Denon AH-D7000
Aug 10, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #4,636 of 7,457

Quote:
I'm sure this has been discussed before (apologies), but what are some particularly smooth-sounding/laid back amps with the D7000? I've been loving these headphones, for the most part, with my Burson amp. The combo is punchy, dynamic, transparent, detailed, fast and full-bodied. With a good recording, it's the best sound I've ever had. Engaging and rich. 

My only gripe with this combo is that it can sound a bit forward and bright at times. Or some might say, with the Burson in particular, that the top end is rather very detailed and honest/revealing. I would tend to agree. It can be very satisfying and addictive. But other times I find myself wanting a more laid-back sound, less forward in the treble. Ideally I could add that amp next to my Burson for when that contrast is desired. Any tried and true recs? Any successful tube amp pairings? I'd like to keep the speed/detail/dynamics of good solid state but mate it with a smoother/a little recessed top end.

Right now I'm breaking in the Ming Da MC84C07 http://www.pacificvalve.us/MDMC84C07.html fed by the Peachtree Nova dac.  I've only got about twelve hours on it but already it's starting to sound a little rounder and warmer than the Peachtree's HP amp.  Kind of earyl to tell a lot, tho'.  Unfortunately, with the stock tubes, there is a bit of hum with the 25 ohm D7000's.  I haven't experimented with tube rolling yet but I plan to.  No hum with the 32 ohm 325's or 60 ohm Q701's.

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #4,637 of 7,457
Hey guys I am thinking about selling my D7000... again haha. Same with my HE-6, just can't bring myself to actually do it.

What are people getting them for new these days? I want to make sure I am not gouging.

Thanks!

Aug 10, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #4,638 of 7,457

Quote:
Hey guys I am thinking about selling my D7000... again haha. Same with my HE-6, just can't bring myself to actually do it.

What are people getting them for new these days? I want to make sure I am not gouging.

Thanks!

I would not rush to do it but I guess 600.00 should be fair for them as they are hard to get discounted anymore.

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #4,640 of 7,457
I think $800 is too high even in excellent condition. I know prices have gone up a lot over the past few months but I bought mine new for $650 and know people that have paid even lower than that. I think anything over $700 for stock D7000 is a hard sell. $600 to $650 you can sell them, but over $700 I think they will sit there for a while. Nothing wrong with posting a desired price and cutting it down if it doesn't sell in a while though.

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #4,641 of 7,457
If I remember I sold mine at 700. They're still rough to get a hold of new, so the price is pretty good used.

Quote:
I think $800 is too high even in excellent condition. I know prices have gone up a lot over the past few months but I bought mine new for $650 and know people that have paid even lower than that. I think anything over $700 for stock D7000 is a hard sell. $600 to $650 you can sell them, but over $700 I think they will sit there for a while. Nothing wrong with posting a desired price and cutting it down if it doesn't sell in a while though.

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #4,643 of 7,457
From another thread about the open-back D7000 by lmswjm

Quote:
I did listen to the "open back / open front D7000's. " and I thought they were WAY better than the stock D7000's.

Good mods!!

Yes, the re-cabled open-back D7000 were better than stock with improved air, ambience and midrange presence, plus better high end detail.  My only problem was the deep bass was looser and muddier than my LA7000 or my orthodynamics.  With test tones there is some doubling and distortion of very low notes below 31Hz, and a roll off below 40Hz that my LA7000 does not exhibit.  They did play very strong to 40Hz, and the 31Hz test tones were only a couple of dB down.  They still had a fun mid-bass hump, which didn't over power the mids too much.  The deep bass did improve with a strong amp like my ZDT, and with most music it was not easy to hear the problems because there isn't a lot of musical content that low.  Even my LA7000 don't have quite the bass detail and speed of my orthodynamics, HD800 and Stax.  It seems to me that any version of of D7000 is fun to listen to and gets your toes tapping, but the LA7000 are more reference quality while the open-backed D7000 get you part of the way there for less money.

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #4,645 of 7,457

Quote:

Before I bought my D7000s a month ago, I had been looking for a pair for six months on these forums. I used to check the for sale section almost everyday, and everytime there was a pair for $600-$650, they sold on the same day they were posted. I could never get to a pair on time due to the time difference between the US and Europe. 
I think its true that $800 is a bit too much, but there are plenty of people who will buy a pair for $750, you just have to wait. Anything below $750 will go within days, so if you're willing to wait, you can get a very good price for one.

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #4,646 of 7,457
Thanks for all the feedback guys!

I guess my price is pretty fair then 650 IIRC. They are mint minus one small scratch, have J$ pads v3 pads and still have the original box where they were stored. The only downside / upside is they were re-terminated to 4pin XLR but there is also a 4pin XLR to TRS adaptor fashioned out of the same cable.

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #4,647 of 7,457
I bought my first pair for the full $1000 MSRP, but since then I've purchased two at $688 and now $600 brand new, so $700 used is a bit too high.

Btw if anyone is interested in an LA7000 I have one on sale.

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #4,649 of 7,457

Quote:
Not for those who paid $1000.  If everyone gets it for $650, yes, but that's hardly the case it seems nowadays.

It's strange because back when I bought it, people were constantly talking about getting it for $600-700 from J&R and such, but I could only find it brand new at MSRP. Now I see (and bought twice) pairs that are in the $600-700 range new all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back