Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Dec 13, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #721 of 4,390
Ah, it's just sharing enthusiasm, I'd say. And comparisons for information. I like Kennerton headphones a lot too (own four pairs), and some of us feel they are one of those "best-kept secret" kind of headphone companies (being from Russia probably doesn't help on that front). Not perfect, of course, but they offer a level of quality and craftsmanship that is pretty special, from my perspective at least. But anyway, yes-- Denon! I'm still loving both my recently acquired 9200 and 7200. (And I'm still keeping my 7000). I'm actually also interested in acquiring the Sony MDR Z1R, just because I like to have some different flavours.

Speaking of, anybody have thoughts about the Audio Technica ATH-W3000ANV (a.k.a. "Japan")? I used to have a pair and liked them a lot-- often went back and forth between them and the D7000. I would still be enjoying them, but sadly they were part of collateral damage of my divorce. Still likely held hostage at my ex's. Maybe time for a SWAT team rescue...

Dec 13, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #723 of 4,390
...So my unconditional recommendation is the D9200, followed by a time consuming mod of the D7200 (check its thread for the mods, note that I am not modding for others for lack of time), followed by a peculiar mod of the TH900. If you go higher in price, the Focal Stellia is very good and does not need any mods, but I prefer the D9200.

Thank you (and the others who responded to my post) for the feedback!
Just put up an order for a D9200 as my 6th attempt to replace my X00 (after the LCD-X, DT1770 Pro, DT1990 Pro, Eikon and Atticus). Here's hoping! ^^

Dec 14, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #724 of 4,390
W3000ANV is the best closed-back I have ever heard, to my taste it’s better than D7200/TH900. Not sure about D9200, they are superb technically, but too bright sounding even for me. LCD-XC are interesting too, but way too heavy.

I agree the D9200 could be perceived as bright, as there is some excess energy around 9 kHz, but not as much as the TH900. This has been discussed here, though not lately. I should have mentioned that my "unconditional" D9200 recommendation has a condition :) (maybe more): it's best for 40+ or 50+ guys :).

I also agree the W3000ANV is very good. I love the lightness and comfort, and I can imagine combinations of musical genres and personal preferences that would just prefer it over others. There is no one-takes-all headphone (yet), which is a good thing, since it keeps the industry alive :).

Dec 14, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #725 of 4,390
I agree the D9200 could be perceived as bright, as there is some excess energy around 9 kHz, but not as much as the TH900.

I didn't find TH600/TH900 bright, but I listened to Fostex with my home gear and Denons with shop's Cayin stack. I guess my gear is just much smoother by itself.

Dec 14, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #726 of 4,390
I agree the D9200 could be perceived as bright, as there is some excess energy around 9 kHz, but not as much as the TH900. This has been discussed here, though not lately. I should have mentioned that my "unconditional" D9200 recommendation has a condition :) (maybe more): it's best for 40+ or 50+ guys :).

FWIW, aside from more specific hearing damage, most older men hear just fine up to well above 12k where most headphones and even many microphones start rolling off, so if a headphone has a peak below that, it will generally be heard by anyone with "normal" hearing, even what is normal for an middle aged man in the 50s, let alone 40s.

Dec 14, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #727 of 4,390
W3000ANV is the best closed-back I have ever heard, to my taste it’s better than D7200/TH900. Not sure about D9200, they are superb technically, but too bright sounding even for me. LCD-XC are interesting too, but way too heavy.

That could cause me to lose a litte interest in 9200, or is w3000ANV less bright than most other A-Ts? I have AP2000TI atm and its not overly bright for my preference but still crosses that line occasionally, more relaxed than m70x though and what I remember of ad5000x brief demo.

Dec 14, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #728 of 4,390
That could cause me to lose a litte interest in 9200, or is w3000ANV less bright than most other A-Ts? I have AP2000TI atm and its not overly bright for my preference but still crosses that line occasionally, more relaxed than m70x though and what I remember of ad5000x brief demo.

My W3000ANVs are not quite in stock form now (dekoni hybrid pads and furutech cable), but I’m hearing both w3000anv and adx5000 (which I own too) as “just right”, not overly bright or dark. But everyone hears differently :) I don’t hear th900 or hd800 as bright too.

I haven’t heard other ATs so I can’t compare, sorry. All I can say that my friend who owns W5000 says that w3000 are less bright. Again, with my home gear only insanely bright headphones like Ultrasone edition10

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #729 of 4,390
The W3000ANV is the most refined of the AT headphones I've owned (or heard). But all are rather bright to my ears. Just that the W3000ANV, while bright, isn't 'spikey.' A curious tuning-- a bit W shaped? But wonderful tonality, really immersive. (BTW, I'm someone who thinks the TH900 is way too bright). I liked the 'Japan's' a lot. They look gorgeous, and feel great too. Overall though, I'd still say the Denon 9200 is the better, more even headphone.

