Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Jan 9, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #2,086 of 4,382
According to an interview with Yoshi Fukushima during a visit to the Netherlands (published in Dutch on https://www.alpha-audio.nl/review/review-denon-ah-d9200-over-ear-hoofdtelefoon/ ), the two are distinctly different.. The D9200 driver has a much finer structure. This, combined with an improved suspension mechanism lead to a much faster driver that provides a faster response and a more detailed and refined sound. This was confirmed when using a stroboscope to measure the movement of the driver
If you take the pads off and compare the D7200 & D9200 driver they really do look indistinguishable. I took the drivers out of mine to compare and you can really notice a difference when you shine a light through them; The D7200 drive appears to have a crosshatch, woven structure to it, while the D9200's doesn't have this and appears thinner and finer - as Yoshi Fukushima said.

Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures - the only way I could take these was with my cheap usb endoscope - but I think you will see what I'm talking about.

This is the D7200 driver:
D7200 F BI.jpg

And this is the D9200:
D9200 F BI.jpg

You can also see a difference if you look at the back of the cone through the vents in the back of the driver.

This is the back of the D7200 cone. From here it actually looks like it has a woven substrate:
D7200 B FI.jpg

This is the back of the D9200 - No woven substrate. The surround also looks different:
D9200 B FI.jpg

-Mark.

Jan 10, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #2,087 of 4,382
If you take the pads off and compare the D7200 & D9200 driver they really do look indistinguishable. I took the drivers out of mine to compare and you can really notice a difference when you shine a light through them; The D7200 drive appears to have a crosshatch, woven structure to it, while the D9200's doesn't have this and appears thinner and finer - as Yoshi Fukushima said.

Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures - the only way I could take these was with my cheap usb endoscope - but I think you will see what I'm talking about.

This is the D7200 driver:

And this is the D9200:

You can also see a difference if you look at the back of the cone through the vents in the back of the driver.

This is the back of the D7200 cone. From here it actually looks like it has a woven substrate:

This is the back of the D9200 - No woven substrate. The surround also looks different:

-Mark.

Excellent post Mark!! 💪🏻🔥

Jan 10, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #2,088 of 4,382
The detail the D9200 provides is so impressive, didn't expect this from this kind of driver. The only negative thing so far is that they seem be allergic to EQ, at least my (rather conservative) attempts at this with the APO EQ resulted in a perceived clear loss of dynamics and detail. Good thing that EQ - at least for my taste - isn't really necessary. I have despite this little nuisance gradually fallen ever more in love with them. IMO what sums them up best is 'understated masterpiece'. They don't look spectacular at a glance and nothing about their sound signature screams immediately "I am special!" at you. However, the closer you look at them and the longer you listen to them the more you realize how well thought through and meticulously made they are.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #2,089 of 4,382
Anyone comment on how the D9200 compare to the fostex th900 mk2. I had the Foster, but it was very thin sounding.

Jan 11, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #2,090 of 4,382
Hi everyone,

Currently have the Sony MDR-Z1R and am obsessed with the design of these Denon headphones. Would like to add it to my collection.

Any updates on if a successor will be announced soon? Happy to wait a couple of years for a new on as this one is about 2.5 years old now. That’s usually not too long for a HP but it seems like Denon replaced the 7200 with the 9200 pretty quickly in 2018? Would appreciate any help.

Jan 11, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #2,091 of 4,382
it seems like Denon replaced the 7200 with the 9200 pretty quickly in 2018?

I don't think it was a replacement, the 9200 is in a different category and upmarket. They weren't replacing it, they were just adding a headphone higher up in the market.

Regardless, the AH-D9200 is an amazing headphone, even if it would be replaced.

Jan 11, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #2,093 of 4,382
Hi everyone,

Currently have the Sony MDR-Z1R and am obsessed with the design of these Denon headphones. Would like to add it to my collection.

Any updates on if a successor will be announced soon? Happy to wait a couple of years for a new on as this one is about 2.5 years old now. That’s usually not too long for a HP but it seems like Denon replaced the 7200 with the 9200 pretty quickly in 2018? Would appreciate any help.
I don't think that the AH-D9200 will be superseded any time soon; at least, not within the next 2 years. The trio of contemporary headphones mirror the original siblings, the Foster-produced AH-D2000, AH-D5000, and AH-D7000. Thus, I see the current 3 as an analogous reflection of the company's previous heritage.

Plus, in terms of headphones, a 2-3 year-old product is fairly middle-aged; thus, you'll probably be able to get a few years of enjoyment out of them before a successor arrives.

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #2,094 of 4,382
Plus, in terms of headphones, a 2-3 year-old product is fairly middle-aged; thus, you'll probably be able to get a few years of enjoyment out of them before a successor arrives.

And even when the sucessor arrives it will still be great headphone on its own, it seems to be rather unlikely that it will be improved upon by a big margin. Whereas it's much more probable that the price will be a quite a bit higher if one takes a look a typical TOTL pricing...

Jan 11, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #2,095 of 4,382
And even when the sucessor arrives it will still be great headphone on its own, it seems to be rather unlikely that it will be improved upon by a big margin. Whereas it's much more probable that the price will be a quite a bit higher if one takes a look a typical TOTL pricing...
I agree; the arrival of a new flagship doesn't invalidate the outgoing model in any way. You may hear some improvements, but they are, in all likelihood, closer to minor refinements, as opposed to an outright leap in quality. The TOTL spectrum is closer to a plateau than a mountain, IMO.

In any case, the AH-D9200 is an impressive specimen for a flagship. What makes it even more remarkable is its price - in an era of $3,000 flagships, one that costs just over half of that figure, yet manages to swim convincingly with the more expensive players, is a commendable feat.

Jan 11, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #2,096 of 4,382
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried the eikon suede pads with their d9200? I'm now currently on the fence between these and the awkts as my closed back TOTL endgame replacement of my ether c flow 1.1s (which are currently using the eikon suedes).

Jan 11, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #2,097 of 4,382
Just because a new TOTL release comes out, doesn't mean the previous TOTL release is no longer TOTL. It only means there is a new release.

Jan 11, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #2,098 of 4,382
Received my Rupert Neve RNHP today.. Can't wait to hook up my Denon AH-D9200 to them, the FiiO M15 serving as source via RCA Line-In

Jan 13, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #2,100 of 4,382
Hey, I'm curious: does the 9200 scale well with better amping or going balanced?
So I run a balanced cable and a transportable amp. The D9200 is an exceptional performer without an amp, but depending on the amp used it will improve. It scales less than some of the other HPs I have used, but there is a difference. You really need to test one "upgrade" without the other. Since I already wrote a review on the D9200, I just connected my cable and my amp for pleasure listening so I didn't really test them individually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back