Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #2,071 of 4,391
You are being out of line. Nobody is shilling for anybody here. You are taking this personal and trying to cause another discussion I really don't care for, and not we were discussing.
Good, then I will assume you will read the above posts and realize we were talking about what you can't see in a graph. The graph tells us limited info. Bye bye

Jan 3, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #2,072 of 4,391
No.
That's a misconception.

Bc you have 2 TS on the opposite side, which means 4 conductors.
So on a 4.4 TRRRS the sleeve is unused mostly while the others are wired.

Typical scheme is

T= left +
R1= left -
R2= right +
R3= right -
S = ground/ unused

Otherwise i misread your post, than i'm sorry. :)

that makes sense wire and plug wise,

but i thought something in the headphones had to flip the signal from one side of the left and right channels back in order to cancel out the noise?

Jan 4, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #2,073 of 4,391
Jan 4, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #2,074 of 4,391
I am new to head-fi and found this thread. Currently I own Ultrasone Edition 8 cans and I am searching for a nice second set of cans next to the Ultrasone. I would like to buy the Denon AH-D9200's, as I am impressed by all reviews and comments on this site, but I'm worried about the sound leakage I read about in a number of reviews. I want to use these cans while sitting next to another person and I don't want to bother her with my music. What are your experiences with sound leakage? Is it really something to worry about?

Jan 4, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #2,075 of 4,391
@Sjaak, I've personally haven't had any issues. Sure, they're not completely isolating but it is really not very much in my experience.

Jan 4, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #2,076 of 4,391
Can anyone here compare the 9200 with the Fostex TH900 mk2?
Had the TH900 a while back ago and now have the AH-D9200 but my gear changed. What i can say is that the TH900 seemed to have more and a bit deeper bass and a sharper treble. Also TH900's soundstage was bigger (very big for a closed back imo). TH900 was overall very thin sounding and didn't have much body.

AH-D9200 is more unspectacular with a more balanced sound. It has more weight and body than the TH900.

If you like neutral and balanced sounding stuff like monitors or the HD600 you maybe like the 9200 more. If you look for something with some more pronounced strength and weaknesses i think you like the TH900 more.

Jan 4, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #2,077 of 4,391
I am new to head-fi and found this thread. Currently I own Ultrasone Edition 8 cans and I am searching for a nice second set of cans next to the Ultrasone. I would like to buy the Denon AH-D9200's, as I am impressed by all reviews and comments on this site, but I'm worried about the sound leakage I read about in a number of reviews. I want to use these cans while sitting next to another person and I don't want to bother her with my music. What are your experiences with sound leakage? Is it really something to worry about?
A big tip if you're new to headfi: don't be too impressed by the comments that you found in a thread to a specific headphone on headfi. Usually it's a big fanboy meet and greet and everyone who says something negative about a headphone is automatically a persona non grata like crinacle a few sites before.

Headfi doesn't really work that way that people openly discuss about headphone in those specific threads but more that people who specifically like the headphone come together in those threads and exchange about it. So the people who dislike the headphone will most likely not participate and if they do they are not welcome.

This has nothing to do with the AH-D9200 but applies for all those threads here.

Jan 4, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #2,078 of 4,391
Had the TH900 a while back ago and now have the AH-D9200 but my gear changed. What i can say is that the TH900 seemed to have more and a bit deeper bass and a sharper treble. Also TH900's soundstage was bigger (very big for a closed back imo). TH900 was overall very thin sounding and didn't have much body.

AH-D9200 is more unspectacular with a more balanced sound. It has more weight and body than the TH900.

If you like neutral and balanced sounding stuff like monitors or the HD600 you maybe like the 9200 more. If you look for something with some more pronounced strength and weaknesses i think you like the TH900 more.

Thanks so much. How about the blue and white variants of the TH900? Thanks.

Jan 5, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #2,079 of 4,391
A big tip if you're new to headfi: don't be too impressed by the comments that you found in a thread to a specific headphone on headfi. Usually it's a big fanboy meet and greet and everyone who says something negative about a headphone is automatically a persona non grata like crinacle a few sites before.

