Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
Jan 5, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #691 of 815
In the past you were in the Abyss, now you are a wise guy :beerchug:
very to the point :)
Yes, the Abyss was an important step to enlightenment in that it was the deep end of the diminishing returns curve… and gave me a strong hint what to expect, helping me get off the hunt for the ever better next big thing. Glad to leave that behind and focus on models that simply give me fun with my music

Jan 5, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #692 of 815
It completely differs from my feelings. I do not understand this. Bass, especially in the Eikon, "knocks off your feet". It cannot even be compared with the d5200. This is a completely different level. Maybe this is due to a different amplifier?
I've only heard the Atticus and Ori on my setup and not directly compared with the modded AH-D5200, but have directly compared with my modded Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart and neither has anywhere close to the subbass punch & presence of the Purplehearts. The AH-D5200 with Yaxi TH610 Alcantara pads is warmer with stronger low end presence and relaxed highs and bit more open/spacious sound over stock pad... and fairly close in subbass to the Purplehearts, just a bit less presence but as punchy or slightly punchier with better extension and articulation. You just need custom spacer rings to fit the Yaxi pads onto the newer Denons since their mounting ring design changed and is smaller than the Fostex & older Denon AHD series. I posted earlier in this thread when I first went to the Yaxi Alcantara pads... will put link to it in a bit when I find the thread page.

Edit: Here's link to the post about the adapter rings I made for Fostex sized pads: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/denon-ah-d5200-little-brother-of-the-ah-d7200.875053/post-16034132

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #693 of 815
The AH-D5200 with Yaxi TH610 Alcantara pads is warmer with stronger low end presence and relaxed highs and bit more open/spacious sound over stock pad... and fairly close in subbass to the Purplehearts,
The Yaxi pads have arrived. I am after the first auditions and I will not hide it, but I am disappointed again. Yes, the bass is stronger, but many aspects are getting worse, the soundstage is worse, the natural color of the sound. The vocals recede a bit, but at the same time flattens the 3D effect. Pity:frowning2:
Another pad will land in the drawer. My personal experience with replacing the headphone pads again shows that the original pads are the best overall. Substitutes will improve one aspect, but worsen others. Yaxi pads as a replacement can be, but as an upgrade to the D5200, not for me.
Out of curiosity, I also put them on for the Fostex T60RP, but it's a total failure there :frowning2:
I will try D2000 but ...

Jan 14, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #694 of 815
The Yaxi pads have arrived. I am after the first auditions and I will not hide it, but I am disappointed again. Yes, the bass is stronger, but many aspects are getting worse, the soundstage is worse, the natural color of the sound. The vocals recede a bit, but at the same time flattens the 3D effect. Pity:frowning2:
Another pad will land in the drawer. My personal experience with replacing the headphone pads again shows that the original pads are the best overall. Substitutes will improve one aspect, but worsen others. Yaxi pads as a replacement can be, but as an upgrade to the D5200, not for me.
Out of curiosity, I also put them on for the Fostex T60RP, but it's a total failure there :frowning2:
I will try D2000 but ...
I haven't try pad rolling with D5200 yet, but as far as I know D2000 and TH-X00 only sound the best with stock pads (tried like 10+ pads). The older Denon/Fostex are VERY sensitive to pad change.

On a side note, all the new dongle dac seems to all have 4.4 balanced.

I start to wonder if it's worth it to invest in a 4.4 balanced cable. Anyone has any good recommendation that won't break my wallet to start?

https://mezeaudio.com/collections/accessories/products/99series-ofc-balanced-cable

Is this any good?

Also I'm new to balanced cables but..... I understand there's XLR and also 2.5, but is the 4.4 the more common one these days? (for dongle dac at least)

Jan 14, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #696 of 815
I have this Maze balanced cable with 2,5mm termination - very good, works as advertised. I use it both on the D5200 and Elegia
Same here...plus you can pick up the Drop 2.5mm to XLR adapter to work with an amp that has this output.

Jan 14, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #697 of 815
I have this Maze balanced cable with 2,5mm termination - very good, works as advertised. I use it both on the D5200 and Elegia
Same here...plus you can pick up the Drop 2.5mm to XLR adapter to work with an amp that has this output.
Cool sounds good, I'll pick one up after my Cayin RU6 arrives LOL. Thanks!!!

