Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
Apr 29, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #556 of 815
LOL ah yes I think I read your RMA comment so that was it.

I suspect maybe they had bad sales in North America and decided to pull it off the shelf, but then somehow it got popular again and then they decide to keep it.

I hope they weren't just screwing with you lol.
I wanted an exchange but was told that it was discontinued and no more were available, so I just took the refund instead. I thought about trying for a repair since it was defective out of the box but it took damn near 3 months and 12 contact attempts to get the refund and I was just sick of dealing with it at that point.

That said, they has me send it directly to United Radio instead of back to them so I assume it was assessed and probably repaired to be sold as a return or something.

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #557 of 815
I wanted an exchange but was told that it was discontinued and no more were available, so I just took the refund instead. I thought about trying for a repair since it was defective out of the box but it took damn near 3 months and 12 contact attempts to get the refund and I was just sick of dealing with it at that point.

That said, they has me send it directly to United Radio instead of back to them so I assume it was assessed and probably repaired to be sold as a return or something.
That sucks though, I'm assuming you jumped in on the black friday which was such a good deal. If you were to get it again now you'd have to pay full price.

Also the RMA process isn't too confidence inspiring....... I'm in Canada hopefully we have different service provider for RMA.

Though I'm still undecided on if I should pick up D5200 or just shoot for D9200. Also I don't know if this will fit my head first, I have VERY LARGE head.

The Fostex / Old Denon design is one of the rare few headphones that actually fit my head properly. Most headphone I have to max expansion. Beyers don't fit even at max expansion.

Apr 29, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #558 of 815
That sucks though, I'm assuming you jumped in on the black friday which was such a good deal. If you were to get it again now you'd have to pay full price.

Also the RMA process isn't too confidence inspiring....... I'm in Canada hopefully we have different service provider for RMA.

Though I'm still undecided on if I should pick up D5200 or just shoot for D9200. Also I don't know if this will fit my head first, I have VERY LARGE head.

The Fostex / Old Denon design is one of the rare few headphones that actually fit my head properly. Most headphone I have to max expansion. Beyers don't fit even at max expansion.
Maybe @bythebookiii would help you. He had issues with AH-D9200 at maximun extension. Now, he has Fostex TH 900 MK2 and they fit him properly. Also, he had Sony Z1R and no issues with fitting.

I asked him before I bought the 9200s and thankfully I found/find them very comfortable for me (I had to return Beyer T1.3 due to comfort issues, the pads were too small for my ears and the headband pressed my head, even at maximum extension). Althought, I had no problems with Beyer DT 1990 Pro and Amiron Home.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #559 of 815
Maybe @bythebookiii would help you. He had issues with AH-D9200 at maximun extension. Now, he has Fostex TH 900 MK2 and they fit him properly. Also, he had Sony Z1R and no issues with fitting.

I asked him before I bought the 9200s and thankfully I found/find them very comfortable for me (I had to return Beyer T1.3 due to comfort issues, the pads were too small for my ears and the headband pressed my head, even at maximum extension). Althought, I had no problems with Beyer DT 1990 Pro and Amiron Home.
lol that's really good to hear, I feel like I'm most likely in the same camp too then. Hopefully we'll get a response from him soon!

Otherwise here are my experience with some headphones (some are mine some are friend's some are store demo):

TH-X00 / D2000 - Fit with 1 extra clicks to spare, so almost maxed out.
HD650 - Fits.
HD800 - Fits.
Meze 99 Classic - Band will not stretch far enough.
HE400S - My head will hit the metal band and still don't have enough room.
Bose - Fits at almost max extension.
M50X - Don't remember but fit at close to max.
Beyer DT880 - Max extension could still clip bottom of my ear.
AD900X - It would be / \ this shape because my head is too wide.
Grado - Same problem / \ this shape.
MDR1AM2 - Would fit at max extension.
Master and Dynamic MH40 - No chance.

In general MOST headphone will fit at max extension, some will not fit even at max, and some will fit poorly / bad angle depending on hinge system (AD900X).