Headfi doesn't really work that way that people openly discuss about headphone in those specific threads but more that people who specifically like the headphone come together in those threads and exchange about it. So the people who dislike the headphone will most likely not participate and if they do they are not welcome.

This has nothing to do with the AH-D9200 but applies for all those threads here.
Not for all the threads, but almost all... There are some generic threads more open to several headphones and experiences... Those threads are which I like most.

Also, in each specific headphones thread, you can find some bad experiencies from people (even some of them returned the headphones) who find those headphones not comfortable, say that they have to increase the volume to enjoy them (like I read in the DT 1990s Pro thread and after that I bought them and suffered it), the pads suffer decoloration (like Clears), there are clicks on music with powerful bass (like some people report with D8000 Pro or Clear), have treble issues and so on...

Truly, in this thread there are few people that dislike the 9200s... Some of them found them shouty (like I do with some of my really bad produced albums or some of them that tend to be shouty), other can't stand the treble or find them uncomfortable. They are a few, but, until the last months, these headphones have not been appreciated as they deserve (at least in this forum).

Now, I'm listening to "Metallica's Garage inc" with the 9200s and is incredible. Yesterday, I was surprised because I listened to some "Theatre of Tragedy" with them and I have never enjoyed properly their albums with any headphones I've tried and was amazing with the 9200s.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #2,080 of 4,391
I see some people wondering if they should upgrade from a dap to a desktop setup and in my opinion i'd not recommend that.

The D9200 is one of the easiest to drive and unpickiest headphone i've heard so far. On the other hand is doesn't scale that much.

If the D9200 isn't dap friendly then no headphone is.

I don't have a dap at the moment but i have a LG G8X which i consider around entry dap area.

I just did a comparison of the 9200, the HD600 and the Grado GS1000e. While the D9200 is independant from the source the HD600 and the Grado are not. The HD600 is a classic high scaling headphone which means it starts on average at best but for every part you improve in the chain the headphone jumps two levels. The Grado is a classic picky headphone that makes no sense whatsoever. On 3 systems it sounds like complete garbage and on the 4th it's suddenly the best you've ever heard.

The D9200 has only one condition to the source: it shouldn't have sibiliance. At least in my experience sibiliance is neither made by the dac nor the amp but more by a bad source like an untreated computer, an ipad or a phone connected via usb and by cheap interconnects. There are headphones that don't mind about this but the D9200 does. On the other hand in a complete system in one device like a dap or a streamer/dac/amp device i've never seen sibilance.

Comparing all three on the LG8X in high impedance mode the D9200 sounds sooo much better than the other two. The HD600 sounds flat, the Grado lifeless and harsh. The 9200 on the LG8X is a very good match and i think a sub 1k dap is the perfect match to get a really peak performance/price ratio.

On a very good desktop setup at least in my experience both the HD600 and the Grado can fly higher than the Denon.

The best desktop setup i had so far for the Denon was the NAD C658 which is a streamer/dac/amp. On this setup the Denon was really far above every headphone and i was short before calling it a day and regarding it as endgame. However the curiosity (and the fact that i've almost spent an unreasonably high amount in desktop setup parts that waited for me to be put together in the right way) won and i sent back the NAD. You see it still in my profile pic though.

I remember the NAD to be extremly clean sounding with a small soundstage. Thats what the Denon prefers. On my current setup which has a way larger soundstage the Denon just doesn't know what to do really.

So if you have a Dap and a D9200 and you like the combination: just enjoy that you maybe have the best bang for the buck solution the higher end of the headphone world has to offer and don't start to get lost in midrange desktop stacks which can make sense for some headphones but not for the Denon.

The strength of the Denon does not lie in its sheer sound quality or scalability. Its it's complete package of being easy to drive and unpicky about the source while being able to play every genre and having no weaknesses packed all together in a good looking and luxurious built closed back headphone. That's really unique in my experience in the headphone world.

The D9200 is like my favourite car, the Audi RS6. It takes 90% of the best of every car and puts it together in one. It will never match the lap times of a lamborghini, the luxuriousness of an S-Class and the family friendlyness of a Minivan though.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #2,081 of 4,391
Connecting the 9200 to a proper NAD DAC will surprise many.
I was smitten when I brought the 9200 home and gave it a run on my Home Setup.
In hindsight, I don't think I should have done that. It made me sad every time I would hook the 9200 to the Topping.
So I ended up buying the Focal Arche. Which sounds very similar to the NAD.

