Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
May 6, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #1,201 of 4,382
Just got my D9200. First impressions compared to my beloved D7200 that I own since it was released: it's bright but not to the extent of being sibilant. The subbass amount is a little bit less than on D7200, however it's more controlled, has more texture. The overall sound signature is more refined, more detailed, more neutral and audiophile that does not necessarily always translate into more fun, especially with electronic music like techno and IDM. I have to adapt to the extended treble that reminds me of some Beyerdynamic headphones. Burning them in to tame the treble even if I don't believe in burn-in as I have never experienced any changes in the character of sound after using headphones for a prolonged period of time. Using them with Questyle QP1R on the go and Audiolab Q-DAC at home (Tidal and FLAC downloads). The cable is from Forza Audio.

Interesting. I could understand when people say bright to mean 9-10k treble that really doesn't bother me as the 'sibilant' zone of 6-8k, but it's brighness doesn't seem bother-some to cause harshness or anything. Same opinion for Focal Clear for me although not similar sounding.

Perhaps how bothersome 9-10k depends on the driver type/materials?

I suspect the sibilant area is subdued a bit.

Some people say D7200 is rolled-off, and others say D9200 is bright.

I guess you mean the D9200 is dryer sounding than the D7200. For EDM, I prefer dry as it creates sounds to seem more distinct, but I think the problem with closed-backs is limitations on separation due to spatial limitations and lack of much airiness. Spatialness and airy characteristics, like for example of HD800 really does help. I guess it's preference, but I prefer D9200 sound dryer. It gives the impression of better resolve.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #1,202 of 4,382
Interesting. I could understand when people say bright to mean 9-10k treble that really doesn't bother me as the 'sibilant' zone of 6-8k, but it's brighness doesn't seem bother-some to cause harshness or anything. Same opinion for Focal Clear for me although not similar sounding.

Perhaps how bothersome 9-10k depends on the driver type/materials?

I suspect the sibilant area is subdued a bit.

Some people say D7200 is rolled-off, and others say D9200 is bright.

I guess you mean the D9200 is dryer sounding than the D7200. For EDM, I prefer dry as it creates sounds to seem more distinct, but I think the problem with closed-backs is limitations on separation due to spatial limitations and lack of much airiness. Spatialness and airy characteristics, like for example of HD800 really does help. I guess it's preference, but I prefer D9200 sound dryer. It gives the impression of better resolve.

All the comparisons I made were against 7200. I personally find treble of 7200 very balanced. The 7200 ocassionally suffers from congestion and its bass can be overpowering time after time but it's still a very capable headphone, especially for its price.

I wouldn't call the 9200 dry, it just delivers a bit less body with some particular kind of music compared to 7200. In any case the 9200 is more resolving and reference kind of headphone than the 7200 at the expense of some oomph. I just hope I can get used to the enthusiastic treble.

May 6, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #1,203 of 4,382
All the comparisons I made were against 7200. I personally find treble of 7200 very balanced. The 7200 ocassionally suffers from congestion and its bass can be overpowering time after time but it's still a very capable headphone, especially for its price.

I wouldn't call the 9200 dry, it just delivers a bit less body with some particular kind of music compared to 7200. In any case the 9200 is more resolving and reference kind of headphone than the 7200 at the expense of some oomph. I just hope I can get used to the enthusiastic treble.
What's really interesting is that D9200 was the headphone that actually output differences I could tell how much dryer Apple Mac's device output through USB was compared to Window's PC's. It was really odd (because digital outputs should all sound the same right?), but I could easily tell with D9200, and preferred the dryer response from the Mac, but with other headphones, I prefer Windows PC outputs (seems warmer and thicker as Macs seem leaner and dryer). I don't know what it is making the different from the two different computer systems, but it's obvious enough for me.

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #1,204 of 4,382
Anybody have any tubes that they enjoy with the 9200's? Picked up a project ember and am trying to find a tube that does something to these. The three that I have right now I barely notice any difference on these headphones. I guess to some that would be ideal, but I really entered the tube game to try to **** with the sound.

May 9, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #1,205 of 4,382
Anybody have any tubes that they enjoy with the 9200's? Picked up a project ember and am trying to find a tube that does something to these. The three that I have right now I barely notice any difference on these headphones. I guess to some that would be ideal, but I really entered the tube game to try to **** with the sound.
i have 2 auris eutrepe, one i am using at home and one i bought for office, i am selling the one for the office never been used only opened it to see inside, now i am working from home that is only why i am selling the one bought for the office

one of the best tubes period , it does wonders to denon and i agree to everything that is said below, and boy the denon loves eutrepe

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #1,206 of 4,382
Some headphones react better to tubes, others to solid-states. I find D9200 sounds best out of solid-states. Not difficult to drive either.

My preference is to make D9200 dry sounding to get more resolve because when a little wet, sounds becomes too less distinct and it's technicalities doesn't seem as impressive. This is why I prefer soli-state and not tubes. TH900 benefits from tubes in comparison.