Dec 14, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #730 of 4,390
My W3000ANVs are not quite in stock form now (dekoni hybrid pads and furutech cable), but I’m hearing both w3000anv and adx5000 (which I own too) as “just right”, not overly bright or dark. But everyone hears differently :) I don’t hear th900 or hd800 as bright too.

I haven’t heard other ATs so I can’t compare, sorry. All I can say that my friend who owns W5000 says that w3000 are less bright. Again, with my home gear only insanely bright headphones like Ultrasone edition10

The W3000ANV is the most refined of the AT headphones I've owned (or heard). But all are rather bright to my ears. Just that the W3000ANV, while bright, isn't 'spikey.' A curious tuning-- a bit W shaped? But wonderful tonality, really immersive. (BTW, I'm someone who thinks the TH900 is way too bright). I liked the 'Japan's' a lot. They look gorgeous, and feel great too. Overall though, I'd still say the Denon 9200 is the better, more even headphone.

Thanks for y'alls thoughts. I haven't heard the HD800 much but it didn't particularly bother me... the audio technica's brightness doesn't manifest for me as 'spiky' either, just (at least in the configurations I've heard them) there's a bit of a sheen in the highs that IMO tends to be out of balance with certain music. I need to try some basic filter/TP mod on the AP2000, it's so close to being just right... hopefully can catch the 9200s at some point in the future.

Dec 15, 2019 at 1:04 AM Post #731 of 4,390
Speaking of, anybody have thoughts about the Audio Technica ATH-W3000ANV (a.k.a. "Japan")? I used to have a pair and liked them a lot-- often went back and forth between them and the D7000.
They are one of best easily.
20131013_175137.jpg
Still likely held hostage at my ex's. Maybe time for a SWAT team rescue...
You need & must rescue them, even make a deal/trade for them, as they are very rare and valued.

W3000ANV is the best closed-back I have ever heard, to my taste it’s better than D7200/TH900. Not sure about D9200, they are superb technically, but too bright sounding even for me..
That was because of the stock pads.
Too bright because of stock pads.
Technically, I still don't believe they would beat 9200 in transparency and bass.
I would prefer them over the 7200 though.

My W3000ANVs are not quite in stock form now (dekoni hybrid pads
Dekoni pads are garbage. They loose alot of bass.
Sorry buy only dekoni pads for HD800 are ok.
You MUST try Alpha pads.
The W3000ANVs go into beast mode with these pads.
No lack of bass and good balance of trebles.

Again, with my home gear only insanely bright headphones like Ultrasone edition10
I had those ED10 and they had so nice sound, but bright as daylight lol.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #732 of 4,390
Dekoni pads are garbage. They loose alot of bass.
Sorry buy only dekoni pads for HD800 are ok.
You MUST try Alpha pads.
The W3000ANVs go into beast mode with these pads.
No lack of bass and good balance of trebles.

I had those ED10 and they had so nice sound, but bright as daylight lol.

I can't fully agree with you. I actually tried both Alpha Pads and three different Dekoni pads on W3000. Alphas are fun, but make ATs a bass beast, not what you expect from them. Fenestrated Dekonis are another extreme - superb detail extraction, but lose a lot of bass, as you say. "Normal" leather Dekonis are just OK, but still don't make W3000 sound better. I liked hybrid Dekonis the most, decided to stick to them. Stock pads offer too little of a soundstage and overall not too refined sound.

P.S. Sorry for this offtopic. I agree that from my brief listening session 9200s sound even more refined than W3000 (Denons are actually shockingly good for a closed back), but on the gear that I've listened to them, they were just a little bit too bright. I was initially torn between them and ADX5000, but after listening to both of them decided to buy another ATs. No regrets so far :)

Dec 15, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #734 of 4,390
I too was worried about the treble energy of the cans when I first got them, but after a small adjustment period the 9200s don't seem too treble sharp for me anymore.

The first few days after I had moved from a ZMF Aeolus every song felt like the treble was just a tad too sharp, but now it doesn't and just comes across as extreme detail and airy presentation. I also recently purchased the Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 887 amp, and that amp really helped bring alot of that Treble sharpness down a notch while leaving all of the delicious detail and air. I highly recommend the amp, but not to get off topic, if you feel like the Treble is a bit too much then go ahead and get a full OFC balanced cable, but I think you're trading away some incredible detail in the process as well.

I would recommend seeing if the stock 3m cable is something you can or can't get accustomed to before ordering a custom cable. Your system will also dictate whether or not the 9200s sound too hot or not.

Dec 16, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #735 of 4,390
I also was concerned about how bright D9200 was, it was quite fatiguing with metal. Ultimately, I bough a Schiit Loki tone control and now I'm happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back