as the D9200 from the various listening sessions that I had with both. I was pairing the Z1R with WM1Z and 9200 from my phone.

Feb 4, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #2,195 of 4,391
I've read about some issues with the Denon/Fostex/EMU Teak style headband extension mechanism failing over time. I guess the "teeth" that sort of click begin to dull and stop catching causing the headband not to hold it's position. In the past I had a TR-X00 Ebony (loved it) but sold it after about a year so I didn't have the time with it to know if the headband extension can become an issue. Do any 9200 owners here know of this possible issue and if Denon has any way beyond a 1 yr warranty to address it?

I've got 2 headphones in my sights and would like to pick one: Denon D9200 and MDR-Z1R. My highest end closed back is the ZMF Eikon which I adore but want a second option.

Feb 4, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #2,196 of 4,391
I've never head an issue with seal on the various MDR-Z1R units that I've tried. I have probably auditioned 4 or 5 different units since this headphone was released, including my own, and they have all had consonant performance levels, bass inclusive.

The MDR-Z1R doesn't have a traditionally heavy low end; it is a touch enhanced, yes, but the overall effect is one of grandeur, rather than an assault on your senses with sheer mid-bass punch. It has slower decay, but equally impressive texture. The speed, layering and dynamics on the MDR-Z1R are near-perfect, IMO. I enjoy it just as much as the AH-D9200's presentation, even though the both of them aren't like-for-like siblings in the overall sense.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #2,197 of 4,391
I was cleaning my headphones today and wiping the earcups with the Denon supplied cloth.
By the time I finished wiping the left cup it fell in my lap.
It popped back in quite easily but I have to say the D2000 and D5000 were a pain to remove.
This one clicks off with the lightest touch.

Feb 4, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #2,198 of 4,391
It could also be the pairings. What are you using them with?

I didn't like the mids and treble when connecting them to my Chord Stack and the iBasso DX300, but the Z1Rs sounded like a dream paired with the Cayin N6ii with the AKM A01 audio card.

Deep low end, detailed mids and sparkly highs, it was an eye opener for me. :)

Also, now I have a 9200 on order from Thomann and I hope it'll get to me soon for comparisions!
Your comparisons will be appreciated... But, if I have all your headphones, I would not have time (or maybe will go live in a desert island with some DAC and AMPs) to make all the comparisons... :wink:

I was cleaning my headphones today and wiping the earcups with the Denon supplied cloth.
It popped back in quite easily but I have to say the D2000 and D5000 were a pain to remove.
Same happened to me a few days ago. It was easy to put it again, the "synthetic leather" is more difficult to clean to the leather of the Z7 pads. When cleaning, the cloth gets stick with the 9200s pads.

Feb 4, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #2,199 of 4,391
I've read about some issues with the Denon/Fostex/EMU Teak style headband extension mechanism failing over time. I guess the "teeth" that sort of click begin to dull and stop catching causing the headband not to hold it's position. In the past I had a TR-X00 Ebony (loved it) but sold it after about a year so I didn't have the time with it to know if the headband extension can become an issue. Do any 9200 owners here know of this possible issue and if Denon has any way beyond a 1 yr warranty to address it?

I've got 2 headphones in my sights and would like to pick one: Denon D9200 and MDR-Z1R. My highest end closed back is the ZMF Eikon which I adore but want a second option.

The new Denon line has a different headband extension mechanism from the Fostex line and to me it feels a lot more secure.

Feb 6, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #2,200 of 4,391
These are excellent! Definitely not getting their fair share of exposure.

20210206_143428[1234].jpg

Feb 6, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #2,201 of 4,391
That's also my impression. I switched both pads from one side to the other (and turned by 180 degrees) and the fit was a bit better but these pads can be removed still too easy for my taste!

Feb 6, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #2,202 of 4,391
I like it a lot for what it is.
On balanced out it stands shoulder to shoulder with the Mojo and paired with the D9200.

There're tiny flaws with both.
On certain tracks i think the BTR5 (2.5 out) has a bit more slam/punch than the mojo and the other way around.
The Mojo has slightly better clarity, i'd say.

The sound of the BTR5, for such a small device, is great, nonetheless.

Only think to criticize is the battery on Ldac, imo.
But that depends on the connected headphone also. :)

The BTR5 is my work horse at work with my iems or PM-3.
At home i still prefer the Mojo or R28.
Though I usually don't commute with the Denons I want to throw another tiny but capable DAC into the thread: Qudelix 5k
Both balanced and unbalanced output, fully customizable with PEQ, all Bluetooth Codecs (using them for listening to movies and getting ldac from my Sony Soundbar).
App is the best I have seen for such a device.
Of course it cannot match either my Ibasso dx220 max or dx300 but it's still playing over its 100 bucks Imho

Feb 6, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #2,203 of 4,391
The timbre is so excellent, makes a lot of headphones which seem to be fine when listened to on their own sound a bit artificial in comparison.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #2,204 of 4,391
Hi everyone!

A new Denon AH-D9200 owner here.
Really liking them so far paired up with the RME ADI-2 DAC FS.
Sound is absolutely magnificent! 🎶

Only area for improvement would be if only they leaked a bit less sound/isolate a bit better.
Was deciding between Z1R, TH900 and these.
I didn’t want to be doing any EQ, mods and/or changing pads etc, so hope me choosing D9200 was the right move!
So far it seems (hears?) like it. 😛

I am actually writing with a question...for portable use, I have been eyeing the new Hiby R6 2020 DAP - would this be a good / “worthy” pairing?
Or should I aim for something higher-tier and/or different?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #2,205 of 4,391
Hi everyone!

A new Denon AH-D9200 owner here.
Really liking them so far paired up with the RME ADI-2 DAC FS.Sound is absolutely magnificent.

Only area for improvement would be only if they leaked a bit less sound/isolate a bit better.
Was deciding between Z1R, TH900 and these.
I didn’t want to be doing any EQ, mods and/or changing pads etc, so hope me choosing D9200 was the right move!
So far it seems (hears?) like it. 😛

I am actually writing with a question...for portable use, I have been eyeing the Hiby R6 2020 DAP - would this be a good / respectable pairing? Or should I aim for something higher-tier and/or different?

Cheers!
I am pairing the Denons with a DX220 Max.
But that's more desktop setup than portable 😉
The DX300 are Imho also very good pairing with a smoother tonality than DX220 max.
I haven't listened to Hiby players but as I understand that this lower R6 line as well as some IBasso DX160 etc will be more portable due to smaller size.
Due to the Denons low impedance you won't run into amplification shortcomings with any DAP.
Though as from my experience it scales with the source and reveals the individual characters. So at the end it's more a choice of tuning preference...
As far as I know my Ibasso DAPs are known for their very good holografic stage, other DAPs might have other tuning specialities.
Switching to balanced was a different world for me on the Ibassos, more direct, more dynamism, more headroom.
So far my cup of tea

Edit: besides SQ the GUI should at least be fluent enough to do the most basic things. In former DAP generations this has been an issue especially in the low tier models going as far as getting unusable for streaming apps.
Using their native OS mode for playing from SD card has been less of an issue.
Another fashion topic nowadays is MQA unfolding specs for e.g Tidal.
Latest Hibys can do full MQA unfolding, Ibasso DX300 at least 2 times...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back