Denon ah d5000
Mar 2, 2010 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

buddymydog

New Head-Fier
I am thinking about getting a Denon ah d5000 with a portable amp, like an emmeline hornet or a headroom micro amp, this is a starting point for me, I was also considering the akg k701s but I keep reading they are bass light. Unfortunately there are no places in Maine to really listen to high end audio so I can't really compare or figure out what I will like, I am trusting the countless reviews i am reading and I have about 700.00 bucks to work with. JJG
Any advice?, maybe a good amp choice to go with the Denons

Mar 2, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 27
I have never tried anything else but I love my ibasso d10 with bit of opamp rollin on D5000.

Mar 2, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #3 of 27
I say get the D5000's before getting the amp. That way you have a better understanding what the amp actually is doing once you get it. I personally don't use portable amps. And when at home I use what is listed on my sig.

The D5000s are fun, and awesomely comfortable, enjoy!

Mar 2, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 27
I used to have the D5000 and a friend of mine had the hormet. I listened to them once and the D5000 sound pretty good. He had the K701 and I did not like them becuase they were too lean to my taste.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 3, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by artforme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say get the D5000's before getting the amp. That way you have a better understanding what the amp actually is doing once you get it. I personally don't use portable amps. And when at home I use what is listed on my sig.

The D5000s are fun, and awesomely comfortable, enjoy!

Well said
smily_headphones1.gif

Why are you getting a portable amp? Are you planning on taking them with you on trips?

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #6 of 27
I'm skeptical that the K701 would sound amazing on either mobile amp, in any case. Too bad my Micro broke down before I got my D5000's.

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #7 of 27
I work with adults with disabilities and one of the gentleman loves music, he has mild MR and loves listening at the table, so I will be bringing the denons to work with the portable amp so he can also enjoy hearing some of his favorites like zepplin or ac/dc in a way maybe he hasn't experienced before. In my home I will be using the denons and amp with my sansa 8gig listening to some lossless files as well as some mp3s with various bit rates. its funny though id love to actually take the plunge and get some westone es3x customs.
smily_headphones1.gif
JJG

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachkebia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never tried anything else but I love my ibasso d10 with bit of opamp rollin on D5000.

What serial # opamps would you recommend, N?

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What serial # opamps would you recommend, N?

I don,t remember full numbers but this is what I did, I left stock opamp as it was deliverd but changed buffers with opamps that are suppled with opamp rolling kit that comes with d10, I only remember last two numbers 52...

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddymydog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am thinking about getting a Denon ah d5000 with a portable amp, like an emmeline hornet or a headroom micro amp, this is a starting point for me, I was also considering the akg k701s but I keep reading they are bass light. Unfortunately there are no places in Maine to really listen to high end audio so I can't really compare or figure out what I will like, I am trusting the countless reviews i am reading and I have about 700.00 bucks to work with. JJG
Any advice?, maybe a good amp choice to go with the Denons

For what it's worth, i am very happy with the Denon D2000 (exact same drivers as D5000) and iBasso P3 Heron portable amp. I agree the AKG701 is bass-light.

Mar 5, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #11 of 27
One good thing about D5000, even a low end receiver can make it sound good, it is really not picky. When you match it up with a good amp, it sounds really good. Without amp, you'll like it ok.

Mar 5, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #13 of 27
Have anyone tried it w/ a Denon receiver? I'm selling my WA6 so the only amp I have for my D5000 is a entry level Denon AVR-589.

Mar 5, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by SillyHoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have anyone tried it w/ a Denon receiver? I'm selling my WA6 so the only amp I have for my D5000 is a entry level Denon AVR-589.

Personally, i think it would be a shame to not use a dedicated headphone amp with such wonderful & refined headphones as the D5000! For $250 (or $150 used) you can get a superb headphone amp (like the Little Dot Mk3). I find the Denons do really well with tube amps, creating a nice airy & wide soundstage presentation.

Mar 6, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by vlach /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Personally, i think it would be a shame to not use a dedicated headphone amp with such wonderful & refined headphones as the D5000! For $250 (or $150 used) you can get a superb headphone amp (like the Little Dot Mk3). I find the Denons do really well with tube amps, creating a nice airy & wide soundstage presentation.

Well said - I run my D2000 (wish I had a D5000) out of both LD MK I+ and LD MK III tubes amps. They shine out of these nice value tube amps and probably would be crazy out of better ones (although I'm very satisfied). Get a headphone amp that can bring the potential out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back