The impedance is low, so make sure the tube amp has low impedance as well. I think BH sex would work as it has 4 ohm output impedance.

Tube amps in general are hit or miss, causes sounds to blend, although there are rare ones that separate sounds well. Like BH Mainline for example I dislike due to blended sound and lack of power for being their flagship model with the most expensive price.

Headphones that really benefits from tubes are Sennheisers.

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #1,207 of 4,382
Important update.
I followed @zolkis tutorial,buy a pair 009 earpads and remove the White Rings.
Today the pads arrived,after finish work i tried my denon.
Is simply another headphone.
I start to say that the soundstage become really impressive,equal to hd820 (ex owner).
High frequencies become simply much Better,more definied but the excessive sharpness is totally gone.
The middle frequencies are slightly recessed, but are even more natural than before and the listening experience result less fatiguing,but the punch Is always here.
Bass frequencies are spectacular,more choerent in sound timbre in general.
The reverberation of instruments and voices has improved dramatically,these headphone simply sound totaly Amazing.
sounde more organic and natural,microdetail improved....really i'm speechless.
I know,for 180.00 € a earpads pair aren't cheap,but of you want a closed headphone better than utopia (logically IMHO) with 820 soundstage you MUST buy these pads.
Amazing.
amazing
I take this opportunity to thank so much @zolkis and for his patience.
fantastic mod.

Attachments

• IMG_20200509_181557.jpg
    9.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200509_143144.jpg
    9.9 MB · Views: 0
May 9, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #1,208 of 4,382
Congrats for the courage and for taking the risk!
It seems we perceive the same differences.

Let me say again, the D9200 with the modded 009 pads is very close to and almost on par with the best e-stats (e.g. Phenomenon Libratum V3, Stax SR-Omega, 009, 007 Mk1, Lambda Sig, SRX Pro Mk3, Sennheiser Orpheus 1 and 2), of course beating them in sub-bass slam :). The best e-stats sound even more fluid and natural, though.

The difference to the e-stats is that the D9200 will produce that sound from a good DAP already, not needing a full system to work.
Of course it does scale with good desktop amps, but it's an amazing value today.

The best movie headphones are still my modded TH900, but that doesn't subtract from the value of the D9200 for music :).
The modded D9200 IMHO is better than the Sony R10, both versions, therefore the best closed dynamic headphones in my experience.
Now that I think it actually beats even the open headphones, too.
The Utopia measures better and is built like a Royce, but the Denon is more musical, with better clean bass and has much better sound stage.

May 13, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #1,210 of 4,382
May 13, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #1,211 of 4,382
Congrats for the courage and for taking the risk!
It seems we perceive the same differences.

Let me say again, the D9200 with the modded 009 pads is very close to and almost on par with the best e-stats (e.g. Phenomenon Libratum V3, Stax SR-Omega, 009, 007 Mk1, Lambda Sig, SRX Pro Mk3, Sennheiser Orpheus 1 and 2), of course beating them in sub-bass slam :). The best e-stats sound even more fluid and natural, though.

The difference to the e-stats is that the D9200 will produce that sound from a good DAP already, not needing a full system to work.
Of course it does scale with good desktop amps, but it's an amazing value today.

The best movie headphones are still my modded TH900, but that doesn't subtract from the value of the D9200 for music :).
The modded D9200 IMHO is better than the Sony R10, both versions, therefore the best closed dynamic headphones in my experience.
Now that I think it actually beats even the open headphones, too.
The Utopia measures better and is built like a Royce, but the Denon is more musical, with better clean bass and has much better sound stage.
Nice mod.
I guess, it is due to the wider inner circle of the pad openings?
For me, that's the main reason i didn't bought the Denons in the past.
With the 009 pads, the auricles has a lot more air to breathe and the outer ears receives more of the sound waves.

Looks good. Great job. :o2smile:

The pads of the Monitor 5 could do this job as well, i guess. :)

May 13, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #1,212 of 4,382
I really wanted to like the 9200 however ultimately ended up returning the headphone to seller. Most of the user feedback and reviews of the 9200 suggested that it's a refinded version of the 7200, but after a closer encounter with the 9200 I realized that it had a completely different sound signature. The main reason I sent it back is its lack of lower end punch and its brightness: music just had not enough body for me sounding somehow lifeless and the hot treble attracted attention to itself too much. Back to my beloved 7200 and happy again. Enjoy the music!

May 13, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #1,213 of 4,382
I really wanted to like the 9200 however ultimately ended up returning the headphone to seller. Most of the user feedback and reviews of the 9200 suggested that it's a refinded version of the 7200, but after a closer encounter with the 9200 I realized that it had a completely different sound signature. The main reason I sent it back is its lack of lower end punch and its brightness: music just had not enough body for me sounding somehow lifeless and the hot treble attracted attention to itself too much. Back to my beloved 7200 and happy again. Enjoy the music!
Well , enjoy what you had. Bye and have fun.

May 13, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #1,215 of 4,382

Users who are viewing this thread

Back