Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
Apr 9, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #2 of 815
de_ah_d5200t_web_002.png

stock image from denon.jp

Already in stock at Hifi Klubben in Europe. No sign of the AH-D1200 which I can see for sale on amazon.co.jp.

Priced at €599 in the Netherlands which is actually €50 more than the D7200. I’m curious to hear how they are tuned differently to each other. The linked review above seems to hint the D5200 might actually sound better than it’s more expensive sibbeling.

What I have found is that the wood is described as real zebra wood, the D7200 uses walnut. Also the D7200 uses sheepskin leather on the top of the headband where as the D5200 seems to be synthetic all over.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #3 of 815
If drivers are the same, the D5200 appeals to people who want to use 3rd party cable and ear pads. I am not sure the zebra wood sounds better than walnut - at least among the Fostex/Massdrop TH-X00 variants there were clear differences related to the wood used for the cups.

Apr 12, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #4 of 815
I owned the D7200 for a short time and I was really disappointed with them. I thought they sounded really dull and boring. But I love my Fostex TH-X00 EB, which use essentially the same driver as the Denons. Hopefully the D5200 turns out to be a better sounding version.

Apr 12, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #5 of 815
I owned the D7200 for a short time and I was really disappointed with them. I thought they sounded really dull and boring. But I love my Fostex TH-X00 EB, which use essentially the same driver as the Denons. Hopefully the D5200 turns out to be a better sounding version.

What does the D7200 FreeEdge diaphragm, nano-fiber driver have to do with the TH-X00 biocellulose Fostex driver? I wasn't aware they were related in any way other than size (both are 50mm).

Apr 12, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #6 of 815
Apr 12, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #7 of 815
That link has photos of the old (and long discontinued) Denon D5000, which is made by Foster... I had read that Denon went with their own (non-Foster) design for the D7100, but now that I'm digging into it, it seems that the D7100 (and D7200) do both have Foster drivers, and that there's at least design evidence that the D7200 is a closer overall design to something from Foster (and not just a Denon/Sabotage London design partnership). Hard to come by definitive info though (not surprising, since a lot of companies aren't interested in revealing OEM partnerships).

Apr 12, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #8 of 815
Hard to come by definitive info though (not surprising, since a lot of companies aren't interested in revealing OEM partnerships).
Yep. :angry:

Apr 12, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #9 of 815
We have discussed the driver topic extensively in the D7200 thread, and the outcome was they are different drivers from the ones used in Fostex headphones: different diaphragm material, magnetic circuit, and suspension. May be manufactured by Fostex but that is irrelevant for the fact it's a different driver. The TX00 drivers are TH600 drivers. In addition, the driver loading (cups, Onken ports, damping) is different than in all Fostex/Massdrop headphone models.

In my experience the D7200 driver sounds quite different from the TH900 driver, which sounds slightly different (better) than the TX00 drivers. I have spent a long time with each, measuring response with and without cups etc. My opinion (based on available information, my measurements and my hearing) is that these are all different drivers.

Apr 12, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #12 of 815
We have discussed the driver topic extensively in the D7200 thread, and the outcome was they are different drivers from the ones used in Fostex headphones: different diaphragm material, magnetic circuit, and suspension. May be manufactured by Fostex but that is irrelevant for the fact it's a different driver. The TX00 drivers are TH600 drivers. In addition, the driver loading (cups, Onken ports, damping) is different than in all Fostex/Massdrop headphone models.

In my experience the D7200 driver sounds quite different from the TH900 driver, which sounds slightly different (better) than the TX00 drivers. I have spent a long time with each, measuring response with and without cups etc. My opinion (based on available information, my measurements and my hearing) is that these are all different drivers.
Thanks for all the info. :spy:

Apr 17, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #13 of 815
The drivers are both made by Foster (aka Fostex) and to the best of my knowledge use the same diaphragm material, but Denon markets it as ‘nano-fiber’.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/survey-foster-443742-variants-inside-photos
I can understand how they can all "look" the same, but they not "all" from same manufacturer, theres others like the "ZMF Eikon" and all the "Bowers & Wilkens" and the "AudioQuest - Nighthawk" as well as the "Klipsch Heritage HP-3" (that's Fostex tho).... You get my point.
They all looking like Fostex in design, but using their own diaphragm material.

I agree 100% my observations are same.
Also I read the 7200 was Denon departure from Fostex.

...I copied the exploded views from Denon’s site and made them the same size. Left the D7200, right the D5200. The diaphragm seems different, rest the same.

denon-ah-d7200-vs-ah-d-5200.jpg

Actually, if you look closely ,
the pictures are showing two different diaphragm colors.
It may be different material after all...

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #14 of 815
I hope they have improved the headband on the D5200.
The headband on the D7200 is absolute crap.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #15 of 815
The drivers also have one ohm difference,
As well as a 2db sensitivity difference.
Yep, looking like yet another different driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back