Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Feb 3, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #2,176 of 4,391
Thanks for feedback.Considering trading my Be
Thanks for the feedback.I might be trading some beyer t5p 2nd gen for the quads.I read the headband only suits large heads?.
Mmh.
This really depends on your head size and shape.

But that's the wrong thread to discuss about. :wink:

Feb 3, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #2,177 of 4,391
You'll gain a better electrical circuitry with whatever house sound tuning they'll have.
But you'll be able to pair higher demanding headphones in the future. :)

For going balanced or not, don't bother with the D9200.
There's no benefit in doing so.
At least not by comparing it on the BTR5 with nearly identical cables (Pioneer SEM5 oem cables with same material and length), although the se out of the BTR5 is technically worse than the balanced out.

Even by comparing the BTR5 to my Mojo, while the Mojo sounds cleaner, there's not much to gain.

Maybe i'm insensitive to the little changes it might bring to the table.
I don't know. ^^

Then again the BTR5 costs about a fourth of what the Mojo costs.

How are you liking the BTR5? I am considering getting one, so I can go out and about with the AH-D9200.

Feb 3, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #2,178 of 4,391
Then again the BTR5 costs about a fourth of what the Mojo costs.

How are you liking the BTR5? I am considering getting one, so I can go out and about with the AH-D9200.
I like it a lot for what it is.
On balanced out it stands shoulder to shoulder with the Mojo and paired with the D9200.

There're tiny flaws with both.
On certain tracks i think the BTR5 (2.5 out) has a bit more slam/punch than the mojo and the other way around.
The Mojo has slightly better clarity, i'd say.

The sound of the BTR5, for such a small device, is great, nonetheless.

Only think to criticize is the battery on Ldac, imo.
But that depends on the connected headphone also. :)

The BTR5 is my work horse at work with my iems or PM-3.
At home i still prefer the Mojo or R28.

Feb 3, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #2,179 of 4,391
I like it a lot for what it is.
On balanced out it stands shoulder to shoulder with the Mojo and paired with the D9200.

There're tiny flaws with both.
On certain tracks i think the BTR5 (2.5 out) has a bit more slam/punch than the mojo and the other way around.
The Mojo has slightly better clarity, i'd say.

The sound of the BTR5, for such a small device, is great, nonetheless.

Only think to criticize is the battery on Ldac, imo.
But that depends on the connected headphone also. :)

The BTR5 is my work horse at work with my iems or PM-3.
At home i still prefer the Mojo or R28.
Portable I prefer the Romi portable amp. Neutral , detailed , powerful , 5 watts.

Feb 3, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #2,180 of 4,391
Portable I prefer the Romi portable amp. Neutral , detailed , powerful , 5 watts.
You're talking about the BX2?
Quite impressive, but it's just an amp, isn't it?

Feb 3, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #2,181 of 4,391
You're talking about the BX2?
Quite impressive, but it's just an amp, isn't it?
Yes and yeah , just an amp. You can use 4.4 , 3.5 , 2.5 connection.

Feb 3, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #2,182 of 4,391
It reminds me of the iFi iDSD Diablo without the dac/ class-a amp and, obviously, better style. :)

But on the power delivery, they're really similar.
Damn, quite expensive and unreasonable for my moblie needs. :see_no_evil: :smile:
What monsters do you want to drive with on the go? :ksc75smile:

Feb 3, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #2,183 of 4,391
It reminds me of the iFi iDSD Diablo without the dac/ class-a amp and, obviously, better style. :)

But on the power delivery, they're really similar.
Damn, quite expensive and unreasonable for my moblie needs. :see_no_evil: :smile:
What monsters do you want to drive with on the go? :ksc75smile:
Th900 and Final Audio D8000 Pro.

Feb 3, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #2,184 of 4,391
It's fascinating to read stories of folks who are happy (and willing) to bring their full-sized cans out and about. Ideally, I'd love to enjoy a full-sized experience on-the-go; however, I'm deathly afraid of damaging my cans - both physically and aesthetically - due to incidental knocks, and the like. Thus, I stick to IEMs for portable use.

