Denon AH-D2000 vs. Ultrasone HFI 780
Mar 28, 2008 at 3:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

f00fighters

500+ Head-Fier
I would appreciate as much help as I can get. I've gathered information about these two separately, but I haven't seen anyone do a side by side comparison of the two. I previously owned the Ultrasone HFI 700, which was good, but I sold them and I am searching for something a little better. I prefer clear highs and mids, and a decent amount of bass. I HATE when there's too much bass, and it muffles the highs and mids. I wish my iPhone had a configurable equalizer instead of presets. Anyway, I'm using a C&C XO portable headphone amp, and all my music is in Apple Lossless format. The most i'm willing to spend is $300, but i'd rather spend less
smily_headphones1.gif
From what i've read, the HFI 780 is pretty much the same thing as the HFI 700, minus the appearance. Is this true? And if so, I would still like to know if the Denon's are better. Please, suggestions! I know I'm all over the place here, but are the AKG 701's any better than all of them?

Mar 28, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #2 of 61
Well I'll be getting my HFI-780 in a week and I currently have markl modded D2000s. The D2000s sound awesome right now out of the iBasso D2
smily_headphones1.gif
the bass is nicely textured with just the right amount of weight yet doesn't overpower the rest of the spectrum. I'd recommend the D2000 for now, can't imagine how much better my music can sound
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll let you know once I receive my HFI-780.

Mar 28, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #3 of 61
My ALO780V's are pretty damn great. The ONLY problem I have with it is some harshness of the highs and sibilance at higher volumes. I'm willing to attribute this to my iBasso D2. I'm sure if I had a tube amp, it'd be gone, and these phones would be perfect sonically.

There's plenty of bass on the 780's, but there's this rather remarkable separation of it from the mids and high's. Vocals on this thing are incredibly crisp.

If you get these, just be sure to give them at least 200hrs. On my ALO780V's, I didn't really like them (nor did they wow me) until 150hrs, when for some reason I started to LOVE the sound of these phones.

Apr 3, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #6 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i intend to have both of these soon, im debating on whether the mod of either is worth it or just hype

For me, the D2000 unmodded was unbearable for long listening - TOO MUCH BASS.

Apr 3, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philimon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, the D2000 unmodded was unbearable for long listening - TOO MUCH BASS.

yes, thats what i feel, its a bit too boomy

Apr 4, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #8 of 61
Well I personally felt the bass is almost perfect on my pair of Markl Modded D2000s, just missing a bit on the "impact" department... but the quality and quantity is just right for me
biggrin.gif

Burning in the HFI-780 right now, so I can't make any impressions...

Apr 4, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #9 of 61
Well I sold my D2000's for the HFI780's. The D2000's were uninvolving and boring in my opinion. Notice IN MY OPINION. I'm not the type that listens to warm, laid-back headphones. The best analogy I can make is that the D2000's are to HFI780's as the Senns are to Grado's. I've owned all four and that's how I would characterize it. It's all up to your own preferences. The bass impact on the D2000 just didn't cut it, and nothing you do can increase the impact that I would have liked. I fell asleep listening to it. But that may be something you are looking for. The AKD701's are something you should be wary of. They need tube amps to sound their greatest, and its bass, is very accurate, but anything but involving (if you like impactful bass that gets your toes tapping).

Apr 4, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #11 of 61
I got'em both. I do not find the D2000s remotely "boomy" or "bassy", nor do I find them light on bass either. I prefer the D2000s by a considerable margin, but I do enjoy the 780s because I can travel with them. Having heard, but do not own the 701s, I still much prefer the Denons.

Apr 4, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #12 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I sold my D2000's for the HFI780's. The D2000's were uninvolving and boring in my opinion. Notice IN MY OPINION. I'm not the type that listens to warm, laid-back headphones. The best analogy I can make is that the D2000's are to HFI780's as the Senns are to Grado's. I've owned all four and that's how I would characterize it. It's all up to your own preferences. The bass impact on the D2000 just didn't cut it, and nothing you do can increase the impact that I would have liked. I fell asleep listening to it. But that may be something you are looking for. The AKD701's are something you should be wary of. They need tube amps to sound their greatest, and its bass, is very accurate, but anything but involving (if you like impactful bass that gets your toes tapping).

Agreed. The D2000 are too mellow for me, and I really miss my 780's while Skylab and then mrarroyo play with them. So, for closed cans I am back to the Edition 9 and hoping I don't scratch them up, my preciousssss.

Apr 4, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #13 of 61
I have ALO 780's that I recently sold off, and a pair of D2000's (fresh, no burn in).

Comparing the two before I sold 780's (approx 200hr burn in on 780):
D2000s are miles ahead in comfort.
780's are much more involving in the music; D2000 is more mellow
Treble on 780's seems to be much more prominent compared to D2000
Bass is a bit more on 780 I'd think, tigher and less boomy as well
Voices seem more natural on D2000's, more exciting on 780 (if that makes sense)
Harshness/Sibilance appears on 780's at very high volumes; D2000 less so
780 seems much more sturdily built
Wider soundstage on D2000?

Which one do I like more? Probably the D2000's, but at the moment it's really only due to comfort and less sibilance/harshness at high volumes. I'm still on the fence as to which sound I like, though. The 780's have a certain quality about them that make vocals pretty awesome to hear IMO. However, the D2000's have a certain all-rounder quality about them that makes them good in their own right.

Apr 4, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #14 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by CountChoculaBot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have ALO 780's that I recently sold off, and a pair of D2000's (fresh, no burn in).

Comparing the two before I sold 780's (approx 200hr burn in on 780):
D2000s are miles ahead in comfort.
780's are much more involving in the music; D2000 is more mellow
Treble on 780's seems to be much more prominent compared to D2000
Bass is a bit more on 780 I'd think, tigher and less boomy as well
Voices seem more natural on D2000's, more exciting on 780 (if that makes sense)
Harshness/Sibilance appears on 780's at very high volumes; D2000 less so
780 seems much more sturdily built
Wider soundstage on D2000?

Which one do I like more? Probably the D2000's, but at the moment it's really only due to comfort and less sibilance/harshness at high volumes. I'm still on the fence as to which sound I like, though. The 780's have a certain quality about them that make vocals pretty awesome to hear IMO. However, the D2000's have a certain all-rounder quality about them that makes them good in their own right.

I agree, except I was able to deal with the 780's highs stock, and if I'd never demo'd ALO modded ones I would have kept them stock for a while. I like the exciting > mellow I suppose. Not so much that I would sell the D2000, at least not now. There are times I want to be mellow, but I could never live with just one or the other.

Apr 4, 2008 at 11:09 AM Post #15 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by CountChoculaBot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 780's have a certain quality about them that make vocals pretty awesome to hear IMO. However, the D2000's have a certain all-rounder quality about them that makes them good in their own right.

That's why I've decided to keep BOTH -- each is very good at what they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back