Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Jan 27, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #2,116 of 4,391
Thanks! That really helps. While I loved the Z1R for edm, I found that on some indie rock music, there was quite a veil on the recording. It’s like the music was drowned in a litre of syrup. I did love the Z1R but as I only plan on having 1 TOTL headphone, it just didn’t suffice as an all-rounder. Hoping the Denon is more agreeable to multiple genres.

Jan 27, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #2,117 of 4,391
Thanks! That really helps. While I loved the Z1R for edm, I found that on some indie rock music, there was quite a veil on the recording. It’s like the music was drowned in a litre of syrup. I did love the Z1R but as I only plan on having 1 TOTL headphone, it just didn’t suffice as an all-rounder. Hoping the Denon is more agreeable to multiple genres.

i listen from everything from blues to edm and everything in between. the Denon 9200 is hard to compare to other headphones, you can always find a headphone out there that exceeds it in any way. be it mids, bass, treble, soundstage, but what the 9200 does everything so well that nothing really stands out, but everything being excellent top tier well balanced (in a Japanese kind of way).

so the Denon 9200s are excellent i wouldn't trade them for anything. especially with my eclectic tastes and moods in music its a very good fit for me. now if someone was only listening to classical, or EDM, or Rap, or Jazz, you could probably find something more specialized, but the Denon 9200s are definitly a does everything amazing set of cans.

you could say a jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #2,118 of 4,391
i listen from everything from blues to edm and everything in between. the Denon 9200 is hard to compare to other headphones, you can always find a headphone out there that exceeds it in any way. be it mids, bass, treble, soundstage, but what the 9200 does everything so well that nothing really stands out, but everything being excellent top tier well balanced (in a Japanese kind of way).

so the Denon 9200s are excellent i wouldn't trade them for anything. especially with my eclectic tastes and moods in music its a very good fit for me. now if someone was only listening to classical, or EDM, or Rap, or Jazz, you could probably find something more specialized, but the Denon 9200s are definitly a does everything amazing set of cans.

you could say a jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one.

Thanks, that’s an awesome summary of it! These 6 months are going to go really slowly...

Jan 28, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #2,120 of 4,391
Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #2,121 of 4,391
Absolutely the best stand ..
Rooms Audio FS PRO

Great case is the DN8PRO-XL from Accessory House Global
Accessory House Global
DN8PRO-XL on Amazon.de

Yes.
The Room is by far the best, imo.
Just make sure you pick the smaller radius for the D9200, if possible.
Not that the bigger one isn't suitable, but the smaller one fits most headphones better, i'd say.

Thank you for heading up with the AHG website.

Have to dig deeper for some pads. :)

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #2,122 of 4,391

Indeed, the AH-D9200 is a genre-neutral master - it fares really well with a wide spectrum of music types.

The oft-used figure of speech - "Jack of all trades, master of none" - doesn't really apply to the AH-D9200, IMO. Whilst it is indeed great at myriad genres of music, the Denon actually excels in some of them, too. EDM, for instance, sounds absolutely fantastic with this headphone.

Jan 28, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #2,123 of 4,391
Indeed, the AH-D9200 is a genre-neutral master - it fares really well with a wide spectrum of music types.

The oft-used figure of speech - "Jack of all trades, master of none" - doesn't really apply to the AH-D9200, IMO. Whilst it is indeed great at myriad genres of music, the Denon actually excels in some of them, too. EDM, for instance, sounds absolutely fantastic with this headphone.

Would you have any preferences as the best allrounder between the VCs and the D9200?
You said that the D9200 excels at EDM.
What about the VCs?
If I was pairing them with the Hiby R8 only, which one would you recommend?
Same question with the R8 (or R6 2020) + Amp like Romi Audio BX2 plus ?

Jan 28, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #2,124 of 4,391
Would you have any preferences as the best allrounder between the VCs and the D9200?
What about the VCs?
The AH-D9200 has a more involving sound than the Vérité Closed, IMO, thanks to a treble section that is brighter, clearer, and more engaging. The ZMF flagship has a better midrange, though - it is teeming with luscious detail. Both headphones have truly excellent bass presentations; the Vérité Closed has a touch heavier mid-bass presence, but both are maestros at layering, separation and texture in the lower registers.