Feb 3, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #2,185 of 4,391
My thoughts too. ^^
The headphones i'd use on the go are the PM-3 and the Pioneer iems.

Can't imagine to commute with a beast like the D8000 Pro nor with the D9200. :)

Feb 3, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #2,186 of 4,391
It's fascinating to read stories of folks who are happy (and willing) to bring their full-sized cans out and about. Ideally, I'd love to enjoy a full-sized experience on-the-go; however, I'm deathly afraid of damaging my cans - both physically and aesthetically - due to incidental knocks, and the like. Thus, I stick to IEMs for portable use.

Yeah, it's a bit scary in some regards. However, going on a walk with the AH-D9200 is awesome.

The wooden cups look irregular enough, and they look well enough built that I'm not too worried about physical damage. The main fear is water (from the sky mostly), and I've lost a Sony WH-1000XM2 to rain once. I'd never take a headphone like the MDR-Z1R outside, I'm too afraid of damaging something like the paper inside.

I know I'm going to need to deal with the loss of breaking one of them. But during this pandemic I really value going outside and good music, so I'm just going for it.

Feb 3, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #2,187 of 4,391
I also have headphones for when it's raining or I'm biking, those are Sennheiser HD4.50BT, not the best cans but built like a tank. A lot of the plastic has broken off by now since I really disregard their presence on my body or in my pockets whilst I lean on things, and they still shine.

Feb 3, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #2,188 of 4,391
My thoughts too. ^^
The headphones i'd use on the go are the PM-3 and the Pioneer iems.

Can't imagine to commute with a beast like the D8000 Pro nor with the D9200. :)
Im in Hong Kong , 8 million here , I use the 9200 , th900 on the go. 3 hrs each day for over 5 years.

Feb 3, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #2,189 of 4,391
Thanks for feedback.Considering trading my Be
Thanks for the feedback.I might be trading some beyer t5p 2nd gen for the quads.I read the headband only suits large heads?.
@gringod, this hobby is marvellous... Yesterday, after listened to "Nightwish", I tried to listen to "David Murray - Ballads for Bass Clarinet" (a jazz album that I trully love) and I couldn't stand it with the 9200s (maybe is my DAC/AMP, I don't know, but I find some music with them "shouty". For example, I listened to "Queen - A Night at the Opera" after that, and I trully love with the 9200s)... Ok, today I remembered that I trully love the David Murray's album with the Z7s you sold to me and now I'm enjoying a lot that album with the Sonys :smile:... What I said, what a wonderful hobby :L3000: Reminder: Don't sell the Z7s again.

Feb 3, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #2,190 of 4,391
Between the 2, I prefer the bass on the MDR-Z1R; it has equally good texture and layering, but it sounds bolder with a touch more potency, resulting in a grander, more involving presentation. For my genre of choice, EDM, the MDR-Z1R provides a stronger kick in the lows. The Sony has a timbre that is lusher and more fluid-sounding; as a result, vocals retain a level of gravitas and authority.

With that being said, the AH-D9200 beats the MDR-Z1R in overall balance and treble performance. It is also easier to distinguish micro-detail, dynamic changes and nuances on the Denon flagship.

It's a toss up between the 2, IMO. If you're going from one to the other, in the overall balance of things, I'd say that the consequence is more of an eventual side-grade than an outright upgrade. Nevertheless, if you're a fan of a cleaner, leaner sound, with good balance from top to bottom, whilst retaining an excellent bass section, the AH-D9200 can be viewed as an endgame.

I have compared the 2 headphones here.

I wish I could hear this bass in the Z1R that many talk about. I tried the Z1R twice and I could not find this bass. Either I wasn’t driving them properly, I had a dud or the bass is highly dependent upon how the pads seal. Any advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back