Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #1,951 of 4,391
I think the process to create just one is tedious. I am not certain with pandemic and production time they want a lot of volume. One other thing to realize is that this is just one tiny community worldwide, we don't really know the exposure they receiving outside of here.

I did not even attempt to request a review sample, the one I reviewed was a blind purchase, and it wasn't even going to be reviewed by me, but it inspired me to give it attention. My review is quickly climbing up the charts of my viewed reviews.

The surprising thing to me, was that this has been out so long and is only now really gaining momentum.

I think I read somewhere that they only have one person assembling them by hand. One of the denon's managers was making a comment about the 9200 because they changed the amp or some piece of testing hardware and didn't think to tell her and she reported production problems, they halted and discovered the amp or whatever it was got changed and she was just picking up the slight changes of the hardware.

Dec 18, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #1,952 of 4,391
A few months ago, when I first saw this post, there were no much movement here, but (maybe the world pandemic is partly to blame...) in the last months this thread has increased it's activity a lot.

I remember one post in a page near 100 when one guy said a funny thing: "maybe this thread is so quiet because all people who have the 9200 have lost interest in head-fi.org and don't come here after got the 9200", or something like that :smile:

I found the post I commented :relieved:

Funny... I came back after months of quarantine indifference!

Have to agree with that comment 100%...
After getting the 9200s, paired with SPKM and a nice Forza balanced cable, my thirst for new and better completely subsided, and instead I concentrated on actually enjoying music for a while!
The 9200s are that good... and a money saver as well, especially when compared to much costlier equipment. No contest whatsoever.

Now my only itch is a pair of Andromeda Golds... different type entirely, so let's see if I scratch that...

Dec 18, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #1,954 of 4,391
I think I read somewhere that they only have one person assembling them by hand. One of the denon's managers was making a comment about the 9200 because they changed the amp or some piece of testing hardware and didn't think to tell her and she reported production problems, they halted and discovered the amp or whatever it was got changed and she was just picking up the slight changes of the hardware.
Yes, it was here:
(Very interesting for 9200' lovers, I liked a lot to read it)
Maybe this has been posted already. it’s an very interesting view on the development process of the AH-D9200.

https://translate.google.com/transl...v.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/topic/1147497.html

Dec 18, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #1,955 of 4,391
A short summary post (again), between my D7200, D9200 and TH900...
Comparing the D9200 vs D7200 driver-to-driver in the same enclosure, the D9200 driver seems better resolving (in the bass, in the mids and in the treble).
The D7200 driver can create more bass pressure around 50 Hz, but the D9200 goes deeper and flatter.
Less bloom than D7200 and much less bloom than TH900, but the D9200 driver is [one of] the most accurate dynamic driver I have ever heard.
Besides, the D9200 is far more resilient vs pad changes, you can try more pads and all of them will sound good, unlike with the D7200 which is more problematic.

The D7200 is an incredible price/performance headphone. It sounds best with its own modified pads. If old enough, no cup mods are needed (midrange forwardness goes away with time). Recommended for people who want calmer treble than the D9200 has and don't want to invest in D9200 cables. It's one of the most linear dynamic headphones I've seen. You are best off with a 2+ years old good second hand pair.

I modded the TH900 extensively, made it much better, but could not change its sonic character or make it considerably more linear. But it has tremendous bass energy, huge sound stage and it's my movie/games headphone. Sounds more explosive sound than D9200, still quite V or W shaped sound. Sounds best with the modded Stax 009 pads mounted directly on the housing with adhesive tape.

The D9200 also sounds best with the modded Stax 009 pads mounted directly on the housing (no mounting rings). If thin/shallow pads don't work for you, try the same mod on the Stax 007 pads, they have same type, but thicker foam inside. If the stock pads would be softer and had bigger internal diameter, would probably be the perfect pads for the D9200. The modded D9200 goes deeper and more flat than the TH900, its bass peak is more like between 25-30 Hz vs the TH900 bass has most energy around 40-60 Hz.

IMHO the D9200 treble tendency (which is more like a Japanese preference than a flaw) is only accentuated by its cable, and it sounds far better with the D7200 cable (and vice versa). I recommend soft pull solid core (~0.3 mm strands) pure copper cables with the D9200, but YMMV. Solid silver might work with some makes, but stay away from silver plated copper, as it's not the best of the both worlds, but the worst of both worlds IMHO (at least in this case). I don't doubt there are worse copper cables still, but it's much easier to make copper right.

This is really interesting - when you swapped the drivers between enclosures, did you notice much difference due to the enclosure? I'm wondering if you listened to a D7200 with a D9200 driver in it and, if so, whether it sounded much different to a 'pure' D9200?

Many thanks,

Mark.

