Denon AH-D7000
Oct 14, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #2,161 of 7,457

Quote:
As well, I prefer my HD800s with my MAD tube amp and the D7000s with my SS Concerto.

This makes sense to me, also. I don't have any synergy with my tube system and the D7000. It does nothing for me so far. I think a SS amp would be a much better fit. Unfortunately, I don't have one.

Oct 14, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #2,162 of 7,457
Quote:
This makes sense to me, also. I don't have any synergy with my tube system and the D7000. It does nothing for me so far. I think a SS amp would be a much better fit. Unfortunately, I don't have one.

What tubes have you experimented with?

I haven't heard my D7000s on a SS other than my old Kenwood receiver, but I have to say that the WA22 really does them justice.  Comparing the WA22 with its original tubes to my Kenwood receiver, there wasn't a massive difference.  I haven't heard my Kenwood receiver in almost a year (since I got the WA22), but I don't regret my purchase at all.  Rolling in different tubes has been very fun and very rewarding.

I really want to hear my D7000s on a nice SS amp (perhaphs a B22) but to be honest, I really don't think I can expect a level of quality much higher than what I have now.
darthsmile.gif

Oct 14, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #2,163 of 7,457

Quote:

I like my D7000s with my MAD tube amp, but once I heard them on my Concerto, I really haven't gone back to tubes with these cans. Just so much more energy, slam that they seem to synergize much better with the Concerto.

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #2,164 of 7,457
Good to know, MacHero. 
I'd be interested to hear these phones with a Burson HA 160 as well.

Oct 15, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #2,165 of 7,457

Quote:
Good to know, MacHero. 
I'd be interested to hear these phones with a Burson HA 160 as well.

I'm sure they would be great. But if you're planning on the T1s as well, I would steer clear of the Burson...it had some pretty bad synergy with the beyers.

Oct 16, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #2,166 of 7,457

[size=medium]
These phones have low impedance. Are they as easy to drive as Grado's and Audio Technica's? I don't have a dedicated headphone amplifier and plug my phones directly into my ipod, laptop, CD player and stereo receiver.  
[/size]

Oct 17, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #2,167 of 7,457

Quote:
I don't have any synergy with my tube system and the D7000. It does nothing for me so far.

The burn-in period has changed my opinion. The Denons have much better control now and the bass has tightened up quite a bit. I'm beginning to really like them with the tube amp.

Oct 17, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #2,168 of 7,457

Quote:
The burn-in period has changed my opinion. The Denons have much better control now and the bass has tightened up quite a bit. I'm beginning to really like them with the tube amp.

They will sound better as you get used to them, thats for sure.

Your transformer coupled WA6SE should fair pretty well I'd imagine with them, much better than an OTL at any rate. However, the Denon's really do have an affinity with good solid state.

Oct 17, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #2,169 of 7,457

Quote:

I agree. The D7k is truly excellent and match incredibly well with my DAC1-Pre or Xonar STX. Maybe the SS amps just bring it to life, but I am really pleased with these, as they are incredibly natural and 'acoustic'. Now that I have had them for a while I'm kind of sad that my DT880's have had so little head-time.

As for the difference between the D5k and D7k... I think HeadphoneAddict put it perfectly "I think the D7000 bass is more controlled, and the speed/detail is a little better than D5000. I did think the D5000 mids and highs beat the D2000, but the bass was more out of control in the D5000.  Out of the three phones, the D7000 is the only one I could enjoy long term without mods (if I had to)."
Yep... pretty much sums it up for me as well. The D5k had great mids and highs, but the bass just overwhelmed everything. Here the D7k gets nearly everything right. Not without it's issues... but what isn't?

shane

Oct 17, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #2,170 of 7,457
I finally managed to take the stock pads off and put the Jmoney ones on -I took the earpads off the plastic, put an Allen wrench into the one of the holes and pushed the whole thing anti-clockwise. They finally came loose.
The sound seems to become a bit more forward with the J$ pads. Most people say the soundstage opens up with the these pads but I haven't noticed that yet. No sure if this is an improvement or just a sideways step. Need more time to form a better judgment.

Oct 17, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #2,172 of 7,457

Quote:

[size=medium]
These phones have low impedance. Are they as easy to drive as Grado's and Audio Technica's? I don't have a dedicated headphone amplifier and plug my phones directly into my ipod, laptop, CD player and stereo receiver.  
[/size]

Different people will tell you different things, but here is my take:

They are indeed playable out of an iPod or a CD player -most headphones are. They do sound noticeably better with a good amp, preferably an SS design, with very low output impedance. They should not disappoint in any situation though -they are great cans.

Being low impedance does not mean a headphone is easy to drive, it's efficiency rating does. The D7000 are efficient, but they also crave healthy amounts of current due to their low impedance- something an iPod or CD player won't give. A stereo receiver should be pretty good though.

High impedance  = voltage driven
Low impedance = current driven
Efficiency/sensitivity in db = how easy a headphone is to drive.

Because they are low impedance, the output impedance of an amp will effect how well they can perform, which is why SS is suggested - they tend to have lower output impedances, and higher current output than similarly priced tube amps. That is not to say low impedance means you can't use tube amps though, just it is not ideal depending on your tastes. Transformer coupled tube amps would work great. Synergy is entirely personal, but the consensus seems to be SS is best for the D7000.

hope that helped.

Oct 17, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #2,173 of 7,457

Quote:
I finally managed to take the stock pads off and put the Jmoney ones on -I took the earpads off the plastic, put an Allen wrench into the one of the holes and pushed the whole thing anti-clockwise. They finally came loose.
The sound seems to become a bit more forward with the J$ pads. Most people say the soundstage opens up with the these pads but I haven't noticed that yet. No sure if this is an improvement or just a sideways step. Need more time to form a better judgment.

I'm interested in your findings. To me the MarkL mod (stuffed pad, esp.) seemed to bring up the mids, but not to my liking. They seemed to produce a kind of 'cupped-hand' - tube sound. Not sure if the J$'s will do the same, but I was thinking about them for added comfort and maybe a better seal.

shane

Oct 17, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #2,174 of 7,457

Quote:
Different people will tell you different things, but here is my take:

They are indeed playable out of an iPod or a CD player -most headphones are. They do sound noticeably better with a good amp, preferably an SS design, with very low output impedance. They should not disappoint in any situation though -they are great cans.

Being low impedance does not mean a headphone is easy to drive, it's efficiency rating does. The D7000 are efficient, but they also crave healthy amounts of current due to their low impedance- something an iPod or CD player won't give. A stereo receiver should be pretty good though.

High impedance  = voltage driven
Low impedance = current driven
Efficiency/sensitivity in db = how easy a headphone is to drive.

Because they are low impedance, the output impedance of an amp will effect how well they can perform, which is why SS is suggested - they tend to have lower output impedances, and higher current output than similarly priced tube amps. That is not to say low impedance means you can't use tube amps though, just it is not ideal depending on your tastes. Transformer coupled tube amps would work great. Synergy is entirely personal, but the consensus seems to be SS is best for the D7000.

hope that helped.

That was most helpful. Thanks very much.

Oct 18, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #2,175 of 7,457

Quote:
I'm interested in your findings. To me the MarkL mod (stuffed pad, esp.) seemed to bring up the mids, but not to my liking. They seemed to produce a kind of 'cupped-hand' - tube sound. Not sure if the J$'s will do the same, but I was thinking about them for added comfort and maybe a better seal.

shane

I have a pair of MarkL modded pads too and will try them on the D7000 to see how they compare to the J$. The J$ pads do feel more comfortable than the stock ones and make the phones stay tighter on your head. Don't notice a better seal though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back