Denon AH-D5000 or Klipsch Image ONE On-Ear Earphones? Help a newbie please!
Feb 10, 2011 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

BlackHawk1

New Head-Fier
Hi. This looks like a great site! I hope you guys/gals can help a 40 something newbie out. I was looking for some opinions on these 2 particular headphones.I have not had headphones in 20 years. :) Back then I had a pair of Koss that I really liked. My local audio dealer sells both Denon and Klipsch, but they do not have these particular models for me to try out. They had 3 lower end Denon's (the most expensive Denon being $99.00) and they had just Klipsch earbuds. I hate to buy without listening first, but it looks as if though I will have to do that. So I would greatly appreciate some opinions on these. I am not a bass head, but I would like bass as I understand some headphones are very shy in that area. I don't like BOOM, I like tight punchy bass more so. Looking at some reviews both of these models seem to have bass that other headphones lack. I know there is a large price difference between these two and I am wondering if the Klipsch is almost on par with the Denon despite price. The reviews seem to lead me to believe they may just be almost as good for a lot less money. I also get the impression that the Klipsch doesn't need an amp where as the Denon may or may not... that view seems to depend on who is doing the review. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

P.S. I can get the Klipsch for $89.00 and the Denon for $399.00. Both of these would be from authorized internet dealers.

Feb 10, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #2 of 22
I found the old Koss headphones I had years ago. They are the Koss HV/1A. It's been longer than 20 years! :) Link...

http://vintageheadphones.blogspot.com/2009/05/koss-hv1a-stereo-headphones.html

Feb 10, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #3 of 22
Welcome to head-fi 
smile.gif

It seems like the Denons may suit you, they work ok unamped. But having one (amp) is recommended. 
The bass is not overpowering and is very accurate...after some extensive burn in, it tightens up. 

I havent had the chance to use the Klipsch yet. 

Feb 10, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 22
Hi, I think it all depends on what you will be using them with. I havent heard the Klipsch but own the D2000's (the model below D5000). I believe from what I have read the Klipsch are aimed more for portable use with mp3 players etc. The D5000's are more for a Hifi set up and so will need a good amp to drive them and also to get the best sound too. The D2000's which are similar in sound signature to the 5000's have a big soundstage and deep bass that charli3 has pointed out tightens up after burn in.  

Feb 10, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 22

I had the Klipsch Image One for about two months and gave them away yesterday. I bought them at the Apple store along with the Philips Stretch headphone. I think those two are about equivalent in overall sound, but I thought the Klipsch had a strong midrange coloration that's not there in the Philips, and the Philips is cheaper than the Klipsch. The Philips is tilted more toward the bass than the Sennheisers I have, and the bass is pretty solid, even with the iPod or iPhone. Another problem I had with the Klipsch is that deep bass seemed to break up or get muddy when the volume was loud.

Feb 11, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #6 of 22
Thanks to everyone that replied. I appreciate it! I wish I had access to these to listen to them myself... that way I would know for sure. Unfortunately as I said in my original post... my dealer doesn't have them on hand. Is it possible to order a few different pairs from some place, try them out, and return the ones I don't like? Is that allowed? Are there restocking fees? I'm not sure of the policies and everything.

I'm told the Audio Technica ATH-M50 is also very good and it has some qualities/characteristics of the Denon's at a much cheaper price. Have any of you listened to these and what are your thoughts? The M50 is listed as a "studio" headphone rather than a "audiophile" headphone which concerns me. Shouldn't I be looking at audiophile headphones?

Some reviews say the Denon D2000, D5000, and D7000 have very little differences between them while others say the D7000 is the clear winner. The D7000 supposedly has a little bit better mids and highs, and more than anything has tighter bass while the bass with the D2000 and D5000 is a bit much and flabby. Thoughts on this? I can get the D5000 for $399. from Amazon.com and the D7000 from Electronic Expo for $560 shipped with a coupon code. I checked and both are authorized Denon dealers, but Electronic Expo gets very bad reviews. It seems people have a lot of various issues with them.

I listen to all kinds of music except for rap and country.

Feb 11, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #9 of 22
Thanks for that Deso! I did see that Woot deal. The other day via Ebates they had them from the same dealer for $89.00 shipped before tax. That seemed very reasonable and the reviews I checked on gave them a lot of praise. I wish my local dealer that carries both Klipsch and Denon had these particular models in stock... unfortunately they don't. :frowning2:

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #10 of 22
Ebay is your friend.. I buy plenty of headphones (when I see a good deal) and if I don't like them, I simply sell them on ebay. So my suggestion is, buy the cheaper Image Ones at the discounted price.... if you don't like... sell on ebay for same price.