I have never heard the Hiby R8, so I can't recommend a DAP pairing.

With that being said, based on the innate abilities of either headphone, you should pick an option that excels in a genre that you listen to. For EDM, the Denon is the (slightly) better fit; however, I'd gravitate toward the Vérité Closed for vocal-oriented genres, thanks in large part to its immaculate ability at producing voices that are distinctly emotive and potent. Both are within touching distance of each other, so you are trading a few points across the board when you switch between the 2. Suffice it to say, if you own both, you're well set; if you own only 1 of them, it's no loss - you've got one of the best headphones around.

Jan 28, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #2,125 of 4,391
The AH-D9200 has a more involving sound than the Vérité Closed, IMO, thanks to a treble section that is brighter, clearer, and more engaging. The ZMF flagship has a better midrange, though - it is teeming with luscious detail. Both headphones have truly excellent bass presentations; the Vérité Closed has a touch heavier mid-bass presence, but both are maestros at layering, separation and texture in the lower registers.

With that being said, based on the innate abilities of either headphone, you should pick an option that excels in a genre that you listen to. For EDM, the Denon is the (slightly) better fit; however, I'd gravitate toward the Vérité Closed for vocal-oriented genres, thanks in large part to its immaculate ability at producing voices that are distinctly emotive and potent. Both are within touching distance of each other, so you are trading a few points across the board when you switch between the 2. Suffice it to say, if you own both, you're well set; if you own only 1 of them, it's no loss - you've got one of the best headphones around.

Thanks a lot for such a thorough reply 😊

Jan 28, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #2,126 of 4,391
What about the VCs?
I have the R8 + BX+ Plus pairing with D9200 plus few others in this thread, and it is just amazing!

Jan 29, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #2,127 of 4,391
This is my opinion as well. I generally prefer the warm, fuller sounds but the VC didn't really do it for me and I kept the Stellia over the VC. I now own the D9200 and have never looked back. It can also be driven well with any of the most recent DAPs.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #2,128 of 4,391

How would you compare D9200 and Klipsch HP-3 ? Which one is the more musical ?

Jan 29, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #2,129 of 4,391
How would you compare D9200 and Klipsch HP-3 ? Which one is the more musical ?
This is a tough one, since the HP-3 was ostensibly built to be musical and rich-sounding, as opposed to strict adherence to tonal and technical metrics.

The Klipsch has a full-bodied timbre; everything sounds lush and weighty. Bass is also impactful and strong, but not egregiously so - you will enjoy good thumping bass on this headphone. Like its low-end, the midrange is similarly thick and syrupy, producing vocals that are equal parts dense and compelling. Sadly, its treble region disappoints, thanks to harsh peaks that render a sibilant tone to its highs.

Nevertheless, the HP-3 is indeed "fun", as it eschews any notion of neutrality or balance. It's not here to assault your senses with absolute detail; rather, it's a rich and rounded experience that you will be enjoying.

In contrast, the AH-D9200 is more subdued in its presentation - it's leaner-sounding, with bass and treble sections that are tempered in quantity (but not quality). With that being said, the Denon still retains a musical flair.

Thus, to answer your question, prima facie, the HP-3 is the more musically-engaging headphone. However, the Denon's (positive) innate characteristics easily pull it ahead of the Klipsch in overall enjoyment - what you lose in sheer musicality, you gain in control over the higher frequencies, resulting in an almost-perfect blend of sparkle and detail, a good tonal balance, better resolution, and one of the best-textured lows in the headphone world.

Jan 29, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #2,130 of 4,391

I love your comparisons. When you published the "9200, Z1R and VC comparison", I thought: ok, 1088 € the Denons -you know, I finally got them for that price- + around 1600 € the Z1R = around 2500 € for the VC (or more here in Europe). That's another tag that I put in the comparison, the "value (price/performance)" because I think in all categories that you published the Z1R + 9200 best the VC, maybe not in the mid section (but both of them complement the same aspects that the VC shine on).

I think is a good way to "mind-discard" headphones and orientate your savings... Now I'm planning a Rögnir "mind-discard" strategy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back