Denon AH-D2000 ... Where can I find a set?
Jan 6, 2013 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

gallien

New Head-Fier
Joined
May 9, 2010
Posts
18
Likes
10
Looking to move up from my M50s and I think these cans would be my next step upward. Any ideas of where to purchase them? Used? Anyone have a set they want to sell? 
biggrin.gif

 
Jan 6, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 15

Magicman74

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 16, 2012
Posts
967
Likes
104
Quote:
Looking to move up from my M50s and I think these cans would be my next step upward. Any ideas of where to purchase them? Used? Anyone have a set they want to sell? 
biggrin.gif


Here ya go, only $550....LOL
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Denon-AH-D2000-Headphones-brand-new-never-taken-out-box-rare-discontinued-/321050595991?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item4ac01b5297
Might as well go for the upgrade, The D 5000's are only $1,000...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DENON-Dynamic-Headphones-AH-D5000-EMS-Express-Free-shipping-from-JAPAN-/350678276586?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item51a60dd9ea
Check the FS forum, I've seen them listed for $300 or less from time to time.
 
Jan 6, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 15

gallien

New Head-Fier
Joined
May 9, 2010
Posts
18
Likes
10
Yea I am having to do some hard searching to get a pair. I'll keep an eye out in the FS section. What price do you think is fair? I think 500+ is to high. I was looking for 200-300 max.
 
Jan 6, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #6 of 15

Magicman74

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 16, 2012
Posts
967
Likes
104
Quote:
Yea I am having to do some hard searching to get a pair. I'll keep an eye out in the FS section. What price do you think is fair? I think 500+ is to high. I was looking for 200-300 max.


I think used around 300 should be pretty fair, 350 max.  What's good about the FS forum, Guys here aren't going to try to rob you blind on the price of a used item. For the most part the sellers here are on the Up & Up.  But it's always supply and demand.
 
Jan 6, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 15

Gnomeplay

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 23, 2012
Posts
237
Likes
25
Location
Sarasota, FL
Are you completely set on Denons? They have a different line released that isn't discontinued. That's the only reason you're going to have a hard time finding D2k - 7k for budget prices. There are plenty of other headphones out there to choose from if you want to throw a budget out and some options on what you require from them.
 
Jan 6, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #8 of 15

gallien

New Head-Fier
Joined
May 9, 2010
Posts
18
Likes
10
Quote:
Are you completely set on Denons? They have a different line released that isn't discontinued. That's the only reason you're going to have a hard time finding D2k - 7k for budget prices. There are plenty of other headphones out there to choose from if you want to throw a budget out and some options on what you require from them.

I like the look and to my understanding they have a similar sound to my M50s.  My budget would be around $400. I like heavy bass, closed back, strong build quality, and good noise cancelling. I have a fiio headphone amp that I use as well.
 
Jan 6, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #9 of 15

Roers

New Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 10, 2012
Posts
41
Likes
11
The Denon2-7k are not built like tanks. They are built more so like an expensive china set. Made well, but something you don't take on a picnic.
And they say semi open but they leak alot and outside noise bleeds in.
 
Jan 6, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #11 of 15

Roers

New Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 10, 2012
Posts
41
Likes
11
Quote:
So then is it not a similar experience to my M50s? Would there be something you would recommend more along my criteria? 

Ohhh no. If you liked the M50s you could possibly like the discountinued denon sound. And let me correct myself. They are closed backs but with the space between the drivesr and pads the frame creates makes them leak like semi to semi-open cans.
If you want some good bass the denons won't disappoint. Like At All. Especially coming from your stand point. But the bass would take an amp to shine.
The way the cups are built they are very susceptible to scratches and scuffs.
And what fiio amp do you have?
 
Jan 6, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #12 of 15

Magicman74

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 16, 2012
Posts
967
Likes
104
Quote:
I like the look and to my understanding they have a similar sound to my M50s.  My budget would be around $400. I like heavy bass, closed back, strong build quality, and good noise cancelling. I have a fiio headphone amp that I use as well.


You are talking about the Beyerdynamic DT 770/80's.   Not really, The same sound as Denon's IMO, Denon is more of a V/U shape. The Beyers are close to that tho, They weren't for my taste to me they sounded like this:
MASSIVE ( I MEAN MASSIVE) Hard deep Bass, It was nice and tight too, but to much for me. Earth shaking!!  The mids are a little recessed or pulled back, and the highs could be too sharp for me....To much sizzle for me.  It also has a very good soundstage for a closed can.  It does have a very fun sound .  Too much bass for me, I'm not a big Bass guy.
Build is top quality. A tank could run them over.  If the world ended, Roaches and DT 770's would be left.  And comfy as well...
 
Jan 7, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #13 of 15

gallien

New Head-Fier
Joined
May 9, 2010
Posts
18
Likes
10
Quote:
Ohhh no. If you liked the M50s you could possibly like the discountinued denon sound. And let me correct myself. They are closed backs but with the space between the drivesr and pads the frame creates makes them leak like semi to semi-open cans.
If you want some good bass the denons won't disappoint. Like At All. Especially coming from your stand point. But the bass would take an amp to shine.
The way the cups are built they are very susceptible to scratches and scuffs.
And what fiio amp do you have?

Just an E5 
redface.gif

 
Jan 7, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #14 of 15

Audionaut

New Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 27, 2012
Posts
19
Likes
0
Seems we are on similar paths.  I'm also coming from the M50 and DT 770 (32 ohm).  I started a similar thread last week regarding what's a fair price.  Seems like anything under $350 is the consensus (I personally wouldn't go over $300).  I just got a pair today!  I only paid $180 USD for a nice used pair with the original packaging.  I live in Seoul.  My Korean audiophile friend helped me find it in the Korean audiophile community and negotiated the deal.  I couldn't have done it on my own.  
 
It's easy to drive, but I'm using my Fiio E6 with them and it helps improve the sound a little.  I'm sure a nicer amp would do even more.  
 
Agree with the poster above, the bass is nice and deep and rich, the mids are recessed, and the highs are a little too sharp for me.  Messing around withe EQ helps a bit.  Overall, I love them.  If  you like the M50, you'll like these as well.  Enjoyed them today with some Radiohead, electronic music like Aphex Twin, and some Jazz (Brad Mehldau's Largo, Medeski, Martin, & Wood.)  Sound GREAT with groove, funk, low end bass kind of music.  
 
Jan 7, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #15 of 15

adamlr

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 12, 2012
Posts
1,007
Likes
46
just thought id throw something out there and see if it catches... i was also looking for a reasonably priced d2k but gave up. i am now considering the audio technica a900x, which i hear are the closest thing available. reviews of this headphone are hard to come by, so i was wondering if anyone here has these cans and could comment?
 
and for what its worth, i own dt770s, albeit the 250 ohm version, and the bass is NOT that massive... i eq it up by atleast 3db, sometimes going as high as 10. as a member of the forum once described them to me, "they are vary bass capable". meaning they respond to eqing easily and can produce such a rumble my eardrum begins to vibrate. cant comment on how they compare to the m50s, iv never heard them.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top