In my experience, Denon Amps, Yamaha, Onkyo and NAD share sound signatures at times.
This is the very reason why the 9200 works well on any of these amplifiers.
The Cambridge Audio and Naim combination does not pair as well as the above mentioned amps.
At the end of the day if you like how the 9200 sounds on Naim I won't hunt you down :).

Regarding the 'not picky of the source' I do not agree here. Does it forgive more? Yes but if you hook it up like you did to a proper AMP it will dissect any fault in the recording you play at the time.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #2,082 of 4,391
Connecting the 9200 to a proper NAD DAC will surprise many.
I was smitten when I brought the 9200 home and gave it a run on my Home Setup.
In hindsight, I don't think I should have done that. It made me sad every time I would hook the 9200 to the Topping.
So I ended up buying the Focal Arche. Which sounds very similar to the NAD.

In my experience, Denon Amps, Yamaha, Onkyo and NAD share sound signatures at times.
This is the very reason why the 9200 works well on any of these amplifiers.
The Cambridge Audio and Naim combination does not pair as well as the above mentioned amps.
At the end of the day if you like how the 9200 sounds on Naim I won't hunt you down :).

Regarding the 'not picky of the source' I do not agree here. Does it forgive more? Yes but if you hook it up like you did to a proper AMP it will dissect any fault in the recording you play at the time.
I used to own a set of D7200s, Chord mojo and M9xx DAC/amps. I was surprised at how much better the D7200s sounded with the M9xx than the mojo - Especially as people seemed to say how comparable the two were. Now I have D9200s and use them with a Topping DX7 Pro balanced. This combo sounds pretty amazing to me, so I'm not going to try them with anything else for fear of catching ungraditis again.

-Mark.

Jan 7, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #2,083 of 4,391

You're right, for the most part. But that's also due to the inherent nature of this hobby - fans of a certain sound will inevitably congregate and share like-minded experiences; on the flipside, people who detest or dislike a certain product will naturally stay away. Thus, the lion's share of discussions on forum threads for a certain brand or product belong exclusively to the enthusiasts.

The way I see it - and this is a general interpretation - if a certain device has a lot of devotees, and they are fervent in their support of said product, it is something worth exploring. This is especially true if the hype is sustained, and isn't just wanton zeal generated by a FOTM.

Outspoken critics like Crinacle et al also play a (big) part in the grand nature of things; their ability to succinctly offer conflicting, and at times, brutally honest opinions help to provide balance to the swing of public opinion.

Jan 8, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #2,084 of 4,391
You're right, for the most part. But that's also due to the inherent nature of this hobby - fans of a certain sound will inevitably congregate and share like-minded experiences; on the flipside, people who detest or dislike a certain product will naturally stay away. Thus, the lion's share of discussions on forum threads for a certain brand or product belong exclusively to the enthusiasts.

The way I see it - and this is a general interpretation - if a certain device has a lot of devotees, and they are fervent in their support of said product, it is something worth exploring. This is especially true if the hype is sustained, and isn't just wanton zeal generated by a FOTM.

Outspoken critics like Crinacle et al also play a (big) part in the grand nature of things; their ability to succinctly offer conflicting, and at times, brutally honest opinions help to provide balance to the swing of public opinion.

Agreed!

Jan 9, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #2,085 of 4,391
(quoted from the Z1R thread)
Roland, I can see in your signature that you have same headphones as me (although I also have the Senn HD 800)... Right now, I'm listening to the Z7s and although I like it's signature, I miss the 9200s (maybe "new toy sindrome" just 12 days with the 9200s). (sorry for the OT)
Compared to the D9200s, the Z7s sound very colored and hollow to me. I even did the tape mod on the Z7s to clean up the mids. Some soundtracks like the Bladerunner OST can still sound nice on the Z7s, since the low frequencies sound big and create a nice ambiance.

I've now bought the NW-ZX300, and from the SE output, the D9200 still sound great. Normally I drive them with my PHA-3AC, which is really good. I hope to get my 4.4mm balanced cable soon, so I can compare them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back