Denon AH-D7100
Jan 5, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #3 of 86
Well, there are quite a few people who say that it isn't a very good for the price and a few people who do seem to like it.  You can do a search on them on this forum and you'll find a somewhat heated discussion about the D7100.  I haven't heard them myself, so I can't really give you any insight about your purchase. 

If you're looking for more of the old DX000 series sound though, I'd point you over to the Fostex TH-600.  Personally, I'd rather go with this than the D7100.

Here is the main thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/603426/denon-d7100/1170

Jan 6, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #4 of 86
  Well, there are quite a few people who say that it isn't a very good for the price and a few people who do seem to like it.  You can do a search on them on this forum and you'll find a somewhat heated discussion about the D7100.  I haven't heard them myself, so I can't really give you any insight about your purchase. 

If you're looking for more of the old DX000 series sound though, I'd point you over to the Fostex TH-600.  Personally, I'd rather go with this than the D7100.

Here is the main thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/603426/denon-d7100/1170

Thanks for the post m8

However the Fostex are £600 here which is nearly double the cost of the D7100. That is my point with these, they've become so discounted (by 65%) that they have to be well worth it now.

You can't get wooden cups, Leather pads, removable cables, headphone stand etc for under £500. It's pure luxuary materials.

Also there are two cables, one iphone with full control and a super high quality 10ft 7n ofc cable. Plus a beautiful storage box.

So for £350 or USD 525 it's a bargain.

P.S. I've a sneaky fealing I'm going to be very happy but admittedly I've lots of other options at home (Grado SR1, Senn HD650, COP, Ety 4rp, Shure e5c) so these are planned to fit a purpose. I have an idea of what that wil be but until I've played I can't be sure.

Jan 6, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #5 of 86
Denon D7100 arrived an hour ago.

Plugged straight into my iphone 4 and they sound so high end straight out of the box.

I do wonder if they've been returned and repackaged. Not because of condition but because of sound quality and price - so smooth, detailed, refined etc. Bass so present and detailed. Listening to Jacques Loussier Trio AAC 320 rip from CD.

Definantely best sounding headphones I've ever heard from iDevice :I own Grado RS1, Sennheiser HD650, Beyerdymanic COP, Shure e5c and Etymotic 4rp. Also owned Senn HD600 before.

These are amzing for iPhone users. Hoping they go up another gear with my Grace m903

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #6 of 86
Thanks for the "thumbs-up" Vladguardian.

I must say that after 3 days I'm very please with this headphone purchase and can highly recommend them at the £400 mark.

Using iPhone 4, iBasso DX100 or Grace m903, plus a well recorded piece of music and they are a real pleasure - very enjoyable.

They are also less forgiving to poor recordings or music heavily compressed by the recording studio - highlighting their detail retrieval and clarity. Very much like my Grado RS1 but with more bass and arguably just a tad less excitement.

Not categorically sure but using the iPhone cable does seem to drop the sound quality from DX100, especially in the bass detail, but to early to decide if the drop in sound outweighs the convenience of the short cable - especially if I'm moving from iPhone so short cable is currently connected.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who HAS provided a welcoming home to these beauties i.e. appreciations.

I know you're out there
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #7 of 86
I'm using it with AK120.
Burned them for 150 hours (50% of time with IsoTek + 50% time with TaraLabs, at volume level a bit more than usual level).
Sounding 8/10 for me: detailed, lots of quality bass (even with EQ off), good scene, good separation of instruments, airiness.
Sounds distinctively better than my stock D2000 (despite opinions of LOTS OF "professional" TROLLS on this forum).
But heavy genres are better with D2000... (heavy / thrash / death / melodic death)
D7100 is far more genre-universal: classical / jazz / light rock / electronic / pop are just great with them.
But metal sounds somewhat less agressive and more "intelligent" than on D2000.
Cons:
- lack of recording quality is quite clearly hearable with my setup (AK120 + D7100).
- vocals somewhat recessed in relation to instruments. Still can be improved by EQ.
- design (it's not perfect for me, though, not fatal on the other side)
- sits on my head unreliable (no sharp movements with it! :) On the other side, sits very comfortable.
roman r:
They are also less forgiving to poor recordings or music heavily compressed by the recording studio

AK120 is even less forgiving: it both musical and analytical (detailed), so much less tolerant to bad recordings VS ipods/iphones.