Jan 28, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #698 of 815
Just received my AH-D5200 yesterday and I must say, they are soooo goooood!!! Comfortable, easy to drive, pretty, stylish, and the sound! Powerful, controlled and extended bass, mellow and natural midrange, present, extended but not over-powering treble... Love them!

Jan 28, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #699 of 815
Just received my AH-D5200 yesterday and I must say, they are soooo goooood!!! Comfortable, easy to drive, pretty, stylish, and the sound! Powerful, controlled and extended bass, mellow and natural midrange, present, extended but not over-powering treble... Love them!
Yeah I tried a lot of Fostex/Denon headphones. Namely D2000, D5000, E-Mu Teak, Rosewood, Bamboo, TH-X00 Mahogany, Ebony, TH900 and D9200.

I end up keeping D5200 because all things considered it's the most well rounded. THOUGH that being said D2000 still is more open sounding and has more accurate sound stage and imaging, and generally is a bit more precise sounding, but also more colder/lean sounding. D5200 is a bit more "fuzzier" and warm sounding.

So in the end I kept D2000 and D5200, different pros and cons. I'm still trying to find the unicorn where it retains D5200 sound but D2000 openess while still being closed back.

But really good to hear you're enjoying it! :thumbsup:

Jan 28, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #700 of 815
Yeah I tried a lot of Fostex/Denon headphones. Namely D2000, D5000, E-Mu Teak, Rosewood, Bamboo, TH-X00 Mahogany, Ebony, TH900 and D9200.

I end up keeping D5200 because all things considered it's the most well rounded. THOUGH that being said D2000 still is more open sounding and has more accurate sound stage and imaging, and generally is a bit more precise sounding, but also more colder/lean sounding. D5200 is a bit more "fuzzier" and warm sounding.

So in the end I kept D2000 and D5200, different pros and cons. I'm still trying to find the unicorn where it retains D5200 sound but D2000 openess while still being closed back.

But really good to hear you're enjoying it! :thumbsup:

Used to have the AH-D2000, owned them for about 5 years, in the end I sold them, did not like their unnatural plasticky treble. The AH-D5200 sound much more natural to me, I enjoy them much, much more. Now I am waiting for the HD58X to arrive and then I hope my collection will be complete.

Jan 28, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #701 of 815
Used to have the AH-D2000, owned them for about 5 years, in the end I sold them, did not like their unnatural plasticky treble. The AH-D5200 sound much more natural to me, I enjoy them much, much more. Now I am waiting for the HD58X to arrive and then I hope my collection will be complete.
lol yeah definitely agree, I think that's why I think D5200 tonal balance is better, but D5200 never felt that "clear" to me. D2000 in contrast is crystal clear. But in everyday regular listening I think D5200 is enjoyable enough that I don't think about it lol.

Also dac/amp combination generally can address some of the shortcomings too. But nice I hope you enjoy your HD58X too!

Jan 28, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #702 of 815
I use a 100% UPOCC silver cable with D5200, it tightens up the bass and provides cleaner lines and detail vs my UPOCC copper cable.

Mar 3, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #703 of 815
Hi...I'm planning to buy these as my go-to headphones but I can't find anyone talking about its detail retrieval. Are these good at detail retrieval as much as Focal elegia which I'm eyeing on or maybe equal? Can you compare D5200 and hd6xx which is only audiophile headphone I currently own in terms of detail and technicalities? As far as Sound profile goes, these looks good to me but overall technical ability is what keeping me ;(

Mar 3, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #704 of 815
I own an AKG712 and a HD560S and D5200 are the best to my ears in terms of how realistic instruments are positioned. I felt the same while playing video games. Details are also very good, I can hear small subtleties in strings manipulation for instance.

In comparison HD560S sounds a lot less deep and a bit blurred while AKG sounds less realistic in terms of positioning (even if has large soundstage).

They are not my favorite in terms of overall tone but I was surprised by imaging and details, it is to me the D5200 real strenghts.

I am not an expert by any means and I own few headphones but this is my feeling about this.

Mar 3, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #705 of 815
Hi...I'm planning to buy these as my go-to headphones but I can't find anyone talking about its detail retrieval. Are these good at detail retrieval as much as Focal elegia which I'm eyeing on or maybe equal? Can you compare D5200 and hd6xx which is only audiophile headphone I currently own in terms of detail and technicalities? As far as Sound profile goes, these looks good to me but overall technical ability is what keeping me ;(

I'd say the Elegia is a class above the D5200. With the current pricing of the Elegia, if I had to chose between the two, I'd go with the Elegia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back