Apr 30, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #561 of 815

The Quad Era 1 may be suitable for you regarding head size.I have one and on the tightest setting it still feels like it is going to slip off my normal size head.

Apr 30, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #562 of 815
The Quad Era 1 may be suitable for you regarding head size.I have one and on the tightest setting it still feels like it is going to slip off my normal size head.
Never knew about this one I had to google it, it looks pretty good!

Though I need a closed back unfortunately since I listen to music fairly loud I also work close to my wife which she works from home too.

So if I don't want her to kill me I should stick to closed back lol. Thanks for the suggestion though!

May 3, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #563 of 815
The past few weeks I am looking for a new pair of headphones. I had my eye on the Denon AH-D5200, but in de last 2 weeks it’s selling out everywhere. I’m now wondering if it’s such a great buy now it’s gets discontinued? It’s €389 here and they probably receive a shipment by the end of mei…

May 3, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #564 of 815
Whether it's being discontinued or not is irrelevant - it's the same great hp. I got mine a tad over 300€ which was a steal. Closer to 400€ it might not be such a steal but it's still a great headphone.

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #565 of 815
I’m thinking of letting my D5200 go due to financial issue and long international travel in few weeks. I haven’t posted this on classified yet, probably do so in next couple of days, but just wanted to see if anyone interested in this thread.

May 5, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #566 of 815
Does anyone know if constantly putting the cables on and off are going to affect the headphone negatively in the long run? I use these pretty often but I store them after every use.

May 5, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #567 of 815
Does anyone know if constantly putting the cables on and off are going to affect the headphone negatively in the long run? I use these pretty often but I store them after every use.
A quick google tells me 5000 plug/unplug cycles. So technically doing it more frequent will get you through the cycles faster.

However based on my mechanical keyboard knowledge. Cherry MX switches are rated for 50 million key presses. Someone did some calculations, this is about pressing 1 single switch (usually you type over difference keys) 24 hours a day (assuming you don't sleep or work and only doing this) for over 10 years then you'll hit the 50 million keypresses.

That being said key switches still break before that for other reasons, so it's hard to say.

Now back to the headphone plugs, I'd imagine if you plug/unplug say like twice a day, it will be 2500 days until it hit the rating, which is about 6.8 years if you consistently do this everyday. That being said it might still break faster / slower depending on other reasons.

In college my friend once tried to plug the headphone jack into the plug as fast as possible because it's cool (college), and that break the jack fairly quickly.

But generally speaking after 6.8 years you're more likely having bought a new headphone already (say like.... Denon D5300, or you decide to shoot for the star and got D9200).

So I do think yes it will increase wear and tear but I'd probably not worry too much about it in practical terms lol.

May 5, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #568 of 815
Thank you, yeah that makes total sense. Very well thought out and explained too. I probably wear the D5200 Once every 2-3 days. Store them in the original box with the silica since my room has some outside moisture that seeps in(florida woo). You are right though... I may eventually be tempted to shoot for the stars... I hope to fight off the upgraditis as much as I can.

May 7, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #569 of 815
Thank you, yeah that makes total sense. Very well thought out and explained too. I probably wear the D5200 Once every 2-3 days. Store them in the original box with the silica since my room has some outside moisture that seeps in(florida woo). You are right though... I may eventually be tempted to shoot for the stars... I hope to fight off the upgraditis as much as I can.
Same happens to me in my room (a lot of ambient humidity). I also store my headphones in their boxes with some silica gel bags. But, usually, I pick the headphones and use for 2-3 days and then I store them again in their box.

May 8, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #570 of 815
I'm lucky (or unlucky) here in Canada it's very dry. Good thing is I don't have to worry about too much moisture, bad thing is that certain type of wood would shrink and crack.

For example I've bought E-Mu Rosewood cup and those definitely shrunk a bit, but E-Mu Bamboo has been exactly the same size since day one.

The Mahogany cup on my D5000 seems to be ok so far too. Not too sure how Zebrawood (D5200) would fair in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back