:)

Feb 12, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #11 of 22

Quote:

I'm told the Audio Technica ATH-M50 is also very good and it has some qualities/characteristics of the Denon's at a much cheaper price. Have any of you listened to these and what are your thoughts? The M50 is listed as a "studio" headphone rather than a "audiophile" headphone which concerns me. Shouldn't I be looking at audiophile headphones?

I have the ATH M50's as well as the D2000's. The M50's are a brilliant all rounder for all types of music, They are studio monitoring hp's but the reason why they are so popular is because they don't sound like "studio" phones! They are too coloured at the low end and offer a nice balance of warmth and detail. Quite balanced with big bass but not overblown. The Denon's are my favorites though, but they aren't as versatile as the m50's. The treble has shown to be a bit too much for a lot of peeps on here, but I love the huge sound-stage(best I've heard in a closed back headphone) I will always recommend the m50's as a first leap into quality headphone territory.  

Feb 12, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #12 of 22

Quote:

Quote:

I have the ATH M50's as well as the D2000's. The M50's are a brilliant all rounder for all types of music, They are studio monitoring hp's but the reason why they are so popular is because they don't sound like "studio" phones! They are too coloured at the low end and offer a nice balance of warmth and detail. Quite balanced with big bass but not overblown. The Denon's are my favorites though, but they aren't as versatile as the m50's. The treble has shown to be a bit too much for a lot of peeps on here, but I love the huge sound-stage(best I've heard in a closed back headphone) I will always recommend the m50's as a first leap into quality headphone territory.  

Thanks for that LugBug!

Your description paints both as being very good. That's tough. How about lending me your Denon and M50 and let me decide what I like the best? LOL! Man I wish I could audition these and make a decision! There's just no place near me that has them. Is it possible to order 3 headphones (D5000, D7000, and the M50) from an online source and return the 2 that I don't want without a penalty?

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #13 of 22
OK I suggest you go have a listen to the Denon DN-HP700, I think they have a better sound than the D5000 and the M50. They offer a solid bass response with great thump and depth without being boomy (D5000), a more forward mid-range than the D5000 and M50, and better treble than both with no sibilance. The sound stage is not quite as big as the D5000 but better than the M50 and they have very nice instrument separation and detail. They haven't had a lot of attention on head-fi but I think they are extremely nice and all for only around $100 in the US!

I will say though I am basing this on a newer pair of M50's which may not be as bassy as the older model but the OP may also have a hard time finding a new pair of the old M50's.

I bought the HP700 as a possible portable option to my D7000 and I may end up actually liking it more! But won't commit to that just yet as they are still just breaking in. BTW |Joker| has the HP700 in his portable review thread and gave them a favorable review as well, my only change I would have compared to his review is that I would give them a 9 out of 10 for sound (but again that is without a full burn-in so I may change my mind on that plus or minus).

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #14 of 22

Feb 13, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #15 of 22

Quote:
OK I suggest you go have a listen to the Denon DN-HP700, I think they have a better sound than the D5000 and the M50. They offer a solid bass response with great thump and depth without being boomy (D5000), a more forward mid-range than the D5000 and M50, and better treble than both with no sibilance. The sound stage is not quite as big as the D5000 but better than the M50 and they have very nice instrument separation and detail. They haven't had a lot of attention on head-fi but I think they are extremely nice and all for only around $100 in the US!

I will say though I am basing this on a newer pair of M50's which may not be as bassy as the older model but the OP may also have a hard time finding a new pair of the old M50's.

I bought the HP700 as a possible portable option to my D7000 and I may end up actually liking it more! But won't commit to that just yet as they are still just breaking in. BTW |Joker| has the HP700 in his portable review thread and gave them a favorable review as well, my only change I would have compared to his review is that I would give them a 9 out of 10 for sound (but again that is without a full burn-in so I may change my mind on that plus or minus).

Thanks for adding to this Dweaver!

That's some very impressive talk about the HP700. Better than the D5000 and possibly better than the D7000?! WOW! That's saying a lot! That mid-range talk really sparks my interest as I've read that the D5000 and D7000 may be a little recessed in the mid-range? And, the treble falls off a little quickly with those two? The HP700 almost sounds perfect. If all of this is true... add in that $100 price on the HP700... that's outstanding! I saw your comment in another thread... "I own a apir of AH-D7000 and think the HP700 has a more forward mid-range than that headphone and close to as good a bass and treble." Again I say... WOW! I will try to find the review you said that Joker gave on the HP700. Thanks!

The D7000 that I am very tempted to purchase... I just got confirmation from a *authorized* online Denon dealer that they would honor a price match of $551.00 from another authorized online Denon dealer that I'm not too keen on ordering from. At that price I am very, VERY tempted to put the order in for the D7000 even without hearing them. You see my situation is... no one near me has any Denon headphones above $100.00 (no brand above $100 that I can find) for me to audition. I am really taking a chance here if I make the D7000 purchase. I am agonizing over this.
smile.gif
It's frustrating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back