Got them for $830 back in November. Definitely worth the minimal price tag of $600-700, not less (!)

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #8 of 86
Having spoke to people that own them, they say they sound identical to the D600 with slight improvements here and there. The D600 are one of the most enjoyable, cleanest headphones I've heard that can produce POWERFUL Bass. They can be a bit fatiguing with some music so I do need a cool down period but they are awesome and I can say without hesitation that the D7100 will be amazing too.

At a low price of £350 I doubt you will get better for the price if you are after that sort of sound! unless you go for the D600 at £200 that may be a better deal if you don't mind missing out of the wooded finish under the cups. 

Jan 12, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #9 of 86
  Having spoke to people that own them, they say they sound identical to the D600 with slight improvements here and there. The D600 are one of the most enjoyable, cleanest headphones I've heard that can produce POWERFUL Bass. They can be a bit fatiguing with some music so I do need a cool down period but they are awesome and I can say without hesitation that the D7100 will be amazing too.

At a low price of £350 I doubt you will get better for the price if you are after that sort of sound! unless you go for the D600 at £200 that may be a better deal if you don't mind missing out of the wooded finish under the cups. 

I agree the D600 at £200, or better still £160 which was the xmas price when I paid £350 for my AH-D7100, is IMHO better value but I believe that's the laws of "Diminished Returns" at play.

Re fatiguing, this is a major factor in my choice of which of my cans to use. Senn HD650 is for when I'm knackered, Grado RS1 for when I'm really "up" and wanting maximium involvement and all my other cans fall somewhere inbetween. Ety 4rp for iphone "out-and-about" , Shure e5c when so tired it's time to literally fall asleep on pillow, Beyer Custom One Pro for quick bursts around the house but wanting isolation, but not necessarily micro detail AND D7100 for micro detail, isolation, fun, joy, bass etc, etc.

Jan 12, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #10 of 86
  I'm using it with AK120.
Burned them for 150 hours (50% of time with IsoTek + 50% time with TaraLabs, at volume level a bit more than usual level).
Sounding 8/10 for me: detailed, lots of quality bass (even with EQ off), good scene, good separation of instruments, airiness.
Sounds distinctively better than my stock D2000 (despite opinions of LOTS OF "professional" TROLLS on this forum).
But heavy genres are better with D2000... (heavy / thrash / death / melodic death)
D7100 is far more genre-universal: classical / jazz / light rock / electronic / pop are just great with them.
But metal sounds somewhat less agressive and more "intelligent" than on D2000.
Cons:
- lack of recording quality is quite clearly hearable with my setup (AK120 + D7100).
- vocals somewhat recessed in relation to instruments. Still can be improved by EQ.
- design (it's not perfect for me, though, not fatal on the other side)
- sits on my head unreliable (no sharp movements with it! :) On the other side, sits very comfortable.
AK120 is even less forgiving: it both musical and analytical (detailed), so much less tolerant to bad recordings VS ipods/iphones.

Got them for $830 back in November. Definitely worth the minimal price tag of $600-700, not less (!)

Nice to hear your finding.

I've not spent anywhere near enough hours, only about 10,  to know for sure but I am a little suspicious that these cans might not be going well with powerful amps. This I can accept if I'm correct as it's no different to saying Senn HD650 don't go well fed directly from an iDevice or other weakly powered portable pmp.

I was listening to Phantom Of The Opera CD (the movie version) and deep bass was bloated and undefined. This was using Lexicon RT20 and Graham Slee Novo amp. When I tried the same tracks on Marantz CD63ki (transport only) and Grace m903 the bass was much much better.

I didn't notice this issue with my iBasso DX100 on other albums, or iPhone 4 - Phantom CD not currently wripped to test. Might try just playing with the iBasso Voltage boost to see if if it effects bass in this way.

This may be just running in needed, but I've a suspision these cans are tuned for iDevice and other PMP where there just isn't the power to achive the bass we would like so they're making those low frequencies very "reactive". Just my current thoughts and no way concreate findings.