Dec 18, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #1,956 of 4,391
I've been listening to my HE-6 driven well enough to get good bass expression, and realized that it's bass is expressed similarly to D9200 (Probably with D9200 more quantity and HE-6 with more hardness to it, but within similar ballpark) Very visceral bass with much expression. The difference between the two headphone is obviously much better imaging on the HE-6 due to being openback planar, and D9200 is easily driven by portables. And HE-6 out of speaker taps. lol

I like bass on both. D9200 bass is quite fun, which was the savior for me.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #1,957 of 4,391
Well yes the 9200 is by far the best closed back i've heard. I compared it with only open backs as i usually prefer open backs and in the bunch of open back headphones it has a really hard time to win through. But compared with other closed backs it's not even a competition.
I think this post is really spot on. The D9200 is an excellent sounding headphone but is a closed back one and people who likes or only listen to open back headphones take all the hype with reserve And take note this is just a closed back headphone (one of the very best) so there are some areas of SQ where it can’t compete against “just good” open back ones.

Dec 18, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #1,958 of 4,391
I think this post is really spot on. The D9200 is an excellent sounding headphone but is a closed back one and people who likes or only listen to open back headphones take all the hype with reserve And take note this is just a closed back headphone (one of the very best) so there are some areas of SQ where it can’t compete against “just good” open back ones.
Imaging, but Stellia does better imaging. It maybe do certain things well, but 'best' is a stretch.

Dec 19, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #1,960 of 4,391
when you swapped the drivers between enclosures, did you notice much difference due to the enclosure? I'm wondering if you listened to a D7200 with a D9200 driver in it and, if so, whether it sounded much different to a 'pure' D9200?

Good question, I did, but memories have faded (I don't even have time to look up my own previous posts on that, but I might have mentioned something, please check).
IIRC the D9200 wooden cups were less resonant in the mids (also shown in measurements). My experience so far with various woods for cups is contrary to mainstream: IME lighter woods but with good structure sound better (more musical, more lively) than heavier woods. Walnut is pretty good, though.

I might want to actually try that again, I got interested myself, since funnily enough, the D9200 sounds better with the D7200 cables and vice versa.
Time to check the cups, too. :) I also want to measure them in all combinations, including the stock and other ear pads.

Right now I am very busy with work and end of year stuff, but when I find a quiet 3 hours to do this, I will do it, during one of the nights, probably, maybe this year :).
[ In the end, I will likely keep only one closed headphone, so two of my fine-tuned D9200, D7200, TH900 need to go, together with other stuff I don't use nowadays because office is at home. Maybe this test will help me figure out which.]

Dec 19, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #1,961 of 4,391
Imaging, but Stellia does better imaging. It maybe do certain things well, but 'best' is a stretch.

Both my D7200 (with its own modded pads) and D9200 (with Stax 009 pads) had bigger, higher and deeper image than the Stellia.
Though I admit the Stellia imaging is quite accurate, if not big (from Hugo 2). And it sounds better than the Utopia to my ears, or preference, but still too hard sounding to consider. In comparison with the more relaxed, slammy and incredibly sweet sounding modded D9200, they sound rather teutonic, though the Utopia is even more so. However, I haven't heard Focals latest amp/DAC, the Arche, maybe together they sound fine.

Dec 20, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #1,963 of 4,391
Hi guys, can someone help me? I recently bought a Burson Solist 3XP, but I don't know which gain to use with a Denon AH-D9200 headphones. What do you recommend?
The Soloist 3XP tends to pickup noise on very sensitive headphones on medium and high gain, so does it on my D9200, Elegia and E-MU Teak. If you can use low gain and perceive loud enough listening volume, I would go with low gain on your D9200. I have volume set around 80 on low gain with the mentioned headphones and still got enough headroom left. This is the only real downside of the Soloist 3XP so far.

Dec 20, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #1,964 of 4,391
Hi guys, can someone help me? I recently bought a Burson Solist 3XP, but I don't know which gain to use with a Denon AH-D9200 headphones. What do you recommend?

In general its best to use the lowest gain setting that gives you enough listening volume with at volume setting around 75%: that will keep amp noise down and dynamics intact. I don't know this specific amp, but The D9200 is rather sensitive, so I guess you might want to try the lowest gain setting first.

Dec 20, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #1,965 of 4,391
So much activity in this thread in my absence.
I ain't complaining as this thread needs to be number one across the nation.
I hope everyone is safe and getting ready for the holidays ... in one way or another.

My Sunday was very productive.
Been having a nice audio session with the Topping to tune in my head with the OEM sound.
Little did I know I will hit a snag.
I could not fit some Burson amps in my Topping set-up :frowning2:.
They are humongous.
I am liaising now with Burson to see how we proceed.

The Arche is court side seats at a Bull's game with Jordan in his prime.
The Topping set-up is several rows higher with a good view but you miss the small details because people in front of you block your view every now and then.

...but I do appreciate my Topping even with the slight artificial sound at times.
If anyone wants to buy it off me let me know. I am not sure I need this anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_5767.jpg
    IMG_5767.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5770.jpg
    IMG_5770.jpg
    933 KB · Views: 0
  • Topping.jpg
    Topping.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back