However if I am right then I do get it, i.e. I think it's progress to get great bass/sound from portables but at the expence of when wanting even greater quality one has to use an amp that isn't pumping lots of mW rms. I'm probably way off the mark here but that's my thoughts at the moment.

Love these cans ;o)

Jan 12, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #11 of 86
I really want the D7100 badly lol how do you find the build? I still imagine the D7100 to be quite superior than my D600 so I am going to get them as a home phone. How do they compare to your HD650? I found the 650 a bit dull and boring but they where excellent.

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #12 of 86
I really want the D7100 badly lol how do you find the build? I still imagine the D7100 to be quite superior than my D600 so I am going to get them as a home phone. How do they compare to your HD650? I found the 650 a bit dull and boring but they where excellent.

D7100 is much much better to my HD650 build wise. I'm taking into account the cans, cables, beautiful matching stand and packaging. D7100 is also better soundwise.

I found if I'm wide awake HD650 is lacking in fun and immersion and that'ss from either GS Novo amp or grace m903 - i need to be tired to appreciate them.

An area that isn't covered is matching headphone with my concious state. We all know the HD650 is  dark headphone. But what does that really mean. If the brightness of a TV is set very low and you watch the TV in a dark room the picture comes across perfectly. But the same picture in a very very bright room and you can't see the picture well. For me it's the same with headphones. A dark headphone like the HD650 needs a dark "state of mind" i.e. I need to be tired to be able to hear the sound as it's meant to be. If I'm wide a wake, upbeat, then a dark headphone won't portray the sound to me clearly I need a bright headphone when in that conscious state.

That is I believe why people keep changing headphones. No headphone can suit all moods, not until they come up with a "brightness control" on them - lol.

Hope I'm not rambling.

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #13 of 86
D7100 is much much better to my HD650 build wise. I'm taking into account the cans, cables, beautiful matching stand and packaging. D7100 is also better soundwise.

I found if I'm wide awake HD650 is lacking in fun and immersion and that'ss from either GS Novo amp or grace m903 - i need to be tired to appreciate them.

An area that isn't covered is matching headphone with my concious state. We all know the HD650 is  dark headphone. But what does that really mean. If the brightness of a TV is set very low and you watch the TV in a dark room the picture comes across perfectly. But the same picture in a very very bright room and you can't see the picture well. For me it's the same with headphones. A dark headphone like the HD650 needs a dark "state of mind" i.e. I need to be tired to be able to hear the sound as it's meant to be. If I'm wide a wake, upbeat, then a dark headphone won't portray the sound to me clearly I need a bright headphone when in that conscious state.

That is I believe is why people keep changing headphones. No headphone can suit all moods, not until the come up with "brightness control" on them - lol.

Hope I'm not rambling.

No don't be silly you are not rambling at all! That was actually brilliantly described and I completely agree with you especially about people changing headphones because of suitability!

I own the Mad Dog and they sound close to technically perfect as as far as Hifi closed backs go; but they are also similar in sound signature to the 650. When comparing to my Denon D600 the Mad Dog just sounds like it has no personality and doesn't pull you into the music. That's when I found I'm a Denon fan!

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #14 of 86
Primetime86:
That's when I found I'm a Denon fan!

You are welcome!
wink.gif

Primetime86:
really want the D7100 badly

If primary use will be listening from powerful sources (CD, home theater, or Colorfly C4 maybe), instead of listening from portable player, you should also look to Fostex TH-900.
They are real successors of Denon D7000, but needs alot more power to drive. Alot of people recommend it.
If you like Denon sound signature, you'll like it too, very probably.
Plus, it's quite different level of sound quality (if you want to).
Minus, they are almost TWICE expensive than D7100 today.
Primetime86:
how do you find the build?

They have very reliable construction, many people say. Others say: "You can even sit down on them and they survive".
Also, D7100 a way more resistant to scratches if compared to Denon D7000 and Fostex TH-900 (those have wooden lacquered cups).
Really for portable use. Though, I'm not ready yet - to sit down on them
wink.gif

roman r:
until they come up with a "brightness control" on them

Great fresh idea!
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #15 of 86
They are real successors of Denon D7000, but needs alot more power to drive

The Fostex TH-900 has a impedance of 25 ohms, the same as the D7000, why would it require